SSD help needed!!

John UK

Hi guys, please someone point me in the right way as I'm lost??

I have a Lenovo G50-70 I7 it has a 500gig HD but I would love to but a SSD in, however I have no idea what to use I was routing around on Amazon and found this SSD "Crucial BX500 480 GB CT480BX500SSD1-Up to 540 MB/s (Internal SSD, 3D NAND, SATA, 2.5 Inch), Black" it is the same make as my RAM chips.

I know Linus keeps banging on about D-ram cash, I looked but could no see it mentioned in the specs for the Crucial SSD.!!

I was hopping you guys could help me out many many thanks if you can John

4 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

BX500 is DRAM-less. Still should be much better than a HDD

what they said! After some quick browsing i can see that the wd blue 3d ssd costs about thye same and has DRAM cache 🙂 If you want to look into more drives i suggest checking out the "budget sata" and "moderate sata" categories here: https://ssd.borecraft.com/SSD_Buying_Guide_List.pdf - (source  u/NewMaxx on reddit)

i think this is ssd is too expensive if your motherboard supports a m.2 ssd like the kingston a2000 and the Addlink S70 i will buy that it is faster otherwise i will get the 870 EVO

Thank you all for your help and ideas

all the best John

are you planning on reinstalling your laptop with the new SSD, or would you want it to replace your HDD with all the contents on it?

if the latter, look into buying a samsung SSD. they're quite a bit more pricy, but samsung has a REALLY user friendly tool to clone your data to the new SSD. (to do so, you'll probably have to pick up an USB enclosure for it too, but those can be had for fairly cheap)

2 minutes ago, John UK said:

i would love to just copy and paste my HD and i do have a USB enclosure.

Samsung 860 EVO 250 GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (MZ-76E250) : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

i just found this what do you think?

If 250gb is enough for you it's a great SSD, one of the best SATA SSD's.

they do lots of different sizes I will get the 500gig £85.00