What CPU for 4 4k cameras in OBS for live streams

SeitzO

Budget (including currency): 350€ max for CPU, 1400€ total on build

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly just for Live Calls, Webinars, Streams

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hi!

I'm wondering if the 10600KF would be sufficient for the capturing 4 cameras (4k) into OBS and then have that 1080p feed for live calls etc.

Some store here told me i should aim for something like a ryzen 9 but i feel like thats way overkill. or are they right?

rest of the build.

Asus tuf

gtx 1660

Thank you so much!

cheers from Germany!

How are you capturing the 4K cameras? 

Are you gonna have all four cameras at the same time on screen? 

If you use pci-e hdmi capture cards, you'll want to make sure the motheboard has enough pci-e slots (and spaced from the video card to not block air flow)

If you use usb capture cards, the cheap ones have a hardware encoder chip in them, so they basically capture the 4K video and encode it to h264 or other codec and send 20-50 mbps of encoded video to the driver which then decodes it and passes it to OBS 

Video playback is not that cpu intensive 

The encoding you can do it with nvEnc on that 1660 card, so that also doesn't take cpu.

If the computer will be mainly for streaming, then you could go with a 5700g and no video card to save money, you could use software encoder (x264) to encode the 1080p stream 

5700g is 300 euro, and it's around 50% more powerful than that 10600KF chip from Intel. 

It's mostly the GPU that will do the job so it should be just fine. 

And if you're only outputting 1080p anyway you could set the cameras to 1080p...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

53 minutes ago, mariushm said:

How are you capturing the 4K cameras? 

Are you gonna have all four cameras at the same time on screen? 

If you use pci-e hdmi capture cards, you'll want to make sure the motheboard has enough pci-e slots (and spaced from the video card to not block air flow)

If you use usb capture cards, the cheap ones have a hardware encoder chip in them, so they basically capture the 4K video and encode it to h264 or other codec and send 20-50 mbps of encoded video to the driver which then decodes it and passes it to OBS 

Video playback is not that cpu intensive 

The encoding you can do it with nvEnc on that 1660 card, so that also doesn't take cpu.

If the computer will be mainly for streaming, then you could go with a 5700g and no video card to save money, you could use software encoder (x264) to encode the 1080p stream 

5700g is 300 euro, and it's around 50% more powerful than that 10600KF chip from Intel. 

The cameras are going into a Blackmagic Decklink quad HDMI.

i don't think all 4 will be on at the same time. I could imagine 2 at once, but i don't see how all four would ever make sense in my scenario.

The solution with the 5700g would save me a ton of money, but i couldnt connect 3 monitors right? thats the least i would need. well 2 would work but with a bit of hassle.

and if i could connect 3 monitors, is that system still gonna cut it?

thanks for your quick answer.

8 minutes ago, SeitzO said:

The solution with the 5700g would save me a ton of money, but i couldnt connect 3 monitors right? thats the least i would need. well 2 would work but with a bit of hassle.

and if i could connect 3 monitors, is that system still gonna cut it?

Depends on motherboard. There are motherboards with 3 video outputs, for example MSI B550M Pro-VDH (with or without Wifi) : https://www.amazon.com/MSI-B550M-PRO-VDH-ProSeries-Motherboard/dp/B089D1YG11

It has HDMI, DisplayPort and VGA ... and I'm 95% sure it can do all 3 at the same time.... and otherwise it's quite a solid motherboard, can do even  10 core processors just fine. 

The HDMI and DisplayPort can do 4K, the vga is 2048x1536 max or something like that. 

ASRock B550M Pro4  also has the same 3 connectors ... but check manual to make sure all 3 can work at same time : https://www.amazon.com/ASRock-B550M-PRO4-Processors-Motherboard/dp/B089VY5WVM/

Same with the ASUS TUF GAMING B550M-E (with or without WIFI), has displayport , hdmi and vga.

The ASUS Prime B550M-A WiFi  has HDMI, DVI-D, VGA :   https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-B550M-Motherboard-Memory-Addressable/dp/B081PZTZ4B/

I wouldn't buy it because DVI sucks, it's just another HDMI 1.4, limited to max 1920x1200 at 60 hz (unless you have a dual link dvi cable and a monitor that supports dual link dvi for higher resolutions, up to 2560x1600) 

nVidia cards have the nvEnc encoder on them, so you can do hardware encoding, but the 5700g can do 1080p encoding using the CPU just fine... just 2-3 of its 8 cores would be enough for real time encoding of a 1080p stream.

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H has DisplayPort, HDMI and DVI  but the DVI may be "shared" with the HDMI, meaning only one out of the two would work... I just don't know. It's also an A520 chipset board, a bit weak when it comes to VRM (no heatsink on it) but it should be capable of running a 5700g without throttling it. 

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

Depends on motherboard. There are motherboards with 3 video outputs, for example MSI B550M Pro-VDH (with or without Wifi) : https://www.amazon.com/MSI-B550M-PRO-VDH-ProSeries-Motherboard/dp/B089D1YG11

It has HDMI, DisplayPort and VGA ... and I'm 95% sure it can do all 3 at the same time.... and otherwise it's quite a solid motherboard, can do even  10 core processors just fine. 

The HDMI and DisplayPort can do 4K, the vga is 2048x1536 max or something like that. 

ASRock B550M Pro4  also has the same 3 connectors ... but check manual to make sure all 3 can work at same time : https://www.amazon.com/ASRock-B550M-PRO4-Processors-Motherboard/dp/B089VY5WVM/

Same with the ASUS TUF GAMING B550M-E (with or without WIFI), has displayport , hdmi and vga.

The ASUS Prime B550M-A WiFi  has HDMI, DVI-D, VGA :   https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-B550M-Motherboard-Memory-Addressable/dp/B081PZTZ4B/

I wouldn't buy it because DVI sucks, it's just another HDMI 1.4, limited to max 1920x1200 at 60 hz (unless you have a dual link dvi cable and a monitor that supports dual link dvi for higher resolutions, up to 2560x1600) 

nVidia cards have the nvEnc encoder on them, so you can do hardware encoding, but the 5700g can do 1080p encoding using the CPU just fine... just 2-3 of its 8 cores would be enough for real time encoding of a 1080p stream.

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H has DisplayPort, HDMI and DVI  but the DVI may be "shared" with the HDMI, meaning only one out of the two would work... I just don't know. It's also an A520 chipset board, a bit weak when it comes to VRM (no heatsink on it) but it should be capable of running a 5700g without throttling it. 

WOW!

Thanks so much for taking the time!

much appreciated.