Modem/Router Help

Archerr
Go to solution Solved by Archerr,
2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

With DSL there are a few flavors. aDSL, aDSL2, and VDSL to name a few. Im not an expert with DSL but Id assume you can find a Combo that supports all of the DSL standards. 

Ok thanks

This is my first time buying a modem/router as ive always used the one that came with my isp, though I have just changed my isp and cant use my old Telstra router. I am looking for a new Router/Modem combo or something which I wont need a separate modem for. I'm on the NBN network with FTTN to my house and is only capable of 20mbps down and 7mbps up so max speed of the router/modem isnt a concern. While ive been looking ive seen a lot of routers saying MU-MIMO which from my little research I think it acts sort of like a modem by allowing multiple devices to connect to the router, though I don't know much. If I buy a router like this one which supports MU-MIMO will It just work as my old router/modem did or will I need to buy something else, or mess around with settings.

Thanks in advance!

3 minutes ago, Archerr said:

This is my first time buying a modem/router as ive always used the one that came with my isp, though I have just changed my isp and cant use my old Telstra router. I am looking for a new Router/Modem combo or something which I wont need a separate modem for. I'm on the NBN network with FTTN to my house and is only capable of 20mbps down and 7mbps up so max speed of the router/modem isnt a concern. While ive been looking ive seen a lot of routers saying MU-MIMO which from my little research I think it acts sort of like a modem by allowing multiple devices to connect to the router, though I don't know much. If I buy a router like this one which supports MU-MIMO will It just work as my old router/modem did or will I need to buy something else, or mess around with settings.

Thanks in advance!

MU-MIMO has nothing to do with Modems. It just part of the WIFi standard. Allows multiple devices to communicate with the router at one time stands for Multiple Input, Multiple output.

Also Combo devices are internet type specific. Meaning you need to know if the internet is over DSL, Coax or actual Fiber Optic cable. Fiber internet has an ONT which kinda acts like a modem. Both DSL and Coax based solutions each have their own modem standards. Your not going generally find a device that covers all your bases. I do know some Telecoms here in the US use DSL and Fiber and have devices that can do either type of internet. The same cant be said about Coax based internet.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

MU-MIMO has nothing to do with Modems. It just part of the WIFi standard. Allows multiple devices to communicate with the router at one time stands for Multiple Input, Multiple output.

Also Combo devices are internet type specific. Meaning you need to know if the internet is over DSL, Coax or actual Fiber Optic cable. Fiber internet has an ONT which kinda acts like a modem. Both DSL and Coax based solutions each have their own modem standards. Your not going generally find a device that covers all your bases. I do know some Telecoms here in the US use DSL and Fiber and have devices that can do either type of internet. The same cant be said about Coax based internet.

Its DSL, and if i just buy a modem/router combo will everything just work?

2 minutes ago, Archerr said:

Its DSL

With DSL there are a few flavors. aDSL, aDSL2, and VDSL to name a few. Im not an expert with DSL but Id assume you can find a Combo that supports all of the DSL standards. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Ok thanks

I always leave their router in place, turn off the WiFi on it then plug my own router into theirs. Asus has some nice ones. I use ubiquiti now because I needed more than general consumer but they have an amplifi brand for consumers that's good too.