speed test extremely slow and regular network seems to be ok...ish

kaylexmorgana

so i am not sure what exactly is going on here.

yesterday this issue arose. speed test is down to dial up speed. it should be gigabit speed. upload is fine. the ping seemed to be slightly higher as well. i had trouble loading webpages and lots of images.

however it seems DL speeds to be fine for some reason. tested steam and battle net.

same thing is happening to my phone as well w/ wifi 6. my pc connected to ethernet. reset the modem and factory reset it.

Screenshot_7.jpg

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

23 minutes ago, kaylexmorgana said:

so i am not sure what exactly is going on here.

yesterday this issue arose. speed test is down to dial up speed. it should be gigabit speed. upload is fine. the ping seemed to be slightly higher as well. i had trouble loading webpages and lots of images.

however it seems DL speeds to be fine for some reason. tested steam and battle net.

same thing is happening to my phone as well w/ wifi 6. my pc connected to ethernet. reset the modem and factory reset it.

If its inconsistent across different services/sites, then its probably a temporary routing issue.  Does your ISP have a service status page?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

43 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

check for packet loss with ping plotter

https://www.pingplotter.com/

Screenshot_8.jpg

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

See that PL at 100%?

There is an issue outside your network (aka the ISP has issues)

Not much you can do about that other than call them and report it.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

See that PL at 100%?

ok thank you for the help

1 minute ago, kaylexmorgana said:

ok thank you for the help

Sure, you can test some other end point addresses (like www.steam.com, or www.google.com) and if they keep failing at the same places, you can send screencaps to your ISP, though I don't know how much they will respond, but it's worth a shot

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

21 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

See that PL at 100%?

That's not how you read traceroutes.

Typically 100% packet loss simply means that router is not responding to ICMP packets, that most often is perfectly normal.  It may suggest contention on that router, it may not, it depends entirely on if that router turns off ICMP when under load or has it off permanently.

You also have to take into account the latency of the hops AFTER that point based on an the estimated distance between those hops in the real world, to get an idea if that latency is merely the laws of physics or may indicate contention.  Phoenix to Pittsburgh is what 2200 miles? 63ms is about 3300 miles of latency.  Considering fiber wont be run in a straight line and there could be invisible hops (as the traffic may go over a tunneling protocol), that's likely perfectly normal.

For example, my 4G WAN has hops with 100% packet loss and a hop with higher than normal latency (its probably quite busy and putting ICMP at low priority).  But if you look at the final hop, its absolutely fine, suggesting no issues.

1  192.168.8.1 (192.168.8.1)  0.254 ms  0.200 ms  0.238 ms
 2  * * *
 3  172.25.211.1 (172.25.211.1)  13.336 ms  15.698 ms  15.693 ms
 4  * * *
 5  * * *
 6  172.25.216.89 (172.25.216.89)  40.301 ms  40.226 ms  38.991 ms
 7  * * *
 8  172.25.195.158 (172.25.195.158)  14.273 ms  22.756 ms  23.936 ms
 9  167.82.128.245 (167.82.128.245)  16.049 ms  20.050 ms  19.925 ms
10  * * *
11  151.101.64.81 (151.101.64.81)  16.382 ms  15.124 ms  16.515 ms

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

34 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

traceroutes

Yeah I was tired when I wrote this and you are right, I was confusing actual packet loss with high ping times.

The OP had reset her modem and router, and on some days all was well, and other days not so much, so it's still an issue with her ISP.

11 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Yeah I was tired when I wrote this and you are right, I was confusing actual packet loss with high ping times.

The OP had reset her modem and router, and on some days all was well, and other days not so much, so it's still an issue with her ISP.

Yes its a tricky one, for starters we'd need a traceroute while the problem is occurring to a site its happening on.  Then compare to a site its not, try to figure out if its inside or outside the ISPs network.  But easiest is to just contact ISP and see if they are having any known issues.

3 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Yes its a tricky one, for starters we'd need a traceroute while the problem is occurring to a site its happening on.  Then compare to a site its not, try to figure out if its inside or outside the ISPs network.  But easiest is to just contact ISP and see if they are having any known issues.

I did ask the OP to ping steam to see whats what, but 9 times out of 10, if a router/modem reset doesn't do it, it's outside of their control.

Networking, good times!

23 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

23 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

I did ask the OP to ping steam to see whats what, but 9 times out of 10, if a router/modem reset doesn't do it, it's outside of their control.

Networking, good times!

so connected ISP. said it isn't on our end and your modem is fine and doesn't know what is happening. and it is happening on multiple platforms(2 computers and my phone i know of) and all services. dota, internet, LOL etc.

it has been like 5 days so i'll have to wait it out i guess.

so connected ISP. said it isn't on our end and your modem is fine and doesn't know what is happening.

That's standard for an ISP.

Do you rent the modem, or own it outright?

11 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

That's standard for an ISP.

Do you rent the modem, or own it outright?

i bought a nighthawk cax30 since theirs sucks ass

47 minutes ago, kaylexmorgana said:

i bought a nighthawk cax30 since theirs sucks ass

Ok, good. Firmware up to date on it?

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

Ok, good. Firmware up to date on it?

Yes

Yes

And everyone in the household is still having the same speed/lab issues?

9 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

And everyone in the household is still having the same speed/lab issues?

yes

Just now, kaylexmorgana said:

yes

And they are all a mix of wifi/wired slash OSes/PCs....so either your modem/router went stupid (unlikely, but always possible) or it's back on the ISP.

Got a spare modem or router to test with?

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

And they are all a mix of wifi/wired slash OSes/PCs....so either your modem/router went stupid (unlikely, but always possible) or it's back on the ISP.

Got a spare modem or router to test with?

my modem has my pc, xbox ps5 and rasberypi. don't even the other 3 that often. my phone connected to the modem, wifi 6.

my linksys router connects the google mesh that connects to my dads computer all the way to the other side of the house. the modem is in my room. both windows 10.

and no.

So everything goes through the linksys router.

Two options:

(a) beg/borrow/rent/buy a new router and test that.

(b) wait and see if the issue goes away.

18 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

So everything goes through the linksys router.

Two options:

(a) beg/borrow/rent/buy a new router and test that.

(b) wait and see if the issue goes away.

No. Only thing using the linksys really are my dads computer and TV outside in living room.

Just now, kaylexmorgana said:

No. Only thing using the linksys really are my dads computer and TV outside in living room.

Then it's on the ISP if it's fluctuating wildly

Or you've got a bad line to the house (had any storms lately that may have damaged things?)

5 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Then it's on the ISP if it's fluctuating wildly

Or you've got a bad line to the house (had any storms lately that may have damaged things?)

No.  My house is only like 2 years old to. 

9 hours ago, kaylexmorgana said:

No.  My house is only like 2 years old to. 

Age of home doesn't govern quality of the line. I've seen newly built homes with crushed underground conduit or drop cables with poorly crimped connectors from the telephone pole to the home. Not saying that's the case here, but don't let age of a product or thing fool you into thinking it "shouldn't be broken."

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)