Strix 3080 OC stuttering/ micro stuttering on powerful pc

Hey everyone, so I’ve upgraded to an asus strix 3080 OC from a gtx 1080 strix OC and I’m unfortunately experiencing micro stuttering, not to mention the frigin thing has coil whine… but that’s the least of my problems. The micro stuttering isn’t incredibly bad, i wouldn’t say it makes a game unplayable, but it makes you so annoyed that you just wanna punch something. My system can definitely handle the power which is why this makes no sense, and it doesn’t micro stutter on every game which is super strange. My system has an I9 10900k @3.7ghz, 32gb of Corsair ram @3600mhz (I have xmp1 on), 850W Corsair power supply, ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING motherboard, 1TB western digital ssd, and of course the rtx 3080 OC. I’m just so puzzled bc I had no issues with my 1080, and when you pay for an EXPENSIVE gpu aka the 3080, you expect it to be a no bs smooth experience in the games you play. It does it on red dead redemption 2 (story mode), gta5 (story mode and online), a new BR called super people, Outer Worlds, and Jedi fallen order. I’ve tried so many things, and yes I’ve uninstalled the drivers with DDU and used the custom installation method to have a clean instal with the nvida drivers. I’ve done  other things as well like mess with the prefer max power in the nvida 3D settings, which honestly made some games crash after a while of playing. At this point I’m thinking it’s just a faulty card, maybe something is wrong with the memory in the gpu, or maybe I just have to much RGB lmfao. I should probably add that I use msi after burner to monitor everything. The frame time, frame rate, temps, gpu/cpu usage… all looks fine other than the damn frametime and micro stutters. Although I have noticed in some instances where when I do get a micro stutter or stutter in general, the gpu usage spikes down and the cpu usage spikes up for a split second, which in some cases when that happens the cpu usage will actually be higher than the gpu, then goes back to normal which is so weird!! Non of it makes sense to me and I’m just so mad, the FPS in my games are incredible but this micro stutter bs is getting to me! I’m about to send it for repair through asus or ask for a replacement but it’s just so strange that maybe it’s something stupid and not gpu related at all. My monitor is a 1920x1080p 1ms 144hz asus monitor, which this one is prob 5 or 4 years old now and it doesn’t have gsync or adaptive sync… could that be an issue??? I would really appreciate some help or advice if possible, sorry for the long thread but I wanted to get everything out there.

Stuttering is usually a software issue and is common in bloated Windows installs.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

try running your pc at completely stock settings , default bios settings (its called load optimized default,  usually)

also basic windows power settings (balanced) 

and can try DDU your GPU drivers ...

as said above this is usually a software/settings issue,  and thats how you fix it, most of the time!

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Had some similar issues going from a 980ti to a 3080ti. Which could be fixed by setting Power management mode to maximum performance in NVIDIA control panel but then the card stayed at boost until shutting down the PC.

I really fixed it by changing a few things in NVIDIA Control Panel and in Windows settings.

Since that was about 3 month ago I don't remember everything I did but:

- Make sure that in the advanced Windows Power settings (under PCI express) Link State Power Management is off

- I think I also turned off Game Mode and hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling in Windows

- set threaded optimization and low latency mode to off in NVIDIA control panel leave Power management mode at normal

- set the PCIe mode in BIOS from Auto to x16 3.0 manually

- activate ReBAR in Bios (if not present update BIOS first)

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

I wasn’t really expecting such fast responses so thanks guys!!! I’ll definitely try some of these things out and see how it goes, I’ve used DDU already but I’ll try it again just to see. I was wondering if clearing the CMOS might be good for anything? To my knowledge all it does is revert the bios back in to a default state. Also I had something strange happen, I noticed that the stuttering was bad in super people (a new BR game), the Frame time would spike to 70ms every 10 seconds no matter what I was doing, even on the menu. Then I went on gta5 story mode to check and it was the same on there! I got mad and logged off for the night. Then today when I got on it wasn’t doing it anymore on those games… That’s the second time I’ve had something like this happen with the 3080 installed. I didn’t change any settings, it just wasn’t doing it today and I don’t understand why. I have clips of the frame times being bad, then them being good out of the blue. Tomorrow I’ll post them here to show you guys what I mean. Thanks again for the responses! However, Jedi fallen order and red dead 2seem  to stutter no matter what, but I’m thinking that those games are just badly optimized for the 30 series. Like I said it’s not constant stuttering, it seems to do it when loading things in like a different part of the map or section. 

maybe its windows updates in the background or something, hard to tell...

but yeah, reset cmos, load default settings (its basically an automatic thing after resetting) and ddu again *in safe mode*

basically just try running as close to  stock as possible,  so 100% actually,  no xmp either.  default power settings etc etc

and no, a 3080 shouldn't have issues with any game really,  its most likely some odd settings or drivers or 3rd party apps in the background. 

i also don't think its a defect, just seems unlikely. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I'll make sure to do that! I just wanted to attach this clip of me playing farcry5 to show you what the frame time spikes look like on certain games. I noticed that on gta5 that sometimes it does it, then other times it wont... its so strange.

DDU I'd say is almost always the ticket. Remember too do it in safe mode. Pre-download the drivers and restart in safe mode once they are gone. Reinstall drivers in safe mode. Make sure it's with no networking too or windows will try to grab the Game Ready Driver windows has on Windows Update. Which is usually months out of date.

• 1 month later...

Hey man! So glad I found this thread. I have a 3080 Strix, just upgraded from a 1070 strix and upgraded my CPU to a 5800x from 2700x. Having the EXACT same issue here. Small microstutters that won’t ruin the game but SHOULDNT be there. I’ll walk past objects and they’ll sort of shift around. Not always , and not for every game. Strangely enough though, I’ve found that restarting my computer will lessen the stutters in some games sometimes,  which makes me hope this isn’t a GPU issue. I can relate to so many things on this forum. I keep thinking it’s hardware damage or a faulty card because of these microstutters but it’s weird that it’s not every game. I do have a shit ton of RGB, but I don’t remember any of these problems on my old 1070 and 2700x. Everything felt smooth as butter, but this unfortunately isn’t the case with my new card 😞 I’m taking it to my PC store soon to get this figured out. One thing I was told that it could be Intel XMP ram on a Ryzen motherboard. I have Corsair vengeance pro 3600mz but Intel xmp, and NOT Ryzen optimized. Even though the specs say my ram is compatible with my motherboard ( asus rog strix 570E ) there’s Corsair ram same model that is specifically for AMD and isn’t compatible at all with Intel. I’m hoping this is a ram issue, but I’ve wasted so much time this winter trying to solve this issue.

My guess is the software is just really disliking your overclock frequency I know Activision games will freeze and crash to desktop on frequencies above like 1900 mhz's. 

I love PC building and gaming. 
REMEMBER botttlenecks can happen at all points of a PC part. Make sure you are at equilibrium. For all parts unless you intend to upgrade at a later point. Also QA Tested AAA Games.

• 2 years later...

I have a 3080 OC Strix White Edition with this problem. I fixed it recently because with Alan Wake 2, it became unplayable. Run good for a bit, then micro stutter, followed by a permanent drop in framerate until restarting the game. I noticed a coil whine tick timed with every stutter, as well as when I would change graphics setting.

I read that power draw on the coils causes the whine, so if I figured if I could prevent the whine, I could stablize the GPU. Plus I've been wanting to run my pc more energy efficient anyways (I run a 2950x but a seagate 1000w PSU, the psu can handle anything, but electricity is money).

I run afterburner for tweaking settings, so I droped the Power Limit to 60-70%, but cranked the voltage (maxed it, they're hard limited anyways), and core clock (+200), and memory (+1000). The whine is now gone and my systems never been more stable. Undervolting in my case does nothing for coil whine, but overall power draw does. I don't think voltage change is related to that other than affecting the watts being pulled.