Loud noise coming from new speakers !

Rui Neves

So I bought a pair of speakers today and the speakers are totally fine , was like 10€ and imo the sound is amazing for the price , at least for my ears ! the speakers are the "mars gaming ms1" ... but ,on games it make a sound that looks similar to coil whine on my GPU , when I am playing something that I know my gpu will have coil whine noise I have got the same noise on speakers , I tried like 3 or 4 games , does not appear to be on all games for some reason , even playing all games capped at 60 fps , when I´ve got the louder noise was on fifa 22(menus and replays mostly , for any odd reason ) , I will let the example here : https://soundcloud.com/rui-neves-153865262%2Fstatuc View: https://soundcloud.com/rui-neves-153865262/statuc/s-3OgjHAX7kIn?si=ee36fd2fb3fa4cc083eb8142b7b29b8e&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

I found that this can solve the issue , it really solves it or is a waste of money ? https://www.amazon.es/-/pt/dp/B093KFTCHN/ref=nav_signin?keywords=ground+loop+isolator&qid=1639181855&refinements=p_n_shipping_option-bin:2019494031,p_36:1323855031&rnid=1323854031&s=electronics&sr=1-1&

PS: Speakers are powered by usb , the usb is connected o the computer , and the 3,5mm jack is connected to the monitor. as soon I disconnect the usb the noise stops.

PC specs :
AOC monitor with 21" and freesync , 75hz
Gigabyte b450 gaming X
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Kingston HyperX FURY DDR4 (with RGB) at 3200mhz with XMP profile 1 enabled
XFX RX 580 GTS XXX 4gb
Bitfenix formula gold 550w
3 hdd´s from WD , 1 wd green , 1wd black ,1 wd blue
1 ssd ( kingston a400 120gb)

Not that surprising that terribly built e-waste speakers (sorry..) are exhibiting electrical noise. That isolator may potentially fix the issue but they're powered via the computer (USB) as well so maybe not. They make USB ground loop isolators as well so you might need both.

4 minutes ago, rickeo said:

Not that surprising that terribly built e-waste speakers (sorry..) are exhibiting electrical noise. That isolator may potentially fix the issue but they're powered via the computer (USB) as well so maybe not. They make USB ground loop isolators as well so you might need both.

If I connect the usb to a mobile charger can fix the issue or is an internet myth ? 

Just now, Rui Neves said:

If I connect the usb to a mobile charger can fix the issue or is a internet myth ? 

Theoretically, if the noise is entering via USB, yes. I cannot give you any guarantees so you'd have to just try it.

Just now, rickeo said:

Theoretically, if the noise is entering via USB, yes. I cannot give you any guarantees so you'd have to just try it.

well I will try .the speakers have 10w power (5w each side ) should be a charger with 5v and 1 amp or 2 amps ? 

Does that happen when using the onboard audio?

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Just now, CTR640 said:

Does that happen when using the onboard audio?

on my earphones no , but did not tried to connect the 3.5mm jack of the speakers to my motherboard yet . 

3 minutes ago, Rui Neves said:

on my earphones no , but did not tried to connect the 3.5mm jack of the speakers to my motherboard yet . 

I was wondering if an external sound will fix that. Perhaps, if one of your friends could borrow one to you?

Or digital coax or optical?

DAC/AMPs:

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Just now, CTR640 said:

I was wondering if an external sound will fix that. Perhaps, if one of your friends could borrow one to you?

but the onboard audio on my earphones work well 

Just now, Rui Neves said:

but the onboard audio on my earphones work well 

Yeah, for some reason not surprising, not sure why. Aren't speakers much more sensitive?

DAC/AMPs:

3 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

Yeah, for some reason not surprising, not sure why. Aren't speakers much more sensitive?

I have not tried to connect the jack of the speakers to the motherboard yet ... but disconnecting the usb that power up  the speakers cuts off the noise 100% , but the usb is connected to the motherboard .  

Is this the correct one?:

https://www.techinn.com/f/13831/138316787_4/mars-gaming-2.0-ms1-10w-speaker.jpg

The usb is used to provide power. So you can try an usb-charger that you get with your smartphone for example.

DAC/AMPs:

1 minute ago, CTR640 said:

Is this the correct one?:

https://www.techinn.com/f/13831/138316787_4/mars-gaming-2.0-ms1-10w-speaker.jpg

The usb is used to provide power. So you can try an usb-charger that you get with your smartphone for example.

I will try that , if that works it´s fine for me . one more usb empty to use for another thing xD . do you have any idea if I should use 5V and 1A o 5V 2A ?

2 minutes ago, Rui Neves said:

I will try that , if that works it´s fine for me . one more usb empty to use for another thing xD . do you have any idea if I should use 5V and 1A o 5V 2A ?

Yeah, that would free up for another thing indeed 😛

Regarding the last question, 5V 1A should be enough. I mean, it's not like you need QuickCharge usb lol

DAC/AMPs:

5 minutes ago, Rui Neves said:

Doesn't hurt to go for the higher amperage (in case the speakers are lying and have a higher transient load), it shouldn't draw more than it needs.  Just don't buy a cheap no brand charger or that itself might introduce noise.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Doesn't hurt to go for the higher amperage, it wont draw more than it needs.  Just don't buy a cheap no brand charger or that itself might introduce noise.

I think I have a samsung charger somewhere in my house and an ASUS too (that one is for sure :P) . thank you 🙂

4 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

Yeah, that would free up for another thing indeed 😛

Regarding the last question, 5V 1A should be enough. I mean, it's not like you need QuickCharge usb lol

I am not very good at eletronic , I though that would need 2 A because the speakers use 10 W , so In my head 10w should be 5v X 2 amp . 

2 minutes ago, Rui Neves said:

I am not very good at eletronic , I though that would need 2 A because the speakers use 10 W , so In my head 10w should be 5v X 2 amp . 

USB chargers are no problem because they are available in different versions. Is the 5V 1A not enough? You can use the more powerfull one.

But it's very important never cheap out on usb-chargers, avoid Chinese and other unknown/nonbranded ones.

DAC/AMPs:

1 minute ago, CTR640 said:

USB chargers are no problem because they are available in different versions. Is the 5V 1A not enough? You can use the more powerfull one.

But it's very important never cheap out on usb-chargers, avoid Chinese and other unknown/nonbranded ones.

no I never cheap out on chargers , only if I don´t even care about a phone xD . my fear was only if I used more amp´s than needed could harm the speakers . 

8 minutes ago, Rui Neves said:

no I never cheap out on chargers , only if I don´t even care about a phone xD . my fear was only if I used more amp´s than needed could harm the speakers . 

I think you should worry more than about your phone XD

Yep, try 5V 1A first to be sure.

DAC/AMPs:

2 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

I think you should worry more than about your phone XD

Yep, try 5V 1A first to be sure.

I care about both 😛 , the speakers are cheaper , but I will test with 1 Amp and see 

What was the result? USB noise or coil whine is very difficult to isolate.  I know there are ground loop isolators but the audiophile grade one I found was very expensive.  There is also air gapping but again that's expensive.  Whatever your solution please let me know.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

11 hours ago, Rui Neves said:

I care about both 😛 , the speakers are cheaper , but I will test with 1 Amp and see 

Basically if its too low then at louder volumes it will distort/cut out.

Have some USB speakers here and they're rated 1A but work fine on a USB 2.0 port as the volume is never that high.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

14 hours ago, Psittac said:

What was the result? USB noise or coil whine is very difficult to isolate.  I know there are ground loop isolators but the audiophile grade one I found was very expensive.  There is also air gapping but again that's expensive.  Whatever your solution please let me know.

It's better than before for sure . I don't hear the loud noise as before , the noise is much lower . So it helps a lot but not perfect but the quality of speakers are not perfect either for this price so I would say it works .

Have another doubt btw , I can leave the speakers always on the charger without any issue ? They dont have any power button .