Making my Motherboard Look Less Ugly

CT854

A while ago I bought an ugly, charmless Q170A board off eBay. It's a classic green PCB with nothing fancy to it at all. This is the picture of it on the eBay listing I got it from:

image.png.399944f02352c28ec730b75ff2014b9b.png

It works well enough and I got it for a decent deal. Paired it with an i5-6500 for a side build I have. I have, though, been thinking of cleaning up the build it's in, dressing it up with some RGB LEDs (no ARGB header so I'll probably do some cheapo controller thing) and selling it to someone who wants a cheap gaming rig. One thing I haven't been able to get past, though, is how on earth I'd be able to sell it if it has the forest green PCB.

I've been wondering if I could mod the motherboard to kinda look like the the NZXT N7 B550 board:

image.png.66a8d901da07763907d4131155ccfc9f.png

Much cleaner, and pleasing to the eye. I could probably 3D-print plates that look like the plats on the N7 so that isn't the issue.

My question, though, is how on earth would I be able to mount those plates? I have the manual to the Q170A board but I guess my question lies more in, what can I do to the board to get the plates to mount on it without physically damaging the board, rendering it useless? I obviously can't drill holes through the PCB and I don't really know what else I could do without damaging the board. Any ideas?

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

The way I would design it would be that the cover mounts on when you mount the motherboard, that way you can use the same screw holes you already have. It will make the motherboard a little more annoying to mount, and you'll probably have to get some longer screws to use in the motherboard standoffs, but it's probably the most straightforward and easy way to make something like this. You want to avoid drilling through the motherboard, and aside from using some sort of clip mechanism that would be very hard to design, it seems like your best option.

EDIT: Another thing you could do would be to just mount the motherboard into the case with standoffs, they're threaded the same way as most motherboard mounting screws and should hold the motherboard in just fine. That way you get the motherboard mounted, and then you mount the cover right after, making it easier overall, and the motherboard remains grounded to the case (not something that's really necessary, but still nice to have if possible).

Easiest thing would be to get a case with a solid side panel

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

12 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The way I would design it would be that the cover mounts on when you mount the motherboard, that way you can use the same screw holes you already have. It will make the motherboard a little more annoying to mount, and you'll probably have to get some longer screws to use in the motherboard standoffs, but it's probably the most straightforward and easy way to make something like this. You want to avoid drilling through the motherboard, and aside from using some sort of clip mechanism that would be very hard to design, it seems like your best option.

It would indeed be annoying to mount it at the same time as the case screws, since I'd also have to either source or design standoff screws that are just that much longer so I can mount the cover as well. But it probably looks like my best option right now so I'll keep it in mind.

12 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

EDIT: Another thing you could do would be to just mount the motherboard into the case with standoffs, they're threaded the same way as most motherboard mounting screws and should hold the motherboard in just fine. That way you get the motherboard mounted, and then you mount the cover right after, making it easier overall, and the motherboard remains grounded to the case (not something that's really necessary, but still nice to have if possible).

This is... interesting. I think I actually do have spare standoffs lying around. I can test this to see if it works...

12 hours ago, adarw said:

Just a lil' squeamish about this screwing with internals on the board but I have thought about this.

11 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

Easiest thing would be to get a case with a solid side panel

Yeah, it would be the easiest. But I kinda wanna see what I can do to mod it before I weasal my way out with a solid side panel. I already have the case, which is just some acryllic monstrosity that mounts onto the side of the case, so 3D printing a side panel would be... easy, if a bit time-consuming.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)