LG OLED vs Samsung Neo QLED

Hey there,

I'm currently deciding if I want to get the LG C1 (OLED65C17LB) or the Samsung Neo QLED QN90A (GQ65QN90AATXZG).

I don't use sound at all as I have external speakers, I don't care about any features that I can think of really, I just want the best image quality I can get for this price.

But now the question is: What is the best picture quality for my situation? I'm mostly using the TV in a dimmed room to watch movies or to play some games, around 2 hours a day.

Now most people would tend to the OLED because of the low light situation, but is the worse color accuracy and missing HDR10+ support worth the trade-off for the good black color? (I'm a complete noob here, so this sentence might not have made any sense.)

All help appreciated! 🙂

HDR10+ is hardly used. Samsung does not have Dolby Vision which has way way more content.

I don't know where you heard OLEDs don't have accurate colors. They are used to grade Hollywood movies. But even if what you heard is true unless you are a Hollywood colorist yourself you are not going to see any difference.

3 hours ago, JanDev said:

So OLED it is I guess 😄

Pretty much. OLED vs QLED pretty much comes down to the room it's used in. Unless you're in a very bright room or mostly watch during daytime the OLED will almost always deliver the better picture.

Like @dilpickle said the lack of HDR10+ is not a problem because it has Dolby Vision which is used a lot more. Color accuracity is as good - if not better - than most QLED TV's. (When used in Filmmaker mode)

And with the usecase you mentioned i'd not have any concerns with burn-in.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

I recently bought a Sony A80J - it uses the same OLED Panel as the LG C1.

It's fucking amazing. Easily the best TV I've ever seen in person, let alone owned.

It replaced an older LG 50PA6500 1080p Plasma TV, so it had big shoes to fill, and it surpassed expectations.

Basically the C1 will have superior image quality - especially contrast. The colour quality will be excellent with both the C1 and the Neo QLED, but the OLED will probably still take the win there slightly.

The big difference is that the Neo QLED will be brighter. If you can reasonably control the lighting in the room, the C1 is the better choice.

Here's a good comparison of them - you can also check out the full reviews for both:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/lg-c1-oled-vs-samsung-qn90a-qled/21421/21551?usage=1&threshold=0.10

Now, the C1 may require some calibration out of the box. The review sample they reviewed had really shitty calibration out of the box, but once they calibrated it, it was outstandingly excellent. This will likely vary on a per unit basis.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 1/13/2022 at 11:32 PM, dalekphalm said:

Now, the C1 may require some calibration out of the box. The review sample they reviewed had really shitty calibration out of the box, but once they calibrated it, it was outstandingly excellent. This will likely vary on a per unit basis.

To be fair, i haven't seen a monitor or TV that cannot be calibrated with close to perfect results. It's not a matter of the display being capable of that. It's about owning the hardware and software needed to do it.

All in all most high-end TV's have "good enough" color accuracity out of the box when using their respective "Filmmaker mode". Yes, the C1's color accuracity was comparatively bad in the RTINGS review, but still nowhere near unuseable. Unless you're an enthusiast or know how a calibrated display is supposed to look this blue tint won't be a problem.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

6 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

To be fair, i haven't seen a monitor or TV that cannot be calibrated with close to perfect results. It's not a matter of the display being capable of that. It's about owning the hardware and software needed to do it.

All in all most high-end TV's have "good enough" color accuracity out of the box when using their respective "Filmmaker mode". Yes, the C1's color accuracity was comparatively bad in the RTINGS review, but still nowhere near unuseable. Unless you're an enthusiast or know how a calibrated display is supposed to look this blue tint won't be a problem.

Oh for sure - I doubt most people would even notice.

But I just wanted to mention it anyway, since doing a proper full calibration at home without the colour/light meter is not really practical (you can definitely do a decent eyeball calibration though).

So for someone who really wanted to squeeze absolutely every bit of quality out of it, they might opt to pay for a professional calibration, or opt to buy a model that has better out of the box calibration.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

For your usage the OLED is ideal. That being said I have a Q9 and Q90 from Samsung (top of the line at their time) and they are great. They replaced two 10yr old Samsungs LED units and my only complaint is they don’t have Dolby vision and to watch HDR content you cannot have any of the ECO settings for auto dimming turned on as the picture can be extremely dark in HDR with these settings.