Which i7 of recent years had the best price-performance?

I'm just looking for a quick take and your opinions of "recent" k series processors dating back to the 7700k which I believe was 2017.

Have the years since resulted in better performance for lower cost to consumers or is this difficult to say given the strange release schedules and known info on new processors from intel?

I'm finding it worrying that my 10700k is now falling into irrelevancy given 12th gen being out. I bought it near the end of 2020 and wasn't expecting intel to have such a quick turnover for whatever reason. 

I recall the 8700k and 9700k being released pretty close to each other as it was the time I was originally looking into building a pc and was surprised at how quickly the market had changed. Was the jump from 7th to 8th gen significant? If so, is it similar to that of 10th to 11th? 

Comparing to MTG for example (a card game), you will usually have a core set and an expansion set or two within the same realm as the core set, does intel follow suit with their processors?

afaik, 12th gen sees a considerable performance jump to 11th gen as opposed to what 11th was to 10th, is this correct?

I've always been pretty invested in the intricacies of product launches in the computing world, if you have any suggestions on where I can find some good material for studying this in more depth, please do let me know!

Thanks.

7 minutes ago, ErykYT3 said:

snip

If you wanted to upgrade every few generations or so this would have been the best:

12700k (or the 12600k)

7th gen was a fail, 8th launched in the same year and crushed it.

9700k was a sidegrade at best as it didnt have hyperthreading.

10gen was another refresh so unless you got a 10 core i9 model no real value here.

11th gen was a total fail.

12 gen is awesome.

8700K would be my vote.   Good price, great performance.  Easily overclocked to 5Ghz.  

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.