A possibly dead Motherboard or CPU... Or both

LawrenceBarnes2013
Go to solution Solved by Kaaverik,
2 minutes ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

i used a 4 pin to 8 pin power adapter to provide power to the CPU cuz that particular PSU doesn't have an 8 pin power connector.

This is probably the reason why. The power supply is probably not adequate to power the system, and even if it could turn on, I would not recommend running the system for very long.

DELL is notorious for making proprietary "use in dell products only" hardware, so it could potentially damage the board, or blow itself up.

I know some motherboards will POST with only one of the CPU P4 connectors plugged in, but this one probably will not, at least with this PSU anyways. And it is not advisable to run it that way either. If possible, I would look into getting a new PSU.

So i recently lost my PC in an accident while moving cuz i had to relocate. It wasn't much but it got the job done. But next to the chip shortage and all it's gonna be pretty hard for me to build a new rig anytime soon but i'm getting there. Anyway while going through my old stuff this morning i found a Core i5 650 and it's compatible LGA 1156 Foxconn motherboard of sorts so i decided to see what i could get out of it so i threw in 8GB of Ram that i had lying around and an old GTX750Ti for testing purposes first however the hickup was the PSU, all i can get my hands on ATM is DELL PSU of sorts that says Max 120W and Max 255W depending on the voltage i suppose. I used a 4 pin to 8 pin power adapter to provide power to the CPU cuz that particular PSU doesn't have an 8 pin power connector. So i turned on the system and it keeps on turning on and off repeatedly with about 2 seconds interval. however when the system is plugged in but not turned on the mouse is lit up and so is the network port on the back of the Mobo. when i press and hold the black test button on the back of the PSU tho all fans spin constantly until i let go. So my question is what am i dealing with here? is the PSU simply not adequate or is there a short circuit somewhere or what?? BTW when i tested the PSU and Ram in the Dell Optiplex unit they came from they worked fine.

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

2 minutes ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

i used a 4 pin to 8 pin power adapter to provide power to the CPU cuz that particular PSU doesn't have an 8 pin power connector.

This is probably the reason why. The power supply is probably not adequate to power the system, and even if it could turn on, I would not recommend running the system for very long.

DELL is notorious for making proprietary "use in dell products only" hardware, so it could potentially damage the board, or blow itself up.

I know some motherboards will POST with only one of the CPU P4 connectors plugged in, but this one probably will not, at least with this PSU anyways. And it is not advisable to run it that way either. If possible, I would look into getting a new PSU.

Please quote me in your messages so that I am notified!

Remember to mark my post as answer if it answered your question!

Thank you! 😄

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 @4.5ghz| Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS M Micro-atx | 

RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance @ 3200mhz | GPU: Powercolor Red Devil Vega 56 | 

Case: Cooler Master NR400 | Storage: 512gb ADATA SX8200 Pro, some 2tb hard drives | 

PSU: Seasonic Focus+ 750w Platinum | Display(s):Viewsonic XG2402 / AOC I2367FH | 

Cooling: Scythe Kabuto 3 / 3x Thermaltake Riing RGB Fans | Keyboard: Corsair K65 Lux | 

Mouse: Corsair Harpoon | Sound: Steelseries Arctis 3 | Operating System: Windows 10 Home

3 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Uhhh, the dell PSU probably fucked you.

They don't use standard pinouts on a lot of supplies, so....  it's hard to say what happened.  

Yeah. It's the most reasonable explanation. Guess i should get my hands on a proper PSU and see what's what. Hope it's worth it.

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

1 minute ago, Kaaverik said:

Thanks for the input, mate. Yeah, that does seem to be my top option ATM, getting a new PSU. Hope it's worth it.

If it does still not post after a psu upgrade then board might be dead, but could just be the underside of the cpu or mobo socket is filthy, usually just dunking/spraying 99% IPA fixes this, id reccomend waiting 4 hours minimum but pref a day for it to dry

Just now, Somerandomtechyboi said:

If it does still not post after a psu upgrade then board might be dead, but could just be the underside of the cpu or mobo socket is filthy, usually just dunking/spraying 99% IPA fixes this, id reccomend waiting 4 hours minimum but pref a day for it to dry

Alright. Thanks for the heads-up, mate.