PC won't boot after power outage (unexpected IO error, file boot\BCD, status 0xc00000e9)

Col. Sandurz
Go to solution Solved by Col. Sandurz,

I made a Win 10 install disk, booted into the commmand line and converted my disk to GPT (it was MBR).

That solved the issue (to be fair there was a lot of tampering before and after, so that might also have contributed to the final outcome).

So that's my wonderful gift for christmas.
This morning there was a power outage in my area and after that my PC won't boot anymore and this error is shown from Windows Boot Manager:

file boot\BCD

status 0xc00000e9

unexpected IO error

My PC is configured as follows:

i5 8400
Asrock B360 pro 4

5700XT 

16 gb Ram

PSU is a Corsair RM750X

A mechanical HDD which has the boot partition and contains some data (used to be the OS disk)

An NVMe.2 m.2 SSD which contains Windows 10

I extracted the HDD and I have trouble accessing it from another PC via an USB dock.
I could read the file structure at first but not anymore apparently.

So two things:

What can I use to test the HDD when connected to my laptop?

Should I attempt to do that? (at the moment I am only thinking of diagnosing, not repairing)
What can I use to make the current SSD the bootable and system disk on my main PC?

Merry Xmas everyone, hope yours is going much better than mine...

You can test your hard drive using Minitool Partition Wizard and try to follow this article to make your SSD bootable. 🙂

Merry Christmas 

i7-3630QM

GT 740M

8GB DDR3 1366Mhz

1366 x 768 60Hz

Toshiba 240GB SSD SATA

Toshiba 500GB HDD USB3

I had a very similar issue with error code 0x00000e9, and the winload.efi describing an I/O error. This was on a Gigabyte X470 board.

Turns out I had to disable fTPM and then it booted fine. I've since updated BIOS and re-enabled fTPM.

Mine occured after accidentally unplugging the desktop before it fully shutdown.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the input.

One more detail I forgot to mention.
The error I reported on the topic title is what appeared on the first attempt to boot the system.

After that the HDD does not appear anymore in the boot options of the Bios and the error becomes "NTLDR is Missing".

Now I'd like to fix this first so I can then work on trying to recover the HDD later

@Whayoubullingme Had a look to that guide but  think it relies on utilities that move the SO for the MBR/NTLDR creation. I can't use one of those because I don't need to migrate an OS so I think I'm out of luck there.

@DeltaGemini I think fTPM is only on AMD systems. I have to check if there is a similar option in mine that is an Intel one.

I made a Win 10 install disk, booted into the commmand line and converted my disk to GPT (it was MBR).

That solved the issue (to be fair there was a lot of tampering before and after, so that might also have contributed to the final outcome).