My pc smells a bit wierd when playing VR

OneOddWolf
Go to solution Solved by steelo,
9 minutes ago, OneOddWolf said:

Btw, still does not explain why the smell goes away when i turn off vr

VR games typically put pretty heavy loads on a gpu which, in turn draws a lot of wattage from the psu. I'm speculating as it's difficult to diagnose 'smells' over a forum, but I really do think your current psu and adapter is concerning.

Hello, so I have a weird problem with my pc,聽I have been using my pc for a couple of months now and I changed out my power supply, uhm, so聽when I play VR for a while the PSU starts to smell bad, I tried my 500-watt power supply it made wierd electronic noises that were loud when I played VR on that guy he would not turn off so fast in games, and I have no idea what to do, the PSU starts to smell bad after a couple of minutes while playing VR and then after the smell is there it gets worse the longer I play after I turn off VR the smell starts to go away slowly, and I don't know if I trust this PSU, it's a "750" watt PSU, and I would like to know why it does that, also the smell is kind of a plastic/electric smell, but when I open the psu and check all the compontents are fine and none of them are broken or melted, all of the components are fine and im scared to use VR if it smells bad 馃槵 if anyone got any idea why it does that please let me know ASAP.

My Specs:

PSU: ACE A-750BR
CPU: AMD FX-8350
MB: ASUS M5A78L-M PLUS/USB3
GPU:聽EVGA GTX 780 SC W/ACX
CPUC:聽VEETRO V3

CPUC: Central Processing Unit Cooler

My VR Headset:聽Oculus Rift CV1

Hello, i am oneoddwolf, i try to help or if i have problems ask politely, welp now that you are looking at my comment/post:

Specs:

GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 780 SC W/ACX @835mhz

CPU: AMD FX-8350 BLACK EDITION @4ghz

RAM: Kingston Valueram DDR3 1600MHz 4GB x4

PSU: ACE A-750BR 750watt

MB: ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3

SSD: SAMSUNG聽MZ7LF192HCGS-000L1

HDD:聽HITACHI HTS545050B9A300

2 minutes ago, OneOddWolf said:

Hello, so I have a weird problem with my pc,聽I have been using my pc for a couple of months now and I changed out my power supply, uhm, so聽when I play VR for a while the PSU starts to smell bad, I tried my 500-watt power supply it made wierd electronic noises that were loud when I played VR on that guy he would not turn off so fast in games, and I have no idea what to do, the PSU starts to smell bad after a couple of minutes while playing VR and then after the smell is there it gets worse the longer I play after I turn off VR the smell starts to go away slowly, and I don't know if I trust this PSU, it's a "750" watt PSU, and I would like to know why it does that, also the smell is kind of a plastic/electric smell, but when I open the psu and check all the compontents are fine and none of them are broken or melted, all of the components are fine and im scared to use VR if it smells bad 馃槵 if anyone got any idea why it does that please let me know ASAP.

My Specs:

Strange indeed. Do you notice any smell during heavy (non vr) gaming when components are getting hot?

Just now, steelo said:

Strange indeed. Do you notice any smell during heavy (non vr) gaming when components are getting hot?

If i play anything like Rlcraft on my pc the PSU also smells bad, i really don't know what to do i am scared playing vr.

Hello, i am oneoddwolf, i try to help or if i have problems ask politely, welp now that you are looking at my comment/post:

Specs:

20 minutes ago, OneOddWolf said:

My Specs:

The psu isnt that good, it even isnt 80 plus rated. It weighs 1kg, while a decent 600w psu (Cooler Master Elite V3) weighs 1.7kg. That is one good indication of the quality. The one thing I will give that psu, is that you can easily see the weight of it, for the coolermaster psu I needed to check it in a info pdf on their site.聽

27 minutes ago, OneOddWolf said:

ACE A-750BR

This is the problem. It's a very bad PSU that can kill hardware. It's not a 750w PSU. It's a very bad 400w.

1 minute ago, Latvian Video said:

The psu isnt that good, it even isnt 80 plus rated. It weighs 1kg, while a decent 600w psu (Cooler Master Elite V3) weighs 1.7kg. That is one good indication of the quality. The one thing I will give that psu, is that you can easily see the weight of it, for the coolermaster psu I needed to check it in a info pdf on their site.聽

Yeah, however, why does it smell bad while playing when none of the compontents are getting hot?

1 minute ago, --SID-- said:

This is the problem. It's a very bad PSU that can kill hardware. It's not a 750w PSU. It's a very bad 400w.

Well thats funny, cause none of my hardware has blown up yet

Specs:

2 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

MAYBE a 400w one I am checking the specs of a 20eur 350w psu, the psu itself weighs 1.11kg, so I would expect the psu to be like 350w

1 minute ago, OneOddWolf said:

Pure luck, I would replace it asap, I would expect the smells being it starting to die, likely because it doesnt have any protection

6 minutes ago, OneOddWolf said:

none of my hardware has blown up yet

What you say, not yet. But you came here with an issue, right, and when people say what the cause of the issue is you're blowing it in the wind?

How did you connect the PSU to

37 minutes ago, OneOddWolf said:

EVGA GTX 780 SC W/ACX

The PSU has one 6 pin for the GPU while your card needs a 6 pin and a 8 (6+2) pin. You're using molex to PCI-e adapters?

2 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

What you say, not yet. But you came here with an issue, right, and when people say what the cause of the issue is you're blowing it in the wind?

listen, all i wanted to know is if i can keep playing vr. Im not tryna be rude

2 minutes ago, Latvian Video said:

Pure luck, I would replace it asap, I would expect the smells being it starting to die, likely because it doesnt have any protection

Replace it, with what? Not tryna be a rude person, but i aint got money for a new one, i mean IDK what to do.

Specs:

3 minutes ago, OneOddWolf said:

all i wanted to know is if i can keep playing vr

No. not if you want to keep the system alive.

4 minutes ago, OneOddWolf said:

but i aint got money for a new one

It's your choice. Or buying a new decent PSU and enjoy your system for a few years more or use it like it is with a chance the PSU blowing up tomorrow and kills the whole fckng system.

No. not if you want to keep the system alive.

It's your choice. Or buying a new decent PSU and enjoy your system for a few years more or use it like it is with a chance the PSU blowing up tomorrow and kills the whole fckng system.

I JUST NEEDED INFO NO NEED TO GET FKING MAD

Specs:

Calm down.

How did you resolve this?

14 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

The PSU has one 6 pin for the GPU while your card needs a 6 pin and a 8 (6+2) pin. You're using molex to PCI-e adapters?

Calm down.

How did you resolve this?

What i did was i had a adapter that uses sata power to one of the pcie and the one included-with the psu.

Specs:

And the sata connector is melting?

uhhh no its not?

Specs:

Sata is rated for 54w, PCI-e 8 pin for 150w. You know what I mean? You're using a very bad PSU with a very bad SATA to PCI-e adapter to power the GPU. That's double the risk of a fire hazard.

31 minutes ago, OneOddWolf said:

I JUST NEEDED INFO NO NEED TO GET FKING MAD

I believe the consensus is thst your PSU may be dangerous and you should replace it ASAP. VR really has nothing to do with anything, other than it draws more wattage and probably stresses your PSU more.

Personally, I'd save for a quality 600w psu and use proper connections.

3 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Sata is rated for 54w, PCI-e 8 pin for 150w. You know what I mean? You're using a very bad PSU with a very bad SATA to PCI-e adapter to power the GPU. That's double the risk of a fire hazard.

2 minutes ago, steelo said:

I believe the consensus is you PSU may be dangerous and you should replace it ASAP. VR really has nothing to do with anything, other than it draws more wattage and probably stresses your PSU more.

Specs:

9 minutes ago, OneOddWolf said:

VR games typically put pretty heavy loads on a gpu which, in turn draws a lot of wattage from the psu. I'm speculating as it's difficult to diagnose 'smells' over a forum, but I really do think your current psu and adapter is concerning.

10 minutes ago, steelo said:

alright. Well, i will have to be careful

Specs:

42 minutes ago, OneOddWolf said:

still does not explain why the smell goes away when i turn off vr

Decrease of load

1 hour ago, --SID-- said:

I use sata to pcie 6pin for my 970, it also has 1 6+2 pin from the psu, I am fine, because according to hwinfo, under high gpu load, it only drew 47w max from 1 of the connectors. But the 780 is way more power hungry, so that would explain why it might be failing

1 hour ago, OneOddWolf said:

They only blow up once.聽 Then they can't blow up again.

Seriously, that is one of the worse PSUs you could possibly use.