Inferior Nintendo Switch games

So I got a Nintendo Switch Lite for christmas. Being as I don't actually have many games yet I decided to borrow some of my sibling's cartridges. In summary, I feel it won't be long before my new Switch lite console is gathering dust somewhere.

So it's no news to anyone that recent first party Nintendo releases have been somewhat disappointing. One of the first games I tried was Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition. I thought this was a port of the Wii U version with all the accumulated DLC. It's not. It's a port of the 3ds version, and there's a few things you can check tobe certain of this. For one the physics on character costumes is extremely simplistic. In the Wii U version, Link's blue scarf will flutter in the wind as he runs. On 3ds and Switch, the scarf sticks straight out. The lighting and skybox of several levels also conform to the 3ds version of the game.

To be honest, it makes sense. The ARM chip in the Switch is the same architecture as the 3ds, so it would be easier to port the game over, however the game supposedly launched with significant graphical glitches, so maybe they needed a little more time with it. And for some reason they carried over the virtual pet system from the 3ds version. (Seriously, who asked for this?)

I do have the Wii U version on my pc as part of Cemu, and I have noticed the game performs considerably better on the emulator than on the Switch natively, including full 60fps of the treasure chest and victory pose cutscenes on Cemu, vs a 20fps-looking framerate on Switch. Which begs the question, why pay sixty bucks for an inferior version of the game?

30 minutes ago, Dragonwinged said:

So I got a Nintendo Switch Lite for christmas. Being as I don't actually have many games yet I decided to borrow some of my sibling's cartridges. In summary, I feel it won't be long before my new Switch lite console is gathering dust somewhere.

So it's no news to anyone that recent first party Nintendo releases have been somewhat disappointing. One of the first games I tried was Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition. I thought this was a port of the Wii U version with all the accumulated DLC. It's not. It's a port of the 3ds version, and there's a few things you can check tobe certain of this. For one the physics on character costumes is extremely simplistic. In the Wii U version, Link's blue scarf will flutter in the wind as he runs. On 3ds and Switch, the scarf sticks straight out. The lighting and skybox of several levels also conform to the 3ds version of the game.

To be honest, it makes sense. The ARM chip in the Switch is the same architecture as the 3ds, so it would be easier to port the game over, however the game supposedly launched with significant graphical glitches, so maybe they needed a little more time with it. And for some reason they carried over the virtual pet system from the 3ds version. (Seriously, who asked for this?)

I do have the Wii U version on my pc as part of Cemu, and I have noticed the game performs considerably better on the emulator than on the Switch natively, including full 60fps of the treasure chest and victory pose cutscenes on Cemu, vs a 20fps-looking framerate on Switch. Which begs the question, why pay sixty bucks for an inferior version of the game?

Not quite the full picture.

What I can find is that the Switch renders that game at 1080p, doesn't matter if it's docked or not. The Lite has a 720p display and it still renders at 1080p which combined with no dock, lowers the processing power and thus lowers the fps.

Have you tried other games? I have a Lite and play games perfectly fine.

On 1/11/2022 at 11:39 PM, Dragonwinged said:

I've been quite happy with mine, though I've been playing Indies and games designed for the Switch.