New TV advice

DaveStatteo

Hey everyone, 

So I've had a 46 inch Samsung 7 series TV for the last 9 years but it's starting to show some wear, it has a line of dead pixels and the pixels around that line are always blue tinted. 

So I'm looking to upgrade so here's the important info 

- have a laptop plugged into the tv to stream everything so don't really care about OS, apps or the remote 

-Watch a lot of sport so need something that will handle that well

- Game a little bit on the tv but mostly party games with friends 

-room is fairly bright but mostly watch at night and happy to pull down the blends if I'm watching something particularly dark 

- Got about $2000aud to spend 

- looking around the 55 inch range, anything bigger will be too big for my apartment 

So far was looking at the LG C1 either 48 inch of 55 inch but would love some advice 

Thanks in advance 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/2/2022 at 5:56 AM, Abyssal Radon said:

Personally I like Sony TVs for everything but gaming. So if your gonna do any sort of gaming or really care about gaming on a TV get the C1. Otherwise something like a A80J OLED is worth every penny.

Pretty much sums it up. The Sony A80J is a great movie-only type of TV. But the C1 is more versatile.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

On 1/18/2022 at 4:30 AM, Stahlmann said:

Pretty much sums it up. The Sony A80J is a great movie-only type of TV. But the C1 is more versatile.

What precisely is the issue with the A80J for gaming? As far as I can tell (based on quick RTings comparison), the only drawback for gaming is that VRR is not yet enabled on Sony A80J's (it's a promised feature - who knows if/when it'll ever arrive mind you).

Apparently the input lag is quite low, but not as low as the C1, so that gives the C1 a slight advantage with input lag, and a clear advantage if VRR is important to you.

The A80J can still do 4K @ 120Hz as well if that's important to the end user.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

6 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

What precisely is the issue with the A80J for gaming? As far as I can tell (based on quick RTings comparison), the only drawback for gaming is that VRR is not yet enabled on Sony A80J's (it's a promised feature - who knows if/when it'll ever arrive mind you).

Apparently the input lag is quite low, but not as low as the C1, so that gives the C1 a slight advantage with input lag, and a clear advantage if VRR is important to you.

The A80J can still do 4K @ 120Hz as well if that's important to the end user.

VRR really is the biggest downside. The slightly higher input lag is not really that noticeable, as it's still good enough. But especially at 4K VRR is extremely important as pretty much no game will hold 120 or 60 fps consistently. VRR is essential on a gaming display nowadays imo, becoming even more important at higher resolutions. And so far Sony has implemented VRR in one of their promised models afaik, which is the X900H. And it's easily the worst implementation i've seen so far. I'd not buy a TV according to what the brand promised to implement, but rather what it has now.

That being said other than VRR the differences between the A80J, C1 and other OLED TV's are so small that most people will likely not be able to tell the difference. And so far LG has proven to me that they're definetly the better choice when it comes to after-sale firmware upgrades. The C9 is a prime example of that, still receiving firmware updates with tweaks, fixes and new features even with 2 newer generations being on the market.

Another thing that came to mind: The C1 has four 40Gbps HDMI ports, whereas the A80J only has 2 ports capable of 4K 120Hz. If you connect a soundbar using eARC you only have 1 high-bandwidth port left. So people having consoles and a PC will be limited.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.