Why Can't I Find A MOBA I Like?

RelentlessAF

So I will play any game from any genre as long as I enjoy it so I have a huge variety of games I play. However the only genre I can't seem to get into MOBA's. I've tried LoL Dota 2 and Smite. I just don't like any of them it's odd to me because I play anything from racing games to first person shooters to MMO's are they any others I could try that might be enjoyable or do you think it's a lost cause?

Heroes of the storm, skyrim online, dayz....???

Those aren't MOBA's those are MMO's and also I don't like games with zombies in them

Those aren't MOBA's those are MMO's and also I don't like games with zombies in them

Heroes of the Storm is actually a new MOBA from Blizzard, it is shit in my opinion though lol Never know you might like it though.

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

Maybe MOBA isn't for you? I find that I play better in FPS than MOBA

You're not the only one. I have a bunch of friends who play lol and/or dota. I've played both of them, with my friends and with a random group, and I don't see the mass apeal. The only reason I enjoyed my time playing them what so ever, was that it was with my friends. But we could play the worst game in the world and still have fun together. Now I'm not saying that it is necessarly a bad game, just not my sort of game.

ya i know that r mmos but u play mmo so....but i find them better than mobas... :)

So I will play any game from any genre as long as I enjoy it so I have a huge variety of games I play. However the only genre I can't seem to get into MOBA's. I've tried LoL Dota 2 and Smite. I just don't like any of them it's odd to me because I play anything from racing games to first person shooters to MMO's are they any others I could try that might be enjoyable or do you think it's a lost cause?

you just font like Mobas. i think u might only like games ur good at.

for example. everyone is complete ass at Dota 2. its just the way the game is, you are shit and its a never ending strive to be the best

for example. everyone is complete ass at Dota 2. its just the way the game is, you are shit and its a never ending strive to be the best

That sounds an awful lot like Starcraft, except that I like to play Starcraft :x

The key difference is that in SC, you are playing one on one, you're not relying on 4 other invertebrates that may or may not have the intelligence of a bloody fish.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

I just don't like MOBA at all, watching OR playing. Saying that I am not big into strategy or MMO, with the odd exception

You don't have to like all genres. What is good is that you give them a chance and try to appreciate them for what they are. Dont feel bad that you don't enjoy it. We cant all enjoy all genres, music, films, whatever not everyone likes all of them

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I just don't like MOBA at all, watching OR playing. Saying that I am not big into strategy or MMO, with the odd exception

You don't have to like all genres. What is good is that you give them a chance and try to appreciate them for what they are. Dont feel bad that you don't enjoy it. We cant all enjoy all genres, music, films, whatever not everyone likes all of them

Makes a lot of sense :) I guess that will just have to be the genre I don't like than. My current favorite genre to play is Third-Person Shooters. I've been playing a lot of Mass Effect (TPSRPG) and Dead Space recently and just finished Spec Ops: The Line not too long ago.

I'm not good at sports games but I like those. I'm also terrible at guitar hero yet I play it and have a good time.

Makes a lot of sense :) I guess that will just have to be the genre I don't like than. My current favorite genre to play is Third-Person Shooters. I've been playing a lot of Mass Effect (TPSRPG) and Dead Space recently and just finished Spec Ops: The Line not too long ago.

Those are all really good games, (Mass Effect i have done 3 full run through of all 3 games, done all dead space games including 3 in co-op just a few months back, and spec ops was really good too, great shocking story)

yeah exactly, just enjoy what you enjoy. just be happy you arent some fanboy that only likes one genre and are willing to try things outside your comfort zone

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

The entire Mass Effect series was fantastic up until the last 15 minutes of the third game. 

Dead Space was also great. Not really all that frightening as they use a lot of jump scares... but desperately trying to flee from a beast that simply regenerates everything you shoot off of it really gets the blood flowing. And the atmosphere was great. Too bad the second and third titles fell far short of those feelings.

But yeah, I can't really get into MOBAs much either. I have Dota 2, of course... played a few rounds against bots and then played with some friends. It's not really my thing. I don't want to have to learn what character is good for playing the lanes, and which is good in the jungle... or how this skill works against this character and how that character can beat your character. I know a lot of people like to throw around the term "dumbing down" when referring to a lot of games... but sometimes, it's required. Maybe I'm just not intelligent as some other people... or maybe I'm just lazy.

Yeah... lazy.

I will be trying Heroes of the Storm though. I like how Blizzard "dumbs down" their games to the point where most people are able to pick them up and understand everything they need to know to play them within an hour or so. Maybe HotS will get me into MOBAs.

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

The entire Mass Effect series was fantastic up until the last 15 minutes of the third game. 

Dead Space was also great. Not really all that frightening as they use a lot of jump scares... but desperately trying to flee from a beast that simply regenerates everything you shoot off of it really gets the blood flowing. And the atmosphere was great. Too bad the second and third titles fell far short of those feelings.

But yeah, I can't really get into MOBAs much either. I have Dota 2, of course... played a few rounds against bots and then played with some friends. It's not really my thing. I don't want to have to learn what character is good for playing the lanes, and which is good in the jungle... or how this skill works against this character and how that character can beat your character. I know a lot of people like to throw around the term "dumbing down" when referring to a lot of games... but sometimes, it's required. Maybe I'm just not intelligent as some other people... or maybe I'm just lazy.

Yeah... lazy.

I will be trying Heroes of the Storm though. I like how Blizzard "dumbs down" their games to the point where most people are able to pick them up and understand everything they need to know to play them within an hour or so. Maybe HotS will get me into MOBAs.

I could give that Heroes of Storm game a shot. I really didn't hate the ending of Mass Effect 3 like others did. It just bothered me there was no closure. I said to all of my squadmates that I would survive and I didn't even get to see their reaction to my death. Or proposed death since I got the "Perfect Ending" It was just kind of disappointing. Now Mass Effect 4 won't even be about Shepard and I'll never know what happened after the end :(

I could give that Heroes of Storm game a shot. I really didn't hate the ending of Mass Effect 3 like others did. It just bothered me there was no closure. I said to all of my squadmates that I would survive and I didn't even get to see their reaction to my death. Or proposed death since I got the "Perfect Ending" It was just kind of disappointing. Now Mass Effect 4 won't even be about Shepard and I'll never know what happened after the end :(

I didn't even care about that. I hated their half-assed explanation as to how and why the Reapers exist. It was incredibly stupid.

You're told in the first game that humanity is incapable of understanding the Reapers' purpose for continuing their cycle of erasing sentient life. That built mystery... tension.

Then the final moments of ME3 comes along and some Space God tells you that if he didn't build giant space-faring robots to destroy all sentient beings, they would simply destroy the galaxy and everything in it.

It was so deus ex machina... and so cliche... and so...... boring.

EDIT: Added spoiler tags for anyone who hasn't finished the games...

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

-snip-

I really didn't pay much attention to that too be honest xD I did however feel so immersed in the games all the way through and it was awesome, I felt like I actually was Shepard. I actually got to the point where I felt like I was saying everything and the characters were responding to me. Really good design to do that :)

I really didn't pay much attention to that too be honest xD I did however feel so immersed in the games all the way through and it was awesome, I felt like I actually was Shepard. I actually got to the point where I felt like I was saying everything and the characters were responding to me. Really good design to do that :)

Oh yes. Like I said... everything up until that final moment was fantastic. Even after I ranted about the ending in a party with friends... I've been trying to get one of them to purchase the games and play them. He says he will, but doesn't like the idea of playing a series of games when he knows how bad the ending is already.

I told him it's about the journey, not the destination. 

Oh yes. Like I said... everything up until that final moment was fantastic. Even after I ranted about the ending in a party with friends... I've been trying to get one of them to purchase the games and play them. He says he will, but doesn't like the idea of playing a series of games when he knows how bad the ending is already.

I told him it's about the journey, not the destination. 

Yeah I knew about the ending before I got to ME3 but I figured that it couldn't do anything to not make me enjoy the ride. The rush of having to complete all the tasks and feeling like you are the last hope for humanity felt awesome.

My favorite part was when you have to cure the Genophage on the Krogan homeworld and are trying to summon the largest Thresher Maw to kill the reaper. Everything blowing up and falling apart around you and trying to sprint to activate the hammers was incredible :D

That sounds an awful lot like Starcraft, except that I like to play Starcraft :x

The key difference is that in SC, you are playing one on one, you're not relying on 4 other invertebrates that may or may not have the intelligence of a bloody fish.

funny u mention that. everyone feels like their teammates are stupid.... the rating system is fairly accurate. you ARE matched with people equal to your play. if you think ur better than ur team then play better and get out of the mmr you are in.

otherwise you are like most dumbasses and think they are better than they actually are

I'm not good at sports games but I like those. I'm also terrible at guitar hero yet I play it and have a good time.

yea but those are more casual, and dont really have a learning curve that mobas have (speaking more for dota 2 since its the only thing i play regularly). even just to be a beginner, learn all the basic mechanics, know what all the heroes do etc takes alot longer then figuring out hoe to move and shoot or strum a guitar. the basics are much more compluicated and mastering them are even harder. difficulty wise Dota 2 could in theory be the hardest game out there. because there is no point to reach.its the closest thing to an open platform where a game is all about skill. (with maybe an exception to something like street fighter, i dont understand the difficulty enough at this time)

funny u mention that. everyone feels like their teammates are stupid.... the rating system is fairly accurate. you ARE matched with people equal to your play. if you think ur better than ur team then play better and get out of the mmr you are in.

otherwise you are like most dumbasses and think they are better than they actually are

As I said, I play starcraft instead. I don't have any excuses when I fail :P

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Dude...you can't express someone's skill with some numbers.It consists in much more than that.

I feel like MMR is just crap.In LoL ,for example, last season I almost got to Gold.Now,I can't for hell get out of Silver 5 because,even if I get over 20 kills(which happens very often,lol) my team just fucks everything up.They die 1 by 1,even when I tell them "stick together!!!" and I'm left to 1v5, which is pretty much impossible.There's not much you can do by yourself and yourself only in a team game.If you get fed,then you'll probably feed your teamates too,but if they don't know how to use it then it's almost pointless.

In the first 10 games you play before you get into a certain division,this season I won 5 and I got to Silver 5.Last season I won 6 and got to Bronze 4.Literally,what the hell?A friend of mine won 3 games out of 10 and got to Silver 1(no, it wasn't MMR,he had just reached lvl 30).The elo hell is still real!

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case.