360mm Radiator Enough for 3080ti and 9900kf ?

Hey guys, 

My new gpu has a rattling fan and I am concerned that the bearing is shot. Rather than take apart the card and replace it with a cheap chinese fan,  I am thinking about taking this opportunity to finally attempt my first custom loop. My case however, (lian li cool one digital) probably won't be able to fit two radiators. So, I was wondering if a single 360 mm radiator will be enough to effectively cool a 3080ti and 9900kf. I keep finding conflicting statements online about it so I figured I would ask the awesome LTT community. 

P.S I don't plan on overclocking as I find it largely unnecessary and would like to prolong the life of my components if possible. 

Thank  you so much. 

EDIT: Thank you guys for all the advice. Decided to get a 240mm radiator for my cpu and a 360 for my gpu. They should fit my case better. Will update this thread once I complete my first loop. Fingers crossed haha. 

You're talking about potentially around 550-600W of power draw at full tilt. Maybe two 360s, but one isn't going to cut it, I don't think.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

One would work, but temps would be a lot higher than you'd want for a custom water loop. I'd shoot for dual 360s if you can. Maybe try to do an externally mounted radiator?

You should be fine. I run a single slim 360 for an OCed 6950X and 2060 Super, CPU will get toasty if I slam stuff to max (to be fair it also sucks down 300-350W across 10 cores) but under gaming load it sits in the 40s and the GPU never breaks 70C. Higher than average for a loop but still much lower than most air/AIO setups. I can run some stress tests and get the actual from the wall reading with my killawatt when I get home tonight. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

U don't have to use 2 360 rads . Like 1 360 and 280 or 240 would do the trick but a single rad will work but the temps would be little bit high for a custom loop . Most cases would fit a 360 and 240 so check if yours does

40 minutes ago, chaotic kronos said:

U don't have to use 2 360 rads . Like 1 360 and 280 or 240 would do the trick but a single rad will work but the temps would be little bit high for a custom loop . Most cases would fit a 360 and 240 so check if yours does

Hmm, that is a good idea. I will look into this. 

50 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

You should be fine. I run a single slim 360 for an OCed 6950X and 2060 Super, CPU will get toasty if I slam stuff to max (to be fair it also sucks down 300-350W across 10 cores) but under gaming load it sits in the 40s and the GPU never breaks 70C. Higher than average for a loop but still much lower than most air/AIO setups. I can run some stress tests and get the actual from the wall reading with my killawatt when I get home tonight. 

Comments like these give me hope haha. I probably will try to see if I can fit a 240 for my cpu and use a 360 for my gpu. The 120mm per component rule is apparently not enough for 30 series. At least thats what I hear. I am so confused lol. 

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

One would work, but temps would be a lot higher than you'd want for a custom water loop. I'd shoot for dual 360s if you can. Maybe try to do an externally mounted radiator?

Would the temps be better strix stock cooler and my cpu aio? 

1 hour ago, Chris Pratt said:

You're talking about potentially around 550-600W of power draw at full tilt. Maybe two 360s, but one isn't going to cut it, I don't think.

This is my fear. Some one suggested a 240 and a 360. Might have a better chance at fitting my case. I love my case I would hate to lose it. 

6 minutes ago, ManUfc237 said:

Would the temps be better strix stock cooler and my cpu aio? 

They'd probably be the same if you were just using a single 360 custom loop. I personally wouldn't really bother if you can only do a single 360 radiator.

32 minutes ago, ManUfc237 said:

Hmm, that is a good idea. I will look into this. 

Comments like these give me hope haha. I probably will try to see if I can fit a 240 for my cpu and use a 360 for my gpu. The 120mm per component rule is apparently not enough for 30 series. At least thats what I hear. I am so confused lol. 

Dude do a single loop that contains cpu and gpu unless you are going for a world record in overclocking. It would be a waste of money and time to dual loop your system.  Just 1 loop connecting every thing .

6 minutes ago, chaotic kronos said:

Dude do a single loop that contains cpu and gpu unless you are going for a world record in overclocking. It would be a waste of money and time to dual loop your system.  Just 1 loop connecting every thing .

Oh maybe I am wrong but I thought I could do two radiators in a single loop or am I mistaken? 

I think we might be thinking of the same thing and I just described it funny. 

2 hours ago, ManUfc237 said:

Oh maybe I am wrong but I thought I could do two radiators in a single loop or am I mistaken? 

They misunderstood. The way you worded it made them think that you meant two separate loops, because you dictated which radiator is serving which component and that's not how it works in a single loop.

You can definitely run a 360 and 240 with cpu/GPU blocks and a good pump.

3 hours ago, chaotic kronos said:

hmm i have 4 loops...and ya its a wast of moeny...but my whole pc is a wast of moeny.... then theres people that run 2+ pumps per loop... at lest im not there yet...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

afaik lancool one have clearance issue for top 240 rads, see pic

266348.9c530be1b7519ea2c1788e22e9912bc3.

since only your gpu is having temp/noise issue right? u can try my cheaper solution rather than going into full custom loop lol

I suggest u deshroud your gpu & zip tie some 80 or 92mm noctua on them

u can control fans via mobo or gpu if u have the picoblade to pwm adapter https://www.moddiy.com/products/Mini-4-Pin-GPU-to-2-x-4-Pin-PWM-Fan-Adapter.html

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini

11 hours ago, fonzz1e said:

afaik lancool one have clearance issue for top 240 rads, see pic

266348.9c530be1b7519ea2c1788e22e9912bc3.

since only your gpu is having temp/noise issue right? u can try my cheaper solution rather than going into full custom loop lol

I suggest u deshroud your gpu & zip tie some 80 or 92mm noctua on them

u can control fans via mobo or gpu if u have the picoblade to pwm adapter https://www.moddiy.com/products/Mini-4-Pin-GPU-to-2-x-4-Pin-PWM-Fan-Adapter.html

Could i not mount the 240 on the bottom and the 360 on the front? 

back in the day we use to recommend a 360 for the gpu and 360 for the cpu and that's with the 1366 i7920 and like gtx 580...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

On 12/24/2021 at 5:47 AM, ManUfc237 said:

Could i not mount the 240 on the bottom and the 360 on the front? 

deshroud & zip tie method much cheaper 😂

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini

On 12/23/2021 at 3:43 AM, ManUfc237 said:

Yeah . We r talking about the same thing but in a single loop there is no rad to 1 component . It's all rads to all components 

On 12/23/2021 at 7:07 AM, thrasher_565 said:

hmm i have 4 loops...and ya its a wast of moeny...but my whole pc is a wast of moeny.... then theres people that run 2+ pumps per loop... at lest im not there yet...

There is a difference for making 4 loops for looks (your choice) or think that u must run 2 loops ( at that point that person isn't doing it cuz his choice but he thought its a must ) . And lest be realistic every custom loop pc is kinda over kill and waste of money . Including my pc

11 hours ago, chaotic kronos said:

There is a difference for making 4 loops for looks (your choice) or think that u must run 2 loops ( at that point that person isn't doing it cuz his choice but he thought its a must ) . And lest be realistic every custom loop pc is kinda over kill and waste of money . Including my pc

It is a waste of money but it's also awesome and will extend the life of components. I am thinking of keeping my cpu aio and just mounting two rads in a gpu only loop and calling it a day. It's impractical in a way but it should still work. 

4 minutes ago, ManUfc237 said:

It is a waste of money but it's also awesome and will extend the life of components. I am thinking of keeping my cpu aio and just mounting two rads in a gpu only loop and calling it a day. It's impractical in a way but it should still work. 

At that point just use 1 rad and in the future buy another rad and cpu block when your aio dies which is a matter of when not if it fails

24 minutes ago, chaotic kronos said:

At that point just use 1 rad and in the future buy another rad and cpu block when your aio dies which is a matter of when not if it fails

I will save up for a cpu block and rad in the future for sure. From what I can tell it shouldn't be too hard to add to the loop later. Drain loop > remove a couple pipes > install block> install rad > add new pipes to existing loop. 

I would just use one and save myself a headache getting a new case but I have seen posts claiming that a single 360mm rad is not optimal for temps for my card and that it would be noisy I will save up for a cpu block and rad in the future for sure.

Aio custom loop combo should work in the mean time right? 

2 hours ago, ManUfc237 said:

I will save up for a cpu block and rad in the future for sure. From what I can tell it shouldn't be too hard to add to the loop later. Drain loop > remove a couple pipes > install block> install rad > add new pipes to existing loop. 

I would just use one and save myself a headache getting a new case but I have seen posts claiming that a single 360mm rad is not optimal for temps for my card and that it would be noisy I will save up for a cpu block and rad in the future for sure.

well the safe rage is 75-85c so if your in the range then your good. but there are people that want it even higher then that close to 90c when overclocked. just depends on what you want.  thows temps would be crappy on water but should still be fine.

in all in all most will upgrade there parts before they die so...

there has not been any proof the lower temps dose mean longer life like its just a guess to how electronics works

21 hours ago, ManUfc237 said:

People claimed that a single rad won't be enough for a cpu and gpu. However a single rad for gpu is perfect. And yes it as easy as installing another rad and cpu block later and changing acouple of tube runs . It should be normal for you to run your aio for cpu and custom loop for gpu and add cpu block and another rad whenever you feel like it

9 hours ago, chaotic kronos said:

People claimed that a single rad won't be enough for a cpu and gpu. However a single rad for gpu is perfect. And yes it as easy as installing another rad and cpu block later and changing acouple of tube runs . It should be normal for you to run your aio for cpu and custom loop for gpu and add cpu block and another rad whenever you feel like it

Awesome this is good to hear. My aio cools my cpu so damn well and it feels like a waste to just replace it when it works still. I will add the cpu block when it dies or I upgrade my cpu years from now. Thanks for all the advice Kronos

so i've got a 10900kf and a 3080 ftw3 ultra, the EK configurator recommends a single 360 mm rad for my set up. says its good for up to 597 w of cooling. i'd say you're good with a single 360 mm rad

10 hours ago, ManUfc237 said:

Awesome this is good to hear. My aio cools my cpu so damn well and it feels like a waste to just replace it when it works still. I will add the cpu block when it dies or I upgrade my cpu years from now. Thanks for all the advice Kronos

Any time