Overclocking the 8320 multiplier strange issue

Go to solution Solved by T.Vengeance,

I was really hoping that it wasn't the VRMs. I'd recommend RMAing your board, there is a sticker on the box which includes the serial number for your board, if this sticker is undamaged then you can still RMA your board.

Top-down CPU coolers like the Notcua NH-C14 will also help with the VRM cooling.

Update 2:

Did what I said before about reorienting the cpu cooler to not blow warm air over the VRMs and have the rear fan become intake fans. It helped abit but the temps were still in the 100s. 

So I did some research and found out that prime95 does something so that the OS doesn't cut off the floating point calculations and that really overtaxes the CPU, something that'll never happen in real world scenarios (at the time HWinfo64 is showing that the VRMs are pushing 140amps). That in mind, I decided to switch to AIDA64 for stress testing and now it's all good :D The VRM temps max out at 83C and are pushing on avg 98amps while the CPU is at 100%, and not throttling. So you can still recommend the 990FXA-UD3 I guess, as long as they don't stress test with prime95.

For the longest time on this forum I actually would recommend the UD3 only if it was specifically the Rev 4.0 version because of the exact reason you posted above so I really do hope that's not the issue.

Nope it isn't. I ran the system last night while facing 0 degree air from my window and the problem still persisted. Gonna try out a new psu and see if it helps. If not I'll go return the new psu.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

What version of HWMonitor are you using?

Another alternative I recommend would be AIDA64 Extreme Edition.

I'd say bring the Core voltage up to 1.375V and increase the Load-Line-Control up to High.

I was running into a similar issue a few days back (working on my overclock as well). My CPU would decrease the multiplier 14X from 22X that I had set in the BIOS after ~13 minutes into stress testing. It would drop my 4.8GHz to 2.8GHz. It ended up being not enough voltage / voltage drooping.

It seems that HWMonitor is missing a few voltage readings. Just for comparisons, here is what mine looks like:

xWXzVHq.png?1

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Update:

@TechFan@ic Yeah you were right, it wasn't my PSU. It was the VRMs overheating. I swear I thought they weren't but now seeing the temps, when I have 1.272V underload @4ghz, it levels off at 98degrees C. I tried 1.332V @4.4Ghz with a desk fan pointed towards my motherboard and the temps held at 88 degrees C and the multiplier didn't drop. I noticed that the multiplier dropped when the VRMs reached 114C :( Tomorrow imma try to reorient the CPU cooler to blow up and my rear exhaust fan to blow towards the VRMs and have a top fan exhaust between the VRM and CPU cooler. Hopefully it'll solve the problem but highly unlikely... (Hwmonitor afaik has no way of checking VRM temps, so that's why I thought they weren't overheating. Thanks @bbqsauce for suggesting HWinfo64 again :) The VRM temps are shown under PMbus VR)

@-rascal- I'm using version 1.24.0 stable

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Update:

@TechFan@ic Yeah you were right, it wasn't my PSU. It was the VRMs overheating. I swear I thought they weren't but now seeing the temps, when I have 1.272V underload @4ghz, it levels off at 98degrees C. I tried 1.332V @4.4Ghz with a desk fan pointed towards my motherboard and the temps held at 88 degrees C and the multiplier didn't drop. I noticed that the multiplier dropped when the VRMs reached 114C :( Tomorrow imma try to reorient the CPU cooler to blow up and my rear exhaust fan to blow towards the VRMs and have a top fan exhaust between the VRM and CPU cooler. Hopefully it'll solve the problem but highly unlikely... (Hwmonitor afaik has no way of checking VRM temps, so that's why I thought they weren't overheating. Thanks @bbqsauce for suggesting HWinfo64 again :) The VRM temps are shown under PMbus VR)

@-rascal- I'm using version 1.24.0 stable

If your board is new and still under warranty you might want to consider trying to rma it? those vrm temps seem pretty odd for a rev4 board unless i'm mistaken.

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

If your board is new and still under warranty you might want to consider trying to rma it? those vrm temps seem pretty odd for a rev4 board unless i'm mistaken.

Got the board off an NCIX ebay bid for 95. It was openbox but "like new" said in the ad. How would RMA work in this situation?

Got the board off an NCIX ebay bid for 95. It was openbox but "like new" said in the ad. How would RMA work in this situation?

I haven't got a clue regarding openbox stuff from ncix, maybe contact their customer support or something?

Edit: where did you check if you got the right revision from? maybe its actually a wrong revision? 

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

I haven't got a clue regarding openbox stuff from ncix, maybe contact their customer support or something?

Edit: where did you check if you got the right revision from? maybe its actually a wrong revision? 

Well rev.4.0 got the new VRM heatsink so right off the bat I know its 4.0.

3.0 looks like this: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4397#ov

4.0 looks like this: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4672#ov

3.0 looks like this: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4397#ov

4.0 looks like this: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4672#ov

well you could try taking a shot at ncix to see if they would send you a new board. Or you could live with the 4.0/4.2 ghz clock so your vrms dont throttle.

I thought they purposely fixed the VRM throttling issues with the new heatsinks on the rev.4 motherboard. I'm surprised it's still happening...

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

didn't giggy also update the UEFI under APM?

don't have my UD3 on the bench anymore.

didn't giggy also update the UEFI under APM?

don't have my UD3 on the bench anymore.

Enabling the APM underclocks my cores though sadly :(

I thought they purposely fixed the VRM throttling issues with the new heatsinks on the rev.4 motherboard. I'm surprised it's still happening...

it could be a one off thing. I mean he did purchase an open box one.

Update:

I was really hoping that it wasn't the VRMs. I'd recommend RMAing your board, there is a sticker on the box which includes the serial number for your board, if this sticker is undamaged then you can still RMA your board.

Top-down CPU coolers like the Notcua NH-C14 will also help with the VRM cooling.

Update 2:

Did what I said before about reorienting the cpu cooler to not blow warm air over the VRMs and have the rear fan become intake fans. It helped abit but the temps were still in the 100s. 

So I did some research and found out that prime95 does something so that the OS doesn't cut off the floating point calculations and that really overtaxes the CPU, something that'll never happen in real world scenarios (at the time HWinfo64 is showing that the VRMs are pushing 140amps). That in mind, I decided to switch to AIDA64 for stress testing and now it's all good :D The VRM temps max out at 83C and are pushing on avg 98amps while the CPU is at 100%, and not throttling. So you can still recommend the 990FXA-UD3 I guess, as long as they don't stress test with prime95.

Update 2:

I have an Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 & in Prime95 smallFFT & mixed torture tests my FX 8320 doesn't throttle @ 4.4Ghz with 1.38v nor do the VRMs overheat.

I have an Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 & in Prime95 smallFFT & mixed torture tests my FX 8320 doesn't throttle @ 4.4Ghz with 1.38v nor do the VRMs overheat.

Point taken. Gigabyte really needs to sort out their shit then...

Point taken. Gigabyte really needs to sort out their shit then...

my board's vrms don't overheat. its probably just a bad board. the current revision is still ok.

my board's vrms don't overheat. its probably just a bad board. the current revision is still ok.

(sadface)

Well anyhow to sum it up, I'm using the 4.4 OC atm. Stress tested with AIDA64 and my VRM temps are good. So I'll stick with it.