Higher Ping on new "Better" router

mintesh

I purchased a new router to handle the wifi in my house better, but I'm getting significantly higher ping compared to my old router. I went from 27-28 to 38-40 on the closest game server to me. When I directly connect to my modem I get more like 35 ping to that same server. I've been checking my Pings using Azure speed dot com because I'm a Halo kid so that's what I'm mainly concerned about. I've also checked on speedtest, it is also higher than previously. New router is a RAX200 Nighthawk, and old router is an R6400 Nighthawk. I'm Testing this all Wired from my Desktop and am just wondering if someone can point me in a direction on a setting I may need to adjust or even just let me know I wasted my money. Speeds are 20 up consistent and 450 down consistent. Hoping to at least get my ping down to what my previous router managed. Thank you anyone who even just took the time to read this

16 minutes ago, mintesh said:

I purchased a new router to handle the wifi in my house better, but I'm getting significantly higher ping compared to my old router. I went from 27-28 to 38-40 on the closest game server to me. When I directly connect to my modem I get more like 35 ping to that same server. I've been checking my Pings using Azure speed dot com because I'm a Halo kid so that's what I'm mainly concerned about. I've also checked on speedtest, it is also higher than previously. New router is a RAX200 Nighthawk, and old router is an R6400 Nighthawk. I'm Testing this all Wired from my Desktop and am just wondering if someone can point me in a direction on a setting I may need to adjust or even just let me know I wasted my money. Speeds are 20 up consistent and 450 down consistent. Hoping to at least get my ping down to what my previous router managed. Thank you anyone who even just took the time to read this

Did you test switching back to the old router to confirm this wasn't just a coincidence?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

First thing I would look at if it's Wifi is band interference & negotiation settings. If you're in a building with multiple routers around you (ex. apartments) this is very relevant and you'll want to set "aggressive" negotiation.

Secondly, 35ms to Azure or Google on wire is not unreasonable but a pretty high ping if you're already getting 38-40 over Wi-Fi. You may have done this at the time but make sure your wifi adapter is off when performing the test. Past that I'd look at your modem and ISP (ex. replacing modem if older & replacing Coax connections with FTTH).

2 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Did you test switching back to the old router to confirm this wasn't just a coincidence?

Certainly also a valid test

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

yes I have, I'm actually currently plugging the old router into the modem, then the new router into the old for wifi, and plugging my PC into to old router and getting the same, better ping times as before on my PC. Wifi is also turned off on the old router currently. Sorry if I'm wording this confusingly. I have no valid excuse for that lol

2 minutes ago, uncreativespace said:

First thing I would look at if it's Wifi is band interference & negotiation settings. If you're in a building with multiple routers around you (ex. apartments) this is very relevant and you'll want to set "aggressive" negotiation.

Secondly, 35ms to Azure or Google on wire is not unreasonable but a pretty high ping if you're already getting 38-40 over Wi-Fi. You may have done this at the time but make sure your wifi adapter is off when performing the test. Past that I'd look at your modem and ISP (ex. replacing modem if older & replacing Coax connections with FTTH).

I'm not having issues with wifi, nor am I concerned with Wifi ping times currently. My concern is that my wired Ping times are around 10ms or more higher than they previously were before I "upgraded" my router

1 minute ago, mintesh said:

I'm not having issues with wifi, nor am I concerned with Wifi ping times currently. My concern is that my wired Ping times are around 10ms or more higher than they previously were before I "upgraded" my router

That makes more sense. Are you using the old router in bridge mode? Sounds like a double NAT situation. Plug the new router directly into the modem?

24 minutes ago, mintesh said:

I have factory reset both the modem and new router, I haven't adjusted the old router in case I decide to go back to using it. I am currently wired to the old router with the same ping times I am accustomed to. I currently have it set up Modem --> Old router (Wifi disabled) --> Wired to my Desktop, and also the new router (Wife enabled) 

1 minute ago, uncreativespace said:

That makes more sense. Are you using the old router in bridge mode? Sounds like a double NAT situation. Plug the new router directly into the modem?

My issue was occurring while just having the new router plugged into the modem, and then my Desktop into the new router. Currently my Desktop and new router are plugged into the old router, and my desktop is getting the same ping times I expected from before getting the new router. Not really my ideal permanent setup, just a work around that isn't great for now. I really do appreciate the time you are taking to try and help me btw 

4 minutes ago, mintesh said:

My issue was occurring while just having the new router plugged into the modem, and then my Desktop into the new router. Currently my Desktop and new router are plugged into the old router, and my desktop is getting the same ping times I expected from before getting the new router. Not really my ideal permanent setup, just a work around that isn't great for now. I really do appreciate the time you are taking to try and help me btw 

No worries, I do this sort of thing for a living and my work is pretty slow right now. It doesn't sound like you're having many LAN based issues if that's the case. At that point I'd take a look at your ISP and if the latency varies significantly between peak and off-peak hours.

8 minutes ago, uncreativespace said:

No worries, I do this sort of thing for a living and my work is pretty slow right now. It doesn't sound like you're having many LAN based issues if that's the case. At that point I'd take a look at your ISP and if the latency varies significantly between peak and off-peak hours.

I've got the lower ping time right now while plugged into my old router, and every time that I've switched to the new router I've had the higher ping times. All of this has been done today trying to do initial set up on the new router. My assumption was that I was missing a setting that I needed to change, or that maybe the new router is for some reason worse  when it comes to ping times for some reason. I've currently found a work around that if necessary to keep the lower times I'll keep, but I would prefer to not need to do that.