HOMEMADE DUST FILTER

Drogoc0p

Hi. As the title says, I need to make dust filters from some sort of fabric or mesh I could purchase locally. I don't have access to amazon or any other kind of international online stores. I'd like to avoid purchasing dedicated filters since they would be kind of expensive in my country. 

Do you guys know of any type of fabric or mesh I could use to make my own? 

Thanks for reading.

Pantyhose..

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

Cutout of furnace filters or automotive cabin filters. 

Or the sexy option of pantyhose. 🙂

I've already started doing them out of pantyhose, and making the frame out of old X-ray films or whatever they're called. I've also added magnetic strips so that they attach to the metallic grill the case has. (I've only done a small one for a very small intake slot, but I will do a big one for the front and one for the power supply fan)

IMG_20211228_150952.thumb.jpg.a355a3778a83b231d9cd1244ecdef085.jpg

(Top one is discarded, it came out WAAAY too sloppy for my liking)

IMG_20211228_151025.thumb.jpg.89a6a12e3d4bd19a5b61e564fe52b54c.jpgIMG_20211228_151020.thumb.jpg.26c033368d50e9af62a49df572bee9b9.jpg

Thanks for your help guys!

That last one looks really good. But you can't leave a gap like that, the air is going to take the path of the least resistance and go through the the unfiltered area in the mesh. You need to make your filter and frame to cover from edge to edge to be effective. Yes, it will filter air, but the most air will get in unfiltered around the edges, even more so when the filter starts to accumulate dust and gets even more restrictive.

21 minutes ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

That last one looks really good. But you can't leave a gap like that, the air is going to take the path of the least resistance and go through the the unfiltered area in the mesh. You need to make your filter and frame to cover from edge to edge to be effective. Yes, it will filter air, but the most air will get in unfiltered around the edges, even more so when the filter starts to accumulate dust and gets even more restrictive.

Do you think I should redo it? Would that gap really affect filtering? I would have thought that it didn't matter that much

Just test and see how it works. Maybe it looks like there is a bigger gap then there is on the pictures? It looks fine from the front, but the picture from the back looks like there is a good bit of area that is not filtered.

You are filtering the most of the area and maybe the unfiltered area is getting clogged up with dust first and after that forces all the air to go through the filter? Or if it will be the other way around, the filter gets clogged and then the air gets unfiltered along the edges. Time will tell.