Headphone buying suggestion

Souranil21 chakraborty

Thinking about getting a new headphones so need a little suggestion. My budget is around 150$ and so far my choices has been 

1. Senheiser HD590

2.Audio technuca ath m50x

If anyone have used any one of these please share your experience 🙂

2 hours ago, Souranil21 chakraborty said:

These absolutely suck for music and gaming. Zero soundstage, bad sound signature etc. 

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

▼My PC specs & audio gear▼

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧▼Current Audio Setup▼🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

â–¼Other peripheralsâ–¼

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

7 hours ago, rrats said:

Try using what hi-fi or any other site made for audio people

DON'T TRUST THE RATINGS - YouTube

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

10 hours ago, Tigerleon said:

These absolutely suck for music and gaming. Zero soundstage, bad sound signature etc. 

i thought these were quite good for music and all over feel and usage style as a closed back headphones. admitedly i just watched some of the youtube reviews

1 hour ago, Souranil21 chakraborty said:

i thought these were quite good for music and all over feel and usage style as a closed back headphones. admitedly i just watched some of the youtube reviews

youtube reviews and personal experience are just not compareable. Be wary of all reviews honestly, unless that you know (through personal experience) that a reviewer has similar tastes as you. There's a lot of people that dont know what they're doing, there's some people that project false narritives, for one reason or the other.

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

15 hours ago, Souranil21 chakraborty said:

Thinking about getting a new headphones so need a little suggestion. My budget is around 150$ and so far my choices has been 

1. Senheiser HD590

If anyone have used any one of these please share your experience 🙂

These are quite different types of cans, the former is an open backed can, while the latter is a closed back can. The main advantage of open back cans is that they're more airy, probably with wider soundstage, and probably having less bass boost than a closed backed one. The ATH-M50X is a closed backed can, it has a narrower soundstage, mid-bass muddies the mids and being closed back, the earcups would most likely feel a tad warm amd sweaty. IF yoou need sound isolation (that is, you don't want to irritate someone nearby with leaking sound from your can, or, IF you don't want extraneous noise from leaking in while you're listening to music/or gaming, then a closed back can would be better.

Open back cans would be better suited for a relative quiet environment and/or if you're alone when sound leaks would not bother anyone, then open back cans would be the better option. Generally speaking, open back cans would be better for music, and perhaps gaming, because....well, audiophile grade cans tend to be open back as open back cans tend to give a better sound (this is of course quite subjective, a basshead would prefer a closed back can with heavy bass emphasis/boost). That's why you tend to see more expensive/higher end cans that are open back, not saying there aren't any high end closed back cans, just much fewer. 

As to which to choose, it's all up to you as personal preference plays a big part in headphone choice, it's quite personal so I'd suggest you try out these cans before deciding (IF that's at all possible). As for myself, I prefer open back cans with airier sound and sparkle, I do have a couple of closed back cans, mainly so I can still enjoy music/gaming at night.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS) | 2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

First of all, what do you seek in headphones? That's the most important of all. And then some of us can recommend some. You already mentioned your budget which is good. And from which sources? FPphones, PC, consoles, tv or anything else? And for gaming? Movies or just only music? Or all?

Some closedback headphones have airy sound, they sound much more open but unfortunately they are not cheap.

And don't use youtuber reviews as your source for purchasing headphones. The world of audio is extremely subjective. If you want still want to use youtuber reviewers, make sure to know the issues and cons. Don't take a reviewer that's 99% positive and 1% is negative just because....the high price.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

21 minutes ago, creesch said:

For your price point I'd also suggest either the Beyer Dynamic DT 770 PRO (80 ohm version can be driven by most things) or if you want a open back headphone the Beyer Dynamic TYHR 300 R

80 ohm is quite wonk, even te 250 ohm isn't the greatest. 9/10 you'd just want to go for akg k361, imo. Better performing, better tuning, easier to drive. 

1 hour ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

80 ohm is quite wonk, even te 250 ohm isn't the greatest. 9/10 you'd just want to go for akg k361, imo. Better performing, better tuning, easier to drive. 

What makes you say that? It is one of the more populair headphones at this price range and I quite like it myself. I haven't encountered any issues in driving it either on a variety of outputs. 

There aren't many subjects that benefit from binary takes on them in a discussion.

2 hours ago, creesch said:

What makes you say that? It is one of the more populair headphones at this price range and I quite like it myself. I haven't encountered any issues in driving it either on a variety of outputs. 

popular=/ good, EG. almost any gaming headphone/set to exist, ever. dt770 is a little shouty, with slightly boosted treble and bloated and boomy bass. The akg outresolves it, doesn't have those issues, and Is easier to drive. Practically no reason to go with the dt770, and especially the 80ohm which has even more wonky tuning. 

14 hours ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

youtube reviews and personal experience are just not compareable. Be wary of all reviews honestly, unless that you know (through personal experience) that a reviewer has similar tastes as you. There's a lot of people that dont know what they're doing, there's some people that project false narritives, for one reason or the other.

I agree, you have to find a reviewer with similar tastes to you and go with them.  I have 6 pair's of headphones (4 of them zeos reviewed another on the way) 5 amps (3 he reviewed) 1 power amp that he reviewed and 2 pairs of bookshelf speakers (1 he reviewed) not to mention pads.  Out of everything I have in common with him the only thing I disagree with is his taste in t50rp mk3 ear pads, while I did come around to enjoying them on some styles of music, in general I'm willing to bet there are better pads for them.  People try to say that he isn't technical enough but his descriptions are exactly as I would make them and at what point a chart or numbers would improve that review I'm unaware of.  I've compared my products to other reviewers like DMS and Josh Valour, both very reputable but find that I disagree with them far more often.

4 hours ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

I have a couple sessions of experience on the dt770-80 pro's that I bought for my blind friend and I loved the sound signature so much that I dove into dt880-600 pro and bought an emotiva A-100 power amp and did the mod to put all of the power to the headphone jack and that just takes it to a whole new level.  I should have a listen to them again though as it was pretty early on in my collection, but from memory they were a good listen.  Unfortunately everything else I've listened to is either planar or high impedance so it's difficult to recommend to someone running onboard.  I think the dt770-80 and philips X3 are the only easy to drive cans I've listened to, oh I have a pair of Blue Lola's but I never listen to them, they're the first pair I got in recent times.

44 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

popular=/ good, EG. almost any gaming headphone/set to exist, ever. dt770 is a little shouty, with slightly boosted treble and bloated and boomy bass. The akg outresolves it, doesn't have those issues, and Is easier to drive. Practically no reason to go with the dt770, and especially the 80ohm which has even more wonky tuning. 

Just because it has a V-shape sound signature doesn't make it a bad headphone, also a pad swap can do amazing thing's on the beyerdynamics

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 - *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

38 minutes ago, Psittac said:

Just because it has a V-shape sound signature doesn't make it a bad headphone, also a pad swap can do amazing thing's on the beyerdynamics

It isn't executed well, imo. I'm rather a fan of a well-executed V curve, the 770 80 ohm really just isn't it for me.