Network limited - HP ProBook 6560b

MigasTigas

[I'm aware this is a duplicate from the Laptops & Pre-Builts]

Hi,

My father-in-law received an old laptop and decided to use it as his main computer. The laptop is in apparenly good conditions, however it didn't have any HDD. Luckily I had a broken laptop with an 320gb HDD with windows 8.1 there, so I plugged it in, and booted up just perfectly.

The thing is when connecting to the home's wi-fi it always show "Network Limited" and can't access the Internet, but by Ethernet it works just fine. I tried with my phone's hotspot and worked fine also.

I tried to update the drivers, replace the wi-fi card with the other from the broken laptop (it didn't like that, fans ramped to 100%), reset the ipconfig via commands:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ip config /flushdns

and followed this tutorial: https://www.lifewire.com/resolve-connectivity-errors-in-windows-818232

Nothing worked...

Any ideia on what could that be?

Current Rig:

Mobo - MSI B450 Pro-Max VDH | CPU - Ryzen 5 3600 (AMD duh) | GPU - GTX 1660 Super (MSI) | WAM - 2 x 8GB 3200MHz (G.SKILLS Ripjaws)Storage - 1 x 256GB SSD (Crucial MX500) + 1 x 2TB | HDD 7200RPM (Seagate Barracuda) | PSU - Cooler Master 450W | Case - Cooler Master Q300L | Display - Asus VP248QG (Main) + AOC 24B1W1 | Other Stuff - Bloody B120 (Keyboard) + HP X220 Gaming Mouse + Asus A541UJ (Laptop)

32 minutes ago, MigasTigas said:

Any ideia on what could that be?

1. What make/model of WiFi adapter does the laptop use?
  2. What wireless access point or router are you attempting to connect to? What are its wireless settings (e.g. 2.4GHz/5GHz, channel, channel width, security/encryption type)?
  3. When you moved the HDD, did you install Windows 8 from fresh or did you use the existing installation?
  4. Have you tried resetting the network adapter?

5 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

1.What make/model of WiFi adapter does the laptop use?

Not sure, the windows only displays as "Network adapter 802.11n broadcom", I do have photos of the wifi card, but doesn't have model in it (or I can't see it where)

12 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

What wireless access point or router are you attempting to connect to? What are its wireless settings (e.g. 2.4GHz/5GHz, channel, channel width, security/encryption type)?

To the router itself, im not sure what is the channel and channel width (but if I had to guess it it tried in channel 11, 20 and 40MHz), but all settings are default, in 2.4GHz

15 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

When you moved the HDD, did you install Windows 8 from fresh or did you use the existing installation?

Just moved the HDD, windows 8 then fetched the drivers to the new laptop

15 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

Have you tried resetting the network adapter?

Yes, twice

Current Rig:

Mobo - MSI B450 Pro-Max VDH | CPU - Ryzen 5 3600 (AMD duh) | GPU - GTX 1660 Super (MSI) | WAM - 2 x 8GB 3200MHz (G.SKILLS Ripjaws)Storage - 1 x 256GB SSD (Crucial MX500) + 1 x 2TB | HDD 7200RPM (Seagate Barracuda) | PSU - Cooler Master 450W | Case - Cooler Master Q300L | Display - Asus VP248QG (Main) + AOC 24B1W1 | Other Stuff - Bloody B120 (Keyboard) + HP X220 Gaming Mouse + Asus A541UJ (Laptop)

4 minutes ago, MigasTigas said:

Not sure, the windows only displays as "Network adapter 802.11n broadcom", I do have photos of the wifi card, but doesn't have model in it (or I can't see it where)

Look in Device Manager. It should be listed.

5 minutes ago, MigasTigas said:

To the router itself, im not sure what is the channel and channel width (but if I had to guess it it tried in channel 11, 20 and 40MHz), but all settings are default, in 2.4GHz

Log into the router and find out the settings exactly. Some settings might be incompatible with older adapters. In this scenario, you might have to enable legacy support if it is available, but this might significantly limit the performance of your wireless network for all connected devices.

7 minutes ago, MigasTigas said:

Just moved the HDD, windows 8 then fetched the drivers to the new laptop

Hmmm. You might have had a better experience if you just installed Windows fresh. There are a lot of little problems that might be difficult to solve when you do this type of transfer. Hopefully, it's the last resort to fix this particular problem.

8 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

Look in Device Manager. It should be listed.

Found it, it's a Broadcom 4313GN 802.11 b/g/n WiFi adapter. 

11 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

Log into the router and find out the settings exactly. Some settings might be incompatible with older adapters. In this scenario, you might have to enable legacy support if it is available, but this might significantly limit the performance of your wireless network for all connected devices.

Hmm I can't check now because I'm not in his place..

12 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

Hmmm. You might have had a better experience if you just installed Windows fresh. There are a lot of little problems that might be difficult to solve when you do this type of transfer. Hopefully, it's the last resort to fix this particular problem.

I might do it, that way picks everything to that computer, not repurpose drivers 

Current Rig: