PC boots up on mouse input

Mg92

Hello

My PC is booting up when the mouse is clicked or moved and it's driving me nuts. I'm sure that this is probably a motherboard setting that I need to disable, but I can't find it.

Motherboard: ASUS PRIME A320M-K - BIOS Version 5603

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

44 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

You're saying this is happening when the computer is shut down? Not just in sleep mode?

Yes, when shutdown. It's a recently new computer, which I initially used for Linux and I don't remember this ever happening then. I have since bought a laptop for Linux and have installed Windows 11 on this PC. And that's when the booting with mouse input started. But I can't see how the OS would have this capability over the hardware. Or am I mistaken and is this a Windows setting?

There are motherboards that have "Power on by mouse" or "Power on by keyboard" settings. There are also some laptops that enable features like "Power on when lid opens" by default. So such settings aren't out of the ordinary, and usually they are found in the BIOS.

However, if this only started happening after Windows 11 was installed, then I have a suspicion that it's the cause.

Have you tried disabling Fast Startup to see if the computer might not be fully shutdown when you use the Shutdown option in Windows?

2 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

Have you tried disabling Fast Startup to see if the computer might not be fully shutdown when you use the Shutdown option in Windows?

Fast Startup was enabled (although I thought that I had already disabled it) and after a quick test it seems to have worked. I will report back after a few more days to let you know if it is problem solved.

Thanks for your help and have a good Christmas.

It's still doing it. Any more suggestions?

2 hours ago, Mg92 said:

It's still doing it. Any more suggestions?

I've looked through your mobo's user manual. There is a QR code that leads you to a FAQ page about BIOS settings. There, I found a question about, and I quote, "How to disable standby power of the USB connected device". I think that might be your problem. I attach a PDF download of that page. I don't think I can upload links, and I won't do it just in case. [Motherboard] How to disable standby power of the USB connected device _ Official Support _ ASUS Global.pdf Let me know if they work.

15 hours ago, Drogoc0p said:

I've looked through your mobo's user manual. There is a QR code that leads you to a FAQ page about BIOS settings. There, I found a question about, and I quote, "How to disable standby power of the USB connected device". I think that might be your problem. I attach a PDF download of that page. I don't think I can upload links, and I won't do it just in case. [Motherboard] How to disable standby power of the USB connected device _ Official Support _ ASUS Global.pdf Let me know if they work.

Thanks for the suggestion. My BIOS was already configured this way however.

7 hours ago, Mg92 said:

Thanks for the suggestion. My BIOS was already configured this way however.

Alright, can you check if deep sleep is enabled then? If it is enabled in both S4 and S5, it should not be phisically able to detect anything from any USB device, since they are not powered. I couldn't find any info on how to disable deep sleep on your particular motherboard, but you could maybe just figure it out by looking through the settings. Let me know if it works.

1 hour ago, Drogoc0p said:

Alright, can you check if deep sleep is enabled then? If it is enabled in both S4 and S5, it should not be phisically able to detect anything from any USB device, since they are not powered. I couldn't find any info on how to disable deep sleep on your particular motherboard, but you could maybe just figure it out by looking through the settings. Let me know if it works.

Couldn't find that deep sleep setting. I decided to update my BIOS, as it was a few versions out of date anyway.

3 hours ago, Mg92 said:

Couldn't find that deep sleep setting. I decided to update my BIOS, as it was a few versions out of date anyway.

Remember that third step on the guide I provided before? (This particular one) image.png.8ff019708d1b02c9dcf0fc5347558712.png

well, ENABLE ERP on both S4 + S5. So to be clear, set ErP Ready to "Enable(S4+S5)". This would set your computer to shut itself down almost completely so it wastes under 1 Watt of power. This would mean that your fans would take a second longer to rev up and maybe a second longer to boot up, but it's way worth it for me. I have it enabled, although it's not called ErP if I recall correctly. Back when I had it disabled, my fans would start at 100% speed and then ramp down overtime. Also my keyboard would light up if you pressed anything even if the computer was turned off. Let me know if this works, since i'm not sure ErP is the same as deep sleep, but my bios has a similar setting with the same values so it should probably work.

Mine looks like this: (It's an Asrock A520M-HDV with P1.10 BIOS)

1566546488_WhatsAppImage2021-12-28at19_50_43.thumb.jpeg.c28c279e5c8471400814fb4c61233d60.jpeg

Thanks. I'll test it over a few days.