GPU fans running wild

TKChris
Go to solution Solved by GhostRoadieBL,

you wouldn't happen to have a powered USB hub on the system right? I ran into this obscure case a few years back where a cheap hub was back-feeding power into the motherboard's USB which shared grounds with various components (super weird but unplug the hub and my GPU fans ramped down to normal, plug in and max speed)

based on the temps a repaste shouldn't be needed, based on CPUID the card isn't sending rpm reading to the programs so I would try setting it higher to 50% and see if the fans react then walk it down to where it won't go any lower or starts to ramp back up (safety in the card's firmware when not enough amperage is sent to the fan to start them spinning causing it to default or go full speed to protect the components from a fan rpm signal loss) That card is on the edge of the "stop fans" generations which allowed zero rpm and gave the fans a kick to start spinning before going to the setting in the OS.

I would also uncheck "use firmware control mode" and "enable user defined software control" and restart the machine to see if it's software talking to hardware or firmware talking to hardware. basically remove the layers of control until the fans act normally and reintroduce the controls one by one to narrow the possibilities.

Hi there, i got a brand new system but with my older 1060 6gb gpu.
When in windows, i sit on 20-27 degrees, but my gpu is still running wild with the fan speed.
I have tried Afterburner where I can adjust curves and speed, but to no effect.
I have updated the drivers with Nvidia experience, with no effect.
The airflow is optimal and I have no hindrance in my case.
Here is my Build.
Fractal Design Define R6 Gunmetal
ASUS ROG Strix B550-F GAMING

WD Black SN850 1TB M.2 SSD
Noctua NH-D15 CPU Køler
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Processor
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600MHz 16GB (32gb in total)
Corsair 750W psu ( cant remember name or model )
and my Asus Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 6gb

All my temps are good, i've set curves as I want, but still cranks very high fan speed. What can i do?
Side note, it has never been taken apart or been repasted.
Help me LTT forum, your my only hope.

Capture.PNG

Check what software starts at boot, things like OpenHardwareMonitor or similar should be able to override the % fan speed, not the curve but fixed percentage of speed. If it's not the problem it could be a temporary fix.

you wouldn't happen to have a powered USB hub on the system right? I ran into this obscure case a few years back where a cheap hub was back-feeding power into the motherboard's USB which shared grounds with various components (super weird but unplug the hub and my GPU fans ramped down to normal, plug in and max speed)

based on the temps a repaste shouldn't be needed, based on CPUID the card isn't sending rpm reading to the programs so I would try setting it higher to 50% and see if the fans react then walk it down to where it won't go any lower or starts to ramp back up (safety in the card's firmware when not enough amperage is sent to the fan to start them spinning causing it to default or go full speed to protect the components from a fan rpm signal loss) That card is on the edge of the "stop fans" generations which allowed zero rpm and gave the fans a kick to start spinning before going to the setting in the OS.

I would also uncheck "use firmware control mode" and "enable user defined software control" and restart the machine to see if it's software talking to hardware or firmware talking to hardware. basically remove the layers of control until the fans act normally and reintroduce the controls one by one to narrow the possibilities.

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

Dude, you were right! I had never guessed that!

I unplugged my front panel connections, and the fan speeds fell instantly.
I think it has to do with my motherboard's build. I got 2 nvme drive possibilities in my board, but that means I sacrifice USB3 connections. So when my front panel is plugged it is in fact a powered usb hub.
If I remember correctly, Linus actually mentioned this about ports and sacrifices in the review video for my board.. 
But thanks a lot man. You solved my issue.