Need Help Looking for This Part

daviden
Go to solution Solved by kb5zue,

You could check with Radio Shack but I don't think they're open this late.  All joking aside, try one of the places listed on the website below.  You should be able to find what you're looking for without any problems.

https://www.build-electronic-circuits.com/buy-electronic-components/

I am trying to replace the potentiometer from a Guitar Hero X-Plorer whammy bar. I know that it is a 10K and it has this key cut into it. I've tried buying and modifying a couple different kinds with poor results (usually because of bad modification lol). By this point I would really like to find as close to a direct replacement as I can get. If anyone knows how I can find one of these that would be awesome.

A couple pictures for reference (of the broken one)

IMG_20220116_210649.thumb.jpg.7c0585aead337a331018c951702df2ec.jpgIMG_20220116_210622.thumb.jpg.90b85ba3f19ff61ba660fda80be0e5a3.jpg

9 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

You could check with Radio Shack but I don't think they're open this late.  All joking aside, try one of the places listed on the website below.  You should be able to find what you're looking for without any problems.

https://www.build-electronic-circuits.com/buy-electronic-components/

Wow, nice. I'll look through these sites. Thanks!

3 hours ago, daviden said:

Wow, nice. I'll look through these sites. Thanks!

Glad to help.  Good Luck.

Tube Depot, Small Bear electronics, Antique Electronics Supply are some good resources for this - you'll have an easier time trying to find a usable pot with them than navigating the dumpster fire that is the Digi-Key / Mouser potentiometers section.

B10K is the useful information here - it's a 10k pot, and the B means that it's a linear taper. For reference, A is an audio taper (logarithmic) and C is an inverse logarithmic taper. It looks to me like it has a flatted/D shaft, probably 6 mm in diameter (but it could be 0.25 inches as well, which is NOT the same as 6mm). 

Was this PCB mounted? 

On 1/18/2022 at 12:10 AM, H713 said:

Tube Depot, Small Bear electronics, Antique Electronics Supply are some good resources for this - you'll have an easier time trying to find a usable pot with them than navigating the dumpster fire that is the Digi-Key / Mouser potentiometers section.

B10K is the useful information here - it's a 10k pot, and the B means that it's a linear taper. For reference, A is an audio taper (logarithmic) and C is an inverse logarithmic taper. It looks to me like it has a flatted/D shaft, probably 6 mm in diameter (but it could be 0.25 inches as well, which is NOT the same as 6mm). 

Was this PCB mounted? 

Just saw this reply now lol. I think I have it (mostly) figured out. My main problem was that the amount of travel between no whammy and full whammy (from Window's perspective) was too great. In other words, the 30ish degrees of spin I had available wasn't enough distance to create much of an increase in resistance compared to the stock ones which were able to whammy a lot more. I don't really know why that is the case, but I have it working enough that I'm gonna leave it be for now using another pot I found.

Also no, it was not PCB mounted. It has a custom little plastic mount thing it sits in. 

Also also, thanks for the info on what the "B" in B10K meant I was curious about that.