Elp!!! Brand new comp, i12900k. 100C shutdown!

JanKaare

Help!! 

Just got my brand new desktop pc built. Felt like I did a good job, even though this is my first time. Double checked most procsesses throughout building the PC. Cant see what is wrong.

The PC starts, all fans work. It boots to Bios, then the CPU temp goes gradually up to 100 degrees C, then the pc freezes. I feel warmth in the area around the CPU. Took a picture of the BIOS after it froze. Tried to start it again, but shut strsight down after 4 seconds.  

Took out the batteries in the cmos. Waited 10 min and tried again. The PC booted inti BIOS, the cpu was 80 degrees, went to 100 within 1 minute and froze again. 

Please help, what could be the issue here?? In all the research before building and watching tech videos over the years, I have not ecountered info on the particular problem, so I feel completely clueless. 

Any tips for a step by step to try to fix the issue?? Was careful when mounting the CPU. Peeled plastic off cooling block, applied enough thermal paste, checked it before completing the mount. The BIOS shows that the CPU-cooler is working. And why would even the CPU go to freaking 100 degrees just by being in BIOS? 

The CPU was sold by a professional company as bulk, and not in box. 

IMG_20211210_203447.jpg

RAM is supposed to be 3200, thought I'd fix that after installing windows. 

Cooler is Arctic Freezer ii 360mm with the upgraded LGA 1700 mounting bracket. 

PSU is Rog Strix 850W gaming 80+Gold 

Case is BeQuiet 500DX

Hi,

Good job for 1st build, it posts in one go, so thats good.

Ill give my thoughts, but wait for 2 or more responses as others might have other/better ideas that might involve less rework to try first.

Sounds to me like uneven mounting pressure of the cooler, or perhaps a blob of paste somehwere preventing good even contact.

Remove the cooler and check both coldplat and ihs for even spread/contact.

On reattempt make sure not to tighten any cooler screwws in one go, turn them a bit each time, going from screw to screw in diagonal pattern (theres lots of yt vids showing how to).

Hope hou get it resolved quickly (but take your time, dont rush) ; youre done 99% of the way already.

You'll want to try installing that cooler again. Clean the thermal paste of both and reapply.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

3 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

What cooler? If not designed for LGA1700, do you have a bracked for it installed?

17 minutes ago, JanKaare said:

Cooler is Arctic Freezer ii 360mm with the upgraded LGA 1700 mounting bracket. 

🙂

(not trying to be a smartass, just hoping to move this forward so we/you can provide help fast as possible; im not familliar with that socket type or bracket so hoping you can provide tips)

2 minutes ago, Bartholomew said:

🙂

(not trying to be a smartass, just hoping to move this forward so we/you can provide help fast as possible; im not familliar with that socket type or bracket so hoping you can provide tips)

Read over that, thanks for letting me know 😉

To OP, try remounting the cooler and make sure it's mounted tightly. 

Rhanks for all the quick replys, looks like I have to dismount the cooling block and try the thermal paste again. It obly makes sense since its the cpu getting too hot, ans the bios is pickibg up the cooler. I will take photos when I do this to keep you posted. 

Additional question, could it be the power pins to the cpu is wrong? The motherboard accepts 12 pins. I have two 8pin cords that are split, could I have used the wrong pne in the remaining 4slot? Or is this not a possible problem?? Also abit afraid that I have tugged too hard when cable managing, but dont feel like I did. 

IMG_20211211_000413.jpg

IMG_20211211_000420.jpg

Heres some pictures of how the thermal paste that was on looked like. Wouldnt think its TOO much but definately on the liberal side. Following is a picture of the new application and a picture after pressing the cooler block on before mounting. 

IMG_20211211_003748.jpg

IMG_20211211_003754.jpg

IMG_20211211_004550.jpg

IMG_20211211_004726.jpg

IMG_20211211_004730.jpg

Tried booting it up, and the same exact thing happened. Got a video of the last seconds of it. And then i kept filming to see if it turned off on camera. I stopped filming and it turned off 1 min after filming. You can see how absurdly quick the cpu temp goes up. Then at 100C it just freezes. This shouldnt be normal in BIOS?? The area around the cpu didnt feel hot. 

Contemplating if the tubes to the Aio has too steep of a bend at the start. Cant top mount it cause of the case. Dont want to turn it around cause of the danger of gurgling noises and this configuration should be better... From my experience in other stuff I wouldnt think the pipes have a too sharp of a bend. 

IMG_20211211_005826.jpg

IMG_20211211_005946.jpg

1 minute ago, JanKaare said:

Tried booting it up, and the same exact thing happened. Got a video of the last seconds of it. And then i kept filming to see if it turned off on camera. I stopped filming and it turned off 1 min after filming. You can see how absurdly quick the cpu temp goes up. Then at 100C it just freezes. This shouldnt be normal in BIOS?? The area around the cpu didnt feel hot. 

Contemplating if the tubes to the Aio has too steep of a bend at the start. Cant top mount it cause of the case. Dont want to turn it around cause of the danger of gurgling noises and this configuration should be better... From my experience in other stuff I wouldnt think the pipes have a too sharp of a bend. 

IMG_20211211_005826.jpg

IMG_20211211_005946.jpg

Starting to wonder if theres even any liquid in the radiator xD 

28 minutes ago, JanKaare said:

Starting to wonder if theres even any liquid in the radiator xD 

Is the pump for the AiO plugged in? the bios screen shot shows no CPU fan or CPU pump plugged in.

Junk Yard Dog Build

I7 -10700K
MSI Z490 MPG Gaming Plus

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32gb (4x8gb) DDR4 (3200 MHz)

Gigabyte RTX 2060 Gaming OC Pro

Corsair H115i Platinum AIO

EVGA 750 GQ

In a Cyberpower PC X-Titan case

22 minutes ago, bondoao1 said:

Is the pump for the AiO plugged in? the bios screen shot shows no CPU fan or CPU pump plugged in.

From what I coul read from the manual an Aio is supposed to be plugged into the cpu_opt header. And a cpu fan should be plugged into the cpu_fan header. The opt shows up in the bios, thats where I plugged it. 

Here's a video from the latest reboot. The cpu temp goes up extremely fast. Starting to think that either the Aio pump is not working. Or its not getting any liquid. Gonna try tomorrow to dismount it and just lay iy loose on top of the case, also have a feel if I can feel water running trough the tubes.. If it works then it's solved. If it still doesnt work, I'll have to replace the cooler I think. 

Oh, cant share video cause its over 20mb. Ill try these things tomorrow and try to get a short video of it if it still is a problem. 

34 minutes ago, JanKaare said:

From what I coul read from the manual an Aio is supposed to be plugged into the cpu_opt header. And a cpu fan should be plugged into the cpu_fan header. The opt shows up in the bios, thats where I plugged it. 

If there's a pump header plug it in to that. Otherwise it can be plugged in to any other header but that header needs to be set to run at 100% always in the BIOS.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

9 hours ago, Spotty said:

If there's a pump header plug it in to that. Otherwise it can be plugged in to any other header but that header needs to be set to run at 100% always in the BIOS.

The arctic freezer comes with only one wire for both the pump and all the fans. The MB only has 2 headers for cpu, cpu_fan and cpu_opt. The only header marked pump is sym_fan4_pump. 

Cant feel any vibrations in the tubes. I have another aio in a desktop, i can clearly feel vibrations in this one. Seems to me that the pump is not working, sent an email to the support of the store I purchased the part in. Currently waiting a for a reply. 

10 hours ago, bondoao1 said:

The cooler only has one wire to connect both pump and fans trough the same header. So the options that take the cpu into consideration is the cpu_fan or cpu_opt. Tried both, no difference. 

SOLVED!!! THANK GOD!! 

Solved the issue!!! All i had to do was hold it upside down, shake it a bit. Then hold it sideways and shake it!! Yes!!! Remembering a video with Jay and one with Steve that stated that iff all air got caught in the pump, this vould be an issue. Thought this would resolve itself with the carrying around Ive done in mounting and such. Holy shit! This is perfect!!😁😁👍 Its now at a steady 25 C in post. The pump was making alot of racket when water first came to it, so i kept moving and rotating till the air was all out of the pump!! 

Pheeew! First desktop build and really was thorough, but really thought I fucked it. What a silly problem to make the cpu overheat 😅

IMG_20211211_131531.jpg