Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bios doesn't list USB in boot order [solved]

humanoid__human
 Share

I've recently completed a new build and I am in the process of installing Windows on it. I have a bootable USB stick which I've plugged in, but it doesn't show up on the Boot Order part of the thing. In addition, the BIOS gets stuck on the loading screen when I restart it with the USB in. 

Build is Intel 10400F cpu, MSI 1080Ti graphics card, Gigabyte B560M DS3H AC motherboard, EVGA 450 BR power supply, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB RAM.

I don't think any of the parts are the problem unless it's the case's USB port, given that they all show up on the bios. I think I'm going to try transferring the files from that USB stick, which is a 3.0, to a 2.x one. 

In the meantime, any help would be welcome.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

The motherboard manual should tell you which USB port to use.

Ryzen 7 5800X w/Noctua NH-D15S / Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super / 32Gb Vengeance 3200 (4x8) / MSI X470

Sabrent Rocket 512Gb m.2 / 2x1Tb T-Force Vulcan SATA SSD / Seasonic Focus GX-750

Dell S3220DGF - curved 32" 1440p 165Hz

 

Ryzen 5 3600 w/Stealth / MSI RTX 2060 Gaming Z / 16Gb Vengeance 2666 / MSI X470

Intel 660p 1tb / 1Tb T-Force Vulcan SATA SSD / Thermaltake Smart 600W 80+

HP 32Q - 32" 1440p 60hz

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Euchre said:

What does it offer in the boot order?

Windows Boot Manager

I have also switched to a usb 2.x and it still doesn't work

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, humanoid__human said:

I've recently completed a new build and I am in the process of installing Windows on it. I have a bootable USB stick which I've plugged in, but it doesn't show up on the Boot Order part of the thing.

This is usually caused by the stick being formatted in the wrong way, specifically in MBR. However, this next part throws me off.

27 minutes ago, humanoid__human said:

Windows Boot Manager

I have also switched to a usb 2.x and it still doesn't work

If you have a Windows Boot Manager partition, that means Windows is already installed or partially installed.

 

So three questions:

  1. What happens when you boot it with no USB plugged in?
  2. What did you use to make the drive bootable?
  3. If you remove the hard drive or SSD from the computer, what happens when you try to boot from the flash drive?

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

This is usually caused by the stick being formatted in the wrong way, specifically in MBR. However, this next part throws me off.

If you have a Windows Boot Manager partition, that means Windows is already installed or partially installed.

 

So three questions:

  1. What happens when you boot it with no USB plugged in?
  2. What did you use to make the drive bootable?
  3. If you remove the hard drive or SSD from the computer, what happens when you try to boot from the flash drive?

What I think is happening is that one of my SSDs is a recycled one my dad gave me. It probably still has windows installed. However, when I boot it without the USB, it just goes to the BIOS. 
I don't know what was used; one of my dad's friends had it. 

I will try the last.


EDIT: so, I removed that one SSD (the other one is new and empty). Windows Boot Manager is still there. I think it might be that the USB wasn't made bootable properly. I will go download ubuntu (since it's free) and make it bootable with Rufus, then try it.

Edited by humanoid__human
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, humanoid__human said:

What I think is happening is that one of my SSDs is a recycled one my dad gave me. It probably still has windows installed. However, when I boot it without the USB, it just goes to the BIOS. 
I don't know what was used; one of my dad's friends had it. 

I will try the last.


EDIT: so, I removed that one SSD (the other one is new and empty). Windows Boot Manager is still there. I think it might be that the USB wasn't made bootable properly. I will go download ubuntu (since it's free) and make it bootable with Rufus, then try it.

Yes, most likely some of the Windows partions are still there. Probably the System Reserved, but not the actual C drive. Using Ubuntu to delete all the partions (just leave it as all unallocated space) should clear it up.

 

When you make the usb with Rufus, make sure to select GPT and UEFI, although those *should* be the default. Then for Windows, use the media creation tool to save it as an ISO and use Rufus to make your flash drive doing the same thing.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Yes, most likely some of the Windows partions are still there. Probably the System Reserved, but not the actual C drive. Using Ubuntu to delete all the partions (just leave it as all unallocated space) should clear it up.

 

When you make the usb with Rufus, make sure to select GPT and UEFI, although those *should* be the default. Then for Windows, use the media creation tool to save it as an ISO and use Rufus to make your flash drive doing the same thing.

Ubuntu is successfully installed, and the offending drive wiped. Will probably leave it as Ubuntu for now unless it's real bad.

Thanks for all the help!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×