ViewSonic XG2402 doesn't feel like 144hz

EyeAyEn

This monitor is supposedly supposed to have 1ms response time and a 144hz screen, but when I play games it doesn't feel like 144hz. I know it's set to 144hz because I've set it to the correct refresh rate in windows settings and the monitor settings. There's visible tearing and in general it doesn't feel smooth. My brother has a 144hz laptop display and it feels WAY smoother than my display, AND IT'S A LAPTOP.

I'm using a DP cable for the 144hz monitor, HDMI for 60hz, my graphics card is the gigabyte gaming OC rx5600xt (which I suspect to be the culprit because it's radeon), ryzen 5 2600, corsair 750w psu.

Screenshot 2021-12-23 194601.png

Is it specific games or all games? That's a decent GPU but certainly not a powerhouse of a GPU. Are you using v-sync when playing the said games or do you have v-sync turned off, depending on your use-case, both may help one way or the other.

21 minutes ago, KhakiHat said:

Is it specific games or all games? That's a decent GPU but certainly not a powerhouse of a GPU. Are you using v-sync when playing the said games or do you have v-sync turned off, depending on your use-case, both may help one way or the other.

All games, for example, fortnite, where in performance mode I get a constant 144 fps, vsync on.

If you have 60 fps video playing on the secondary monitor, or other GPU-accelerated programs being rendered there, it can result in the main display also syncing to 60 fps.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4i4399/dual_monitor_144hz_60hz_framerate_lock_is_a_bug/

15 hours ago, Glenwing said:

If you have 60 fps video playing on the secondary monitor, or other GPU-accelerated programs being rendered there, it can result in the main display also syncing to 60 fps.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4i4399/dual_monitor_144hz_60hz_framerate_lock_is_a_bug/

even when I turn the 60hz monitor off it doesn't feel like 144hz though

7 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

If you just turn the monitor off with the power button it doesn't disconnect from the system and won't be any different.

so what should I try

On 12/24/2021 at 6:46 PM, Glenwing said:

Disable the monitor in Windows display settings and see if it changes anything

I can't find anything on how to disable the monitor, I went to display settings, advanced display settings, 60 hz monitor, properties, drivers, disable monitor, and pressed apply but it wont disable and now I can't go back to the properties tab for that monitor