Legion 5 pro 16" SSD upgrade help needed

maclovesvernadith

hello guys, and happy new year 🙂

i did the sore mistake of only take a 512gb ssd when purchasing my  legion 5 pro ( rtx 3070 and ryzen 7 5800 inside), now finding myself running out of space.

my first issue is the number of availible pci lanes, from what i found it  it have all in all 12 available, out of which 8 are taken by the gpu, and 4 left for the nvme drive, meaning i cant have 2 drives running at full capacity without the speed/perfomance being strongly impacted?  my idea was use the basic 512 drive just for the os and small programs, while run all big games from a secondary 1tb + drive.

using 2 drives wont be a big performance issue if they are not used simultanously, but if i execute a game from drive B while os is running from drive A, then obviously both will be at use same time therefore pci lane sharing and running slower. right?

your though on this please. the workaround would be replace the 512 by the 1tb + drive simply and keep 1 drive.

my second isue :

seen some ppl put a 2tb nvme in their  5pro and it works fine despite the tested supported 1tb max lenovo recomend. i know crucial did tests and it worked. the drive i seen was a Kingston 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe KC2500 and it price was same as one a samsung 970 pro 1TB. i know the samsung is considered high thier and the kingstone 2500 lower high end, but for same price u have double the size....seems weird to me ?

would it be reasonable if i stick with 1 drive directly put a 2tb in from kingstone or crucial.

thank for all your inputs

The only way out of the pcie lane limitation I know of is an enterprise style cpu like threadripper or some xenons. Both Intel and AMD consumer chips effectively have 16 pcie lanes, 4 of which are taken up by the chipset.  Intel has a different name for them but the result is the same. If you run one SSD off the chipset and one off the cpu itself, you can have a bit less than 8 lanes worth of bandwidth. The one running through the chipset will share with whatever else is running through the chipset.   If the only option is through the chipset though it will be max 4 lanes no matter what. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

i dont really have way of force or indicate to a drive to run through cpu lane or pci lane do i now...

guess focusing on the 1 drive idea instead 2 is my only way or so...still questsions of the size stuffs etc

17 hours ago, maclovesvernadith said:

i dont really have way of force or indicate to a drive to run through cpu lane or pci lane do i now...

guess focusing on the 1 drive idea instead 2 is my only way or so...still questsions of the size stuffs etc

It will be motherboard dependent.  Likely one will run through the cpu and the others will run through the chipset or some combination.  The b550 block diagram allows one m.2 to run that way with the others running through the chipset.  It may have been used for something else though.  It will vary from motherboard to motherboard.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.