Have I nuked a component...

ArcherFish97
Go to solution Solved by ArcherFish97,

In case anyone does this in the future, I've purchased a new Lian Li Fan Hub through Ali express since nowhere else has them in stock (besides Amazon Japan). A reminder to check a how to guide no matter how sure you are of something. 

Was swapping out some bits and pieces on my pc. When I flipped it back over I noticed that a cable connected my Lian Li unifan hub had come loose. Either I'd snagged the cable behind the motherboard or just in the process of being turned upside down a few times I don't know. 

Regardless, it was hanging next to the fan header, and without thinking I just plugged it in and booted up the pc. The lights flashed on the fans and then settled with just half of one fans lights on. 

Realising that I'd obviously made and error I tried the header on the ARGB header along from the normal fan header. Still nothing. 

Eventually I realised that I should have been plugging it into the USB header and so did so. The fans started up in lovely rainbow colours after booting and I headed to the software relieved that I hadn't broken anything... Except that the software wasn't changing the fan speed or the colours of the fans. I tried swapping the header to another USB header but it seemed quite clear what had happened. 

Is there anyway of checking if I've nuked the fan controller by sending 12V to it instead of 5V and is there any way back from this? I can't find a standalone fan hub even though Lian Li's website says you can buy them. 

Any help is welcome, feel free to laugh at how stupid I was. 

If you somehow really did run 12v through the exact 5v lines then yeah that would destroy a 5v native device.

However id just reinstall the drivers and software first

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

If you somehow really did run 12v through the exact 5v lines then yeah that would destroy a 5v native device.

However id just reinstall the drivers and software first

Yeah I'm not sure if I have destroyed the controller since the fans do work with the lights coming on and so forth. The lack of any control does suggest I've destroyed it but the software is a good shout. 

I'm not super familiar with the Lian Li fan hub, but can you control the fans speeds through the BIOS? Does the fan hub plug into any of the fan headers on the motherboard?

Is it possible to plug the fans into the motherboard so that the motherboard can control fan speed while the hub controls lighting?

58 minutes ago, BecauseRussia said:

I'm not super familiar with the Lian Li fan hub, but can you control the fans speeds through the BIOS? Does the fan hub plug into any of the fan headers on the motherboard?

Is it possible to plug the fans into the motherboard so that the motherboard can control fan speed while the hub controls lighting?

This will be what I try next, fortunately I have 9 running plus 4 more that I can still control through other software. Since I'm sure I've killed the controller I'll try switching it to BIOS control till I can get a new fan hub. I don't have enough headers available to do what you suggested on your last point

In case anyone does this in the future, I've purchased a new Lian Li Fan Hub through Ali express since nowhere else has them in stock (besides Amazon Japan). A reminder to check a how to guide no matter how sure you are of something.