Is bridging my 2 ethernet ports a good idea?

aprice194

Just looking for validation on whether or not this will help me before going any further.

I have a 1.5 gig fibre connection and my isp(bell) provided router only has gigabit ports.  My motherboard (MSI Tomahawk B550) has 2 ethernet ports.  Would I be able to connect both of these to the router and bridge the connection to fully take advantage of the 1.5 gig connection?  I would need to wire up a new cat 6 cable and don't want to do it unless it would work haha.  I would also need to get a small switch for the other connections in the house as my isp router ports are all in use currently.

I only use the isp router for the cable box connections and my desktop pc.  I run everything else through my own router.

Pretty sure the router does not support channel bonding. So no, it would be of no use.

Maybe someone else has better news, but you'd first need to provide more information about the router(s) in question. What's their exact model?

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

9 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

Pretty sure the router does not support channel bonding. So no, it would be of no use.

Maybe someone else has better news, but you'd first need to provide more information about the router(s) in question. What's their exact model?

Thanks for the reply, the ISP router is the Bell Home Hub 3000 WiFi router.  As far as I can tell from a quick google search, it's a SAGEMCOM 5566.  It doesn't look like it will do Channel Bonding from anything I can find.

Thanks again for your reply.

There is no easy way to get more then 1gbit on the Home Hub 3000.   Your fiber is connected by an SFP module which you could technically bypass the homehub 3000 if you really want to get 1.5gbit on your computer, that is not easy and it is complex.

Depending on where you live the new Bell home hub 4000 does have a 10gbit lan port.  So you can get the full speed with the 4000 modem\router.  Not sure which areas are getting it, I know people in the Toronto area are getting them.