Can regular cables be used as dummy plugs?

LaughingCheeze
Go to solution Solved by da na,

Dummy plugs have EDID chips. This means that the computer recognizes it as, say, a 1080p monitor - cables don't do that on their own. 

I'm thinking about using my desktop in a headless capacity in the future, streaming the desktop, applications and games to other devices. I know that dummy plugs can be useful for this, but what I don't know is if just a regular cable can be used as a dummy plug. Is there something special about a dummy plug that a regular cable wouldn't work for this? Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

You're probably thinking on HDMI / DisplayPort adapters that fake the presence of a monitor.  There's a chip in the adapter which sends to the video card what information a standard monitor would provide making the video card assume there's a monitor connected to the computer.

It can't be done with just a cable.

Thanks for the responses! I thought there was probably something different about them otherwise they wouldn't need to exist.

On that note, most of the ones I see say a max of 4k 17hz(what is this weird 17hz nonsense??) with lower resolutions supported at 60hz. Can I assume that that means they categorically don't support 4k120? What about lower resolutions and higher refresh rates? 1080p240 and 1440p240 etc. I feel like this will be a really great way to use computers in the future but would be nice if higher refresh rates were supported.

14 hours ago, LaughingCheeze said:

Can I assume that that means they categorically don't support 4k120?

Usually dummy plugs are being used for remote access so when you use eg. TeamViewer or VNC or similar that you don’t get 1024x768 or similar low resolution on your client PC. Also most of the usage is for some specific servers which require GUI based administration.

That being said, the intended purpose is not gaming. When you use remote connection software usually the whole screen is encoded as video. Encoding 4K120 is extremely demanding on the hardware. That is why remote connection is encoded in lower framerate. 4K17 is more than enough for remote access of eg. Windows GUI and as I’ve mentioned before dummy plugs are designed mostly for administration purposes so they fit the bill. 

2 minutes ago, Niksa said:

Usually dummy plugs are being used for remote access so when you use eg. TeamViewer or VNC or similar that you don’t get 1024x768 or similar low resolution on your client PC

I just joined the thread and was so confusef about what the purpose of this would even be at all but TeamViewer I guess makes sense.

I usually just work with Remote Desktop and they never require any physical displays to be connected for it to work.