PC makes "rattle" sound

tenjiFPS
Go to solution Solved by tenjiFPS,

Another update, sorry for the spam.

Ordered the Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2, only thing is: it has a 4pin or 3pin connector and the connector on the PCB of the PSU is only a 2pin connector.

All the cables on the Be Quiet Fan are black so I will have to figure out which one the black pin is and which one the red pin is.

A week ago when I booted up my PC normally like every other day it started making a weird rattle noise, like a fan hits a cable but mostly in a like rythm.
So I started to investigate and looked at all the fans and plugged them out to see if the noise stops, but it didn't.
It seems to come from the CPU area tho. My CPU cooler is an AIO so there's no fan, except the ones on the radiator ofcourse. The only thing I did recently was relocating my radiator from the top to the front because I got new RAM and that's also the last time I cleaned my PC, so about 4 weeks ago.

5 days ago i relocated my radiator because i remembered that the top of the radiator should be the highest point of the AIO, which it wasn't when i relocated the radiator originally. So for like a month the pump was the highest point. I don't know if that might have broke the pump in a way but I wanted to include this info just make sure.
I will include a YT video where you can listen to the sound.

My PC Specs:
MB: Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X
CPU: i7-9700K @ 4.8 GHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RGB PRO
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070
RAM: G.Skill TridentZ Neo 32GB @ 3600 MHz
1 Sata SSD, 1 HDD and 1 NVME SSD

Are you sure the radiator is secured correctly? Because I speculate there could be a lose radiator or fan.

the oyer

Okay i am still fairly new to pc building but from what you describe, you might have air buildup in your pump from being the highest point for so long. If the pump is broken or impeded by the air buildup, then it should show up in your temps. If the pump is shot, you will need to replace it and if it isn't shot I wouldn't run it again until you find a way to clear/relocate the air bubbles. 

3 hours ago, Xbox Professional YT said:

Are you sure the radiator is secured correctly? Because I speculate there could be a lose radiator or fan.

Everything is secured correctly and the sound does not really come from the radiator, it has to be the pump.

2 hours ago, ManUfc237 said:

Okay i am still fairly new to pc building but from what you describe, you might have air buildup in your pump from being the highest point for so long. If the pump is broken or impeded by the air buildup, then it should show up in your temps. If the pump is shot, you will need to replace it and if it isn't shot I wouldn't run it again until you find a way to clear/relocate the air bubbles. 

1 hour ago, Jacoby Madigan said:

the AIO pump might be broken so you might have to buy a new one. sorry

That's also what i thought and that's also what I was the most scared of haha. But the temps are completely normal, everything is running perfectly fine. I also tried tilting my PC to somehow clear the air bubbles but it didn't really work. Like I am just confused, if it actually was broken, wouldn't the temps go up?

Man... when you finally think you know stuff about PCs something like this comes up

32 minutes ago, tenjiFPS said:

Man... when you finally think you know stuff about PCs something like this comes up

Dude, if I could put that on a shirt I would. It's literally been my entire experience so far haha. I think it's air bubbles in the pump/radiator or something that is trapped. Did you try running the pump at full speed for a while to work the air out? Maybe try tilting while it's running? I am just shooting out some ideas. I remember a jayz2centz video he made about proper aio configuration and he tilted the pump above the radiator and it started rattling. He didn't show how to fix it though unfortunately. 

Found this guide from corsair for aio hope it helps: How to: Fix rattling or bubbling sounds in AIO cooler – Corsair

OKAY UPDATE: 

Writing this on my phone right now: 

Scratch everything, I relocated my radiator again and when i turned my PC on I noticed it was coming more from the bottom of my PC and I can say it’s a 100% my PSU making that rattling sound, probably the PSU fan. 

It‘s the CORSAIR TXM650. 

Update #2
I tried to tighten the screws on the PSU but I can just endlessly screw 3 of the 4 screws, they don't get any tighter and the rattling is still there. 

5 hours ago, tenjiFPS said:

Update #2
I tried to tighten the screws on the PSU but I can just endlessly screw 3 of the 4 screws, they don't get any tighter and the rattling is still there. 

Can you try disassembling it so you can get to the fan? It seems like you might be able to remove the grill, it should be easy. Then you try to spin it with your hand (Make sure to spin it in the same direction it would if it was turned on) And check if the rattling is still there? If so, the bearing might be done for. 

Edited by Drogoc0p

2 hours ago, Drogoc0p said:

Can you try disassembling it so you can get to the fan? It seems like you might be able to remove the grill, it should be easy. Then you try to spin it with your hand (Make sure to spin it in the same direction it would if it was turned on) And check if the rattling is still there? If so, the bearing might be done for. 

Yeah, I did exactly that 30 minutes ago and it definitely is the bearing. I tried getting to the PCB of the fan to relube it but there's no hole to, it has a hard plastic cover. 
So my only option is to replace the fan, I just don't really know what fan to buy for this PSU. 

45 minutes ago, tenjiFPS said:

Yeah, I did exactly that 30 minutes ago and it definitely is the bearing. I tried getting to the PCB of the fan to relube it but there's no hole to, it has a hard plastic cover. 
So my only option is to replace the fan, I just don't really know what fan to buy for this PSU. 

Some fans can be disassembled by pulling the blades. You should try that. Pull with a reasonable amount of force though, You don't want to break it even more. Just try to pull it away from the bearing, if that makes sense. My old cpu cooler worked like that.

Ordered the Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2, only thing is: it has a 4pin or 3pin connector and the connector on the PCB of the PSU is only a 2pin connector.

All the cables on the Be Quiet Fan are black so I will have to figure out which one the black pin is and which one the red pin is.

10 minutes ago, tenjiFPS said:

Excellent choice. You can probably figure that out by "imagining" or actually plugging it into a DC fan header, and there you have your pinout. if not, the fan's PCB is probably marked as well. Let us know if you fix it, good luck!

2 hours ago, Drogoc0p said:

Excellent choice. You can probably figure that out by "imagining" or actually plugging it into a DC fan header, and there you have your pinout. if not, the fan's PCB is probably marked as well. Let us know if you fix it, good luck!

Thank you! Will update as soon as possible! And thank you all for the help 🙂

So, finally. My PC is working again without making a rattle sound. 

I just got the new fan and replaced the old one. The only thing I did was I connected the new fan to a header on the motherboard instead of the header on the PCB of my PSU and everything works like a charm now.

Thank you everyone for your help guys!

Happy new Year btw!

22 minutes ago, tenjiFPS said:

So, finally. My PC is working again without making a rattle sound. 

I just got the new fan and replaced the old one. The only thing I did was I connected the new fan to a header on the motherboard instead of the header on the PCB of my PSU and everything works like a charm now.

Thank you everyone for your help guys!

Happy new Year btw!

I'm glad you were able to get it up and running properly, but you shouldn't leave the fan plugged into a motherboard header. If your PSU were to overheat for any reason (Let's hope it doesn't anyway), the fan will not respond to that temperature increase. What i'm trying to say is that the fan has no way of knowing the PSU's temps and will not speed up if needed. You should try to figure out which cables are for DC power and modify the connector so you can connect it to the original PSU header. 

Happy new year for you too!