I have watched LTT for over a year now, but joined the forum 10 minutes ago.

I want 64 GB of the fastest DDR3 RAM. I want help on where to buy 16 GB DIMMs. It can't be ECC either because I have a consumer motherboard. Before you scream at me, I have a compatible motherboard. It is the AsRock 990FX Extreme3. It supports up to 64 GB of DDR3. It also only has 4 RAM slots. I also can't replace a whole bunch of stuff because that would mean new motherboard, cpu, and cooler AND the DDR4 RAM.

12 minutes ago, Soccera said:

I have watched LTT for over a year now, but joined the forum 10 minutes ago.

I want 64 GB of the fastest DDR3 RAM. I want help on where to buy 16 GB DIMMs. It can't be ECC either because I have a consumer motherboard. Before you scream at me, I have a compatible motherboard. It is the AsRock 990FX Extreme3. It supports up to 64 GB of DDR3. It also only has 4 RAM slots. I also can't replace a whole bunch of stuff because that would mean new motherboard, cpu, and cooler AND the DDR4 RAM.

what do you need 64 gigs of ram for? if you're just gaming you're going to be throwing money away. even 32 gigs is kind of overkill

4 minutes ago, Martycrane said:

what do you need 64 gigs of ram for? if you're just gaming you're going to be throwing money away. even 32 gigs is kind of overkill

Simply, rendering and RAM hungry video games at the same time.

5 minutes ago, Soccera said:

fair enough. https://www.newegg.ca/vaseky-32gb-240-pin-ddr3-sdram/p/0RN-00NZ-00087?Item=9SIAKTMFAV6556&Description=ddr3 ram 32gb&cm_re=ddr3_ram 32gb-_-9SIAKTMFAV6556-_-Product&cm_sp=SP-_-774554-_-0-_-1-_-9SIAKTMFAV6556-_-ddr3 ram 32gb-_-ddr3|ram-_-3

16 gig sticks, but only 2 dimms, so you'd have to buy two

Edited by Martycrane
found a link

Keep in mind the fineprint :

[...]
- Max. capacity of system memory: 64GB**

*1866/1800/1600MHz memory speed is supported depend on the AM3/AM3+ CPU you adopt. For detail CPU specification, please refer AMD official website.

**To reach the maximum 64GB of system memory, memory modules with 16GB capacity or above are required. ASRock will update the memory support list on the official website once these memory modules are available on the market.

The latest BIOS is from 2015 and there's only a few 8 GB sticks in the memory QVL list ... in all but one case they tested only with 2 sticks installed, the exception being 4 sticks of 8 GB running at 1333 Mhz sticks.

Honestly, I wouldn't throw almost $200 on ram.

2 hours ago, Soccera said:

What are you rendering with?  Amateur programs/productions will probably not really make much use of that much RAM, and anything your doing with DDR3 is going to be way slower than getting a DDR4 compatible processor with literally like 8GB of RAM.  If you already have your platform just get 16 or 32 tops and call it a day.  Any project you'd be making with a DDR3 platform isn't going to take that long to render regardless, so it'd be silly to spend money on minimal differences in time usage.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

Get matching sticks of DDR3 with good timings and 1600mhz. Crucial Ballistix Sport are my go to RAM sticks, I have 32GB (4x8GB) and coupled with a Samsung EVO SSD and my i7-4790k, it makes for one zippy PC. I originally bought the first 2 sticks new, but the other 2 were used sticks. Just go on eBay and grab some used RAM from a trusted seller, someone with good feedback and score. Whatever you are going to buy new is going to be overpriced or usually some Chinese brand. 32GB of RAM is complete overkill for pretty much any game you throw at it. I just looked up your mobo and it's an AM3+ board that only supports Phenom II processors. I would just get some 1600mhz RAM that supports XMP. I'm not sure overclocking RAM is going to make a huge difference on something that old. You are talking a few FPS on newer hardware on newer systems.