Terrible performance with rtx 3060 ti: something has to be wrong.

O_Bsnacks
Go to solution Solved by O_Bsnacks,
5 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

That value only applies under stock conditions. Since you're overclocking, and using more power than expected, it can be ignored.

I'm actually not overclocking anymore. I decided to restore my bios settings to default, and this worked all my games are a solid 144hz besides BFV but I expect that because my gpu usage is only getting around 55 -60 utilization. But restoring the bios worked. But should this red thing still apply seeing that I have xmp enabled?

So In a previous thread I was talking about how my gpu utilization was low and that is what may be causing lower frames, or maybe it is even a bottleneck. But I tried out two different games BFV and Call of duty Vanguard. In BFV I get around 100 -120 fps on high with my gpu utilization being at 50-75% and cpu 75% or higher. In Vanguard though with everything on high and gpu utilization at 95-97% im only getting 100-120 frames. What is going on is my gpu defective?

My Specs: 

Gigabyte gaming oc rtx 3060 ti (LHR)

Ryzen 5 3600 

Ripjaws 3600mhz c16 2x8gb (yes xmp is enabled)

seasonic gm 650w psu 80+gold

msi x470 gaming plus max

You didn't even specify resolution. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

3 minutes ago, O_Bsnacks said:

1989x1080

you mean 1920x1080 right?

personally i'd say that was about right for a 3600.  What were you expecting?

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

Not played it myself but I recall from various tests at the time that BFV was rather CPU intensive. It wouldn't surprise me if a 3600 isn't top tier in that respect, but you're getting 100+ fps, isn't that enough? BTW note CPU usage above 50% is effectively like saying all "real" cores are in use, and you're tapping into the much smaller performance potential from SMT. 

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 minutes ago, SimplyChunk said:

you mean 1920x1080 right?

personally i'd say that was about right for a 3600.  What were you expecting?

But how is it that my brother who has the same specs as me except he has a rx 5700 non xt gets better performance. I don't understand what I did differently on his build because I built it.

Compared to this test where he's using a 5900X, 100-120 seems plausible to me on a 3600 with CPU as the limiting factor.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 minute ago, O_Bsnacks said:

But how is it that my brother who has the same specs as me exact he has a rx 5700 non xt gets better performance. I don't understand what I did differently on his build because I built it.

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

Another note to add is that his game are so much smoother than mine. His are like butter were mine aren't. I even got a fancy g sync monitor and not much difference.

3 minutes ago, O_Bsnacks said:

But how is it that my brother who has the same specs as me exact he has a rx 5700 non xt gets better performance. I don't understand what I did differently on his build because I built it.

I think this is an example of the Nvidia Driver Overhead problem. BFV and COD are a CPU intensive games, so your 3600 is running low on resources and can't keep up with the demands of both the game and the Nvidia driver. Combined with the fact that Amphere's architecture doesn't scale well to low resolutions and you get a 5700 outperforming a 3060 Ti.

2 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

I think this is an example of the Nvidia Driver Overhead problem. BFV and COD are a CPU intensive games, so your 3600 is running low on resources and can't keep up with the demands of both the game and the Nvidia driver. Combined with the fact that Amphere's architecture doesn't scale well to low resolutions and you get a 5700 outperforming a 3060 Ti.

What is this driver overhead. Even when I play on low settings I don't get good fps, but he does. This is just bizarre. I spend all this money and don't get anything good in return. 

Just now, O_Bsnacks said:

What is this driver overhead. 

Nvidia uses a multi-threaded software scheduler that runs on the CPU. AMD has a hardware scheduler built-in for their graphics cards. The result is that Nvidia's driver uses a lot more CPU resources than AMD's does, so in CPU limited scenarios where CPU usage is already high across all the cores, Nvidia cards end up performing worse than AMD cards by about 20-30% in the worst cases.

You can test whether or not your are CPU limited by dropping and upping the resolution. If there's minimal change in framerrate dropping down to 720p or going up to 1440p, it's because your CPU is the limiting factor.

9 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Nvidia uses a multi-threaded software scheduler that runs on the CPU. AMD has a hardware scheduler built-in for their graphics cards. The result is that Nvidia's driver uses a lot more CPU resources than AMD's does, so in CPU limited scenarios where CPU usage is already high across all the cores, Nvidia cards end up performing worse than AMD cards by about 20-30% in the worst cases.

You can test whether or not your are CPU limited by dropping and upping the resolution. If there's minimal change in framerrate dropping down to 720p or going up to 1440p, it's because your CPU is the limiting factor.

So I tested this in vangaurd and at 720p at all high settings I was getting 180-200 frames. Where as 1440p I was at like low 70s. But I may has tested this wrong because I dont have a 1440p monitor so I just use the render resolution scale in the game and turned it up until it said 1440p, but I was still in 1980x1080.

9 minutes ago, O_Bsnacks said:

So I tested this in vangaurd and at 720p at all high settings I was getting 180-200 frames. Where as 1440p I was at like low 70s. But I may has tested this wrong because I dont have a 1440p monitor so I just use the render resolution scale in the game and turned it up until it said 1440p, but I was still in 1980x1080.

With Vanguard you were already getting GPU utilization in the high 90% region, which implies that your GPU is being fully utilized. Those results imply that your GPU is the limiting factor in that situation.

Have you turned on DLSS for that game? That should give you a nice boost when GPU limited. Even just using the Quality setting, which is basically indistinguishable from native when actually playing a game.

6 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

With Vanguard you were already getting GPU utilization in the high 90% region, which implies that your GPU is being fully utilized. Those results imply that your GPU is the limiting factor in that situation.

Have you turned on DLSS for that game? That should give you a nice boost when GPU limited. Even just using the Quality setting, which is basically indistinguishable from native when actually playing a game.

I just did a userbenchmark and it said that I have a missing gpu. 

I just did a userbenchmark and it said that I have a missing gpu. 

That's odd. If you run GPU-Z, does it show anything unusual?

3 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

That's odd. If you run GPU-Z, does it show anything unusual?

I ran it again and it worked, but it says that my gpu is performing below its potential (51 percentile).

I ran it again and it worked, but it says that my gpu is performing below its potential (51 percentile).

51st percentile would be average - it should be right in the middle of the bell curve.

If you don't overclock your graphics card, UserBenchmark gives you that kind of warning with a link to a video on how to use Afterburner. You can try running it again with an overclock if you want, but this implies that your card isn't underperforming relative to other 3060Ti cards.

2 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

51st percentile would be average - it should be right in the middle of the bell curve.

If you don't overclock your graphics card, UserBenchmark gives you that kind of warning with a link to a video on how to use Afterburner. You can try running it again with an overclock if you want, but this implies that your card isn't underperforming relative to other 3060Ti cards.

So in the end the reason I'm getting lower frames is because of my cpu and nvidia drivers. Because I just want to make sure that my gpu is not defective, and in order to fix it I need to upgrade my cpu. And, is there a test that I can do to see if my gpu is holding up alright?

So in the end the reason I'm getting lower frames is because of my cpu and nvidia drivers. Because I just want to make sure that my gpu is not defective, and in order to fix it I need to upgrade my cpu. And, is there a test that I can do to see if my gpu is holding up alright?

UserBenchmark, for all its flaws, is a good test in this exact situation. It lets you establish that your card is running as expected.

Another thing to try would be to enable PBO on your 3600 to see if that improves performance. If you see an increase in framerates or stability with an overclock, it implies that your CPU is a limiting factor.

3 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

UserBenchmark, for all its flaws, is a good test in this exact situation. It lets you establish that your card is running as expected.

Another thing to try would be to enable PBO on your 3600 to see if that improves performance. If you see an increase in framerates or stability with an overclock, it implies that your CPU is a limiting factor.

How would I enable PBO is it in bios? What does it stand for?

How would I enable PBO is it in bios? What does it stand for?

It's in the BIOS if you have a B or X series board (B450, B550, X470, X570) not an A320 or A520 board.

It stands for Precision Boost Overdrive. It's a form of overclocking that can give you a boost in frequency of up to 200MHz across the board.

9 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

It's in the BIOS if you have a B or X series board (B450, B550, X470, X570) not an A320 or A520 board.

It stands for Precision Boost Overdrive. It's a form of overclocking that can give you a boost in frequency of up to 200MHz across the board.

would this be the game mode option?

4 minutes ago, O_Bsnacks said:

would this be the game mode option?

Game Mode is there for the high core count chips. Some games don't run well across multiple CCDs (Core Complex Dies - AMD chiplets), so it shuts off all but one of the chiplets to help.

The option should be found in the overclocking menus under something like AMD Overclocking.