weird plus sign and X Y values on Windows 10

Filingo

Randomly this plus sign with x and y axis values appear on my laptop's screen, and I can't type anything, what is it? And how can I remove it?

Right now it appears when I click the number "2" twice... and it happens with external keyboard as well 

WTF.PNG.c22ad825ad7afef7405001796c191ff0.PNG

Edit: looks like it's the capture thing, but why does it show up with random key strokes?

Hi Filingo,

are you by any chance using a MacBook? Ctrl + Shift + 4 (in default configuration) brings up such a cursor which is used for selective screen shots. If you move around the mouse when the cursor appears the numbers should change, representing the X and Y coordinates of the cursor on your screen in pixels. You can exit the screen shot mode by pressing the escape key. This is also in line with your observations that any keyboard inputs are neglected when the cursor is shown.

As for why this happens when pressing the "2" key twice I'm not entirely sure, probably the default key combination was changed.

I hope this helps

6 minutes ago, Kon-Tiki said:

Hi Filingo,

are you by any chance using a MacBook? Ctrl + Shift + 4 (in default configuration) brings up such a cursor which is used for selective screen shots. If you move around the mouse when the cursor appears the numbers should change, representing the X and Y coordinates of the cursor on your screen in pixels. You can exit the screen shot mode by pressing the escape key. This is also in line with your observations that any keyboard inputs are neglected when the cursor is shown.

As for why this happens when pressing the "2" key twice I'm not entirely sure, probably the default key combination was changed.

I hope this helps

This is Windows 10

And also this is the screen that appears:

wtf..PNG.43269de33e52c074013070aad8aba5df.PNG

And sometimes the other numbers won't work after this plus sign appears

EDIT: Just scanned with Malwarebytes and it detected 30 things.

Could it just be a malware?

It's not originally my laptop, it's someone else's and I need to recover data before fresh installing Windows 10

This is Windows 10

Alright, I just wanted to double check to prevent a typo in the title 🙂

Either way the conclusion stays the same, you trigger a screen capture somehow. I was just going to ask you if you have a third party screen capture tool installed. Take a look at what Malwarebytes gave you and if you find one or more (or even all) Programs it found are nothing you need any more, just delete them. If this doesn't help, look at which programs get launched on startup automatically and disable everything you don't need

1 minute ago, Kon-Tiki said:

Alright, I just wanted to double check to prevent a typo in the title 🙂

Either way the conclusion stays the same, you trigger a screen capture somehow. I was just going to ask you if you have a third party screen capture tool installed. Take a look at what Malwarebytes gave you and if you find one or more (or even all) Programs it found are nothing you need any more, just delete them. If this doesn't help, look at which programs get launched on startup automatically and disable everything you don't need

Ok so Malwarebytes just shows some PUPs related to browsers, but nothing actually seem to be related to this.

It could be that the FN key is stuck? This is a Lenovo

I don't know what the programs Malwarebytes found do so I can't comment on if one of the "browser extensions" might have extra functionality. Did you try disabling all startup programs and rebooting? Usually the FN key on a laptop is used to allow for using standard keys to control shortcuts related to the computer's hardware so I doubt this is the case.

Ok so I quarantined all of the detections and disabled all of the startup programs. This still shows 😮

It's nothing magical, it's a third party app and Windows doesn't have this. Just uninstall that app.

11 hours ago, RTX 3071 said:

It's nothing magical, it's a third party app and Windows doesn't have this. Just uninstall that app.

Nothing that I can find on the app list, some sort of malware. Clean install should do I guess