Powerline capping at 100mbps

aaronf15

I have the TP-LINK 2000Mbps TL-PA9020PKIT. I'm in the UK with slower internet than a lot of other countries so for the past few years I have only been getting about 70mbps down and 20 up and the powerline adapters where as fast as if I was plugged into my network switch directly. But we have just had installed 1000Mbps down and 130mbps up. The powerline adapter to my PC is capping around 120mbps down and 90up. What is the reason for this? I have read on other forums people with the same adapters getting the speed they paid for. I have never seen gigabit but people with internet of like 350-500mbps seem to be achieving the speeds.

18 minutes ago, aaronf15 said:

I have the TP-LINK 2000Mbps TL-PA9020PKIT. I'm in the UK with slower internet than a lot of other countries so for the past few years I have only been getting about 70mbps down and 20 up and the powerline adapters where as fast as if I was plugged into my network switch directly. But we have just had installed 1000Mbps down and 130mbps up. The powerline adapter to my PC is capping around 120mbps down and 90up. What is the reason for this? I have read on other forums people with the same adapters getting the speed they paid for. I have never seen gigabit but people with internet of like 350-500mbps seem to be achieving the speeds.

Try transferring a file with devices directly behind the powerline instead of a speedtest to the internet. Then try connecting a device directly at your modem, see if you get the actual speed. Most likely the powerline is limited by your electrical wiring in the house and interference. If the wiring in your house is older or the distance is far, speed will go down.

I've never had much luck with Powerline networking. It's better than nothing, but, wireless usually fares much better. 

As I recall using a Powerline adapter on an extension cord or power strip really tanks performance.  Might be something go keep in mind...

Good luck!

The computer isn't the "Thing".....the computer is the "Thing" that gets you to the "Thing".  - excerpt from "Halt and Catch Fire".

12 minutes ago, Naijin said:

Try transferring a file with devices directly behind the powerline instead of a speedtest to the internet. Then try connecting a device directly at your modem, see if you get the actual speed. Most likely the powerline is limited by your electrical wiring in the house and interference. If the wiring in your house is older or the distance is far, speed will go down.

Connected directly I get 1050mbps down. It's a new house so the wiring is the best I can get. I usually would also have an access point connected to the powerline adapter to. But with the speeds being down on the powerline adapter its unplugged so meaning slightly worse performance at the other end of the house,

4 minutes ago, middleclasspoor said:

I've never had much luck with Powerline networking. It's better than nothing, but, wireless usually fares much better. 

As I recall using a Powerline adapter on an extension cord or power strip really tanks performance.  Might be something go keep in mind...

Good luck!

Yes I have heard that so I have always plugged it directly into a socket. I have never had an issue with them in the past but since having FTTP installed its not getting the speeds through it. And its my gaming PC and that is the main reason why I upgraded! 

Powerline has some issues but the biggest problem is that is alot more interference then a few years back.

From your power company that uses digital signals on the cable to do the work the old pulse clocks once did

to the fact that there are alot more signals in the air.

Your wires are not twisted or have any shielding and will act as a giant antenne to pick up all kind of crap which your

powerline adapter has to deal with. You should be able to see that in a signal / noise page?

Lets say the signal strength is 80% but the noise is 60%, so you'll just have the 20% left for the actual bandwith.

4 hours ago, Dujith said:

Powerline has some issues but the biggest problem is that is alot more interference then a few years back.

From your power company that uses digital signals on the cable to do the work the old pulse clocks once did

to the fact that there are alot more signals in the air.

Your wires are not twisted or have any shielding and will act as a giant antenne to pick up all kind of crap which your

powerline adapter has to deal with. You should be able to see that in a signal / noise page?

Lets say the signal strength is 80% but the noise is 60%, so you'll just have the 20% left for the actual bandwith.

How would I check that? This is what I see:

image.thumb.png.089c4e7eedd51d8bdc7be2e85ebc41e0.png

2 hours ago, aaronf15 said:

How would I check that? This is what I see:

Unfortunately, this is the big shortcoming of Powerline. Performance will always vary no matter what the manufacturers claim, because everyone’s wiring and interference is different.

New electrical wiring is one thing. The other factors are the quality of insulation, the number of circuits the adapter must overcome to communicate with the other adapter (ideally, the units should be on the same circuit), presence of other electrical appliances on the same circuit that might be causing EMI, and the presence of surge protectors, line conditioners, extension strips, etc.

Try with the Powerline adapters in the same room, hopefully on the same circuit, with as many other appliances turned off. Run the speed test. Gradually turn stuff back on and re-test to see what causes the speed to fall off. The adapters aren’t malfunctioning; they’re trying to use the best signal that they can given what is being loaded onto the electrical circuit(s).