Is this a good PC?

AGreninja101

Budget (including currency): $1500 aud (assuming MSRP GPU)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Minecraft

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wvbc68 Upgrading from an omen laptop with a 1060 and i7 8750h, I will play in 1080p, maybe switching to 1440p.

I'd probably wait a week or two for B660 boards to come out and go with an i5 12400 instead of the 5600x. It'll perform slightly better and isn't on a dead platform for roughly the same price.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zCCgTJ

This build is both cheaper and has a better upgrade path. I wouldn't touch that motherboard, but when better quality B660 motherboards come out within the next week or two, for the price you really can't beat it. If you can get one with a good VRM solution for cheap enough, you can even get a 12600k and still be about the same price as the 5600X. 

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I'd probably wait a week or two for B660 boards to come out and go with an i5 12400 instead of the 5600x. It'll perform slightly better and isn't on a dead platform for roughly the same price.

This build is both cheaper and has a better upgrade path. I wouldn't touch that motherboard, but when better quality B660 motherboards come out within the next week or two, for the price you really can't beat it. If you can get one with a good VRM solution for cheap enough, you can even get a 12600k and still be about the same price as the 5600X. 

K thx

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I mean idk how much of a dead platform AM4 is compared to intels new platform when we all know you can expect one more gen of cpus on the new Intel motherboards and even then now you are stuck with a b660 motherboard which sorta handicaps any higher end cpu that you would potentially want to put in the board later making it being a new platform not very useful. 

7 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I mean idk how much of a dead platform AM4 is compared to intels new platform when we all know you can expect one more gen of cpus on the new Intel motherboards and even then now you are stuck with a b660 motherboard which sorta handicaps any higher end cpu that you would potentially want to put in the board later making it being a new platform not very useful. 

For what seems like a primarily gaming focused system, it still would make sense to go Intel over AMD. They do have the single core advantage (at least until the 5800X3D comes out, but that won't be for 3-6 months), and still do have another generation of CPU coming on to this socket. AM4 have one more CPU. Plus, B660 just means you can't overclock, and since overclocking doesn't really make much sense on Alder Lake and -k SKU CPUs do have their own advantages, that doesn't really matter that much. As long as you get a board with a decent VRM solution, running a 12900k on there wouldn't be a bad idea. 

I mean, either one is fine, it's just that the Intel system is both cheaper and can support another generation of CPU (given you get a half decent B660 board).

20 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

For what seems like a primarily gaming focused system, it still would make sense to go Intel over AMD. They do have the single core advantage (at least until the 5800X3D comes out, but that won't be for 3-6 months), and still do have another generation of CPU coming on to this socket. AM4 have one more CPU. Plus, B660 just means you can't overclock, and since overclocking doesn't really make much sense on Alder Lake and -k SKU CPUs do have their own advantages, that doesn't really matter that much. As long as you get a board with a decent VRM solution, running a 12900k on there wouldn't be a bad idea. 

I mean, either one is fine, it's just that the Intel system is both cheaper and can support another generation of CPU (given you get a half decent B660 board).

No the k variants have faster gaming performance. The 12700 doesn't even beat the 5800x in gaming as the difference is negligible. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.techspot.com/amp/review/2391-intel-core-i7-12700/. And seeing as the 5600x is basically the same performance as the 5800x I would imagine that the 5600x would be at or better performance than the 12400. This isn't even taking into account that when paired with a 3060 the cpu likely won't matter anyways between the two as you would be gpu bottleneck anyways. Honestly the difference is legitimately which ever platform you prefer at that point.