can i use an 8pin cpu adapter to 8pin pcie

Lia_owo

Hey, i heard that if you plug in a pcie cable directly to the gpu from the cpu on the psu youll short the thing, can i use an adapter like this though ?
image.thumb.png.ddf1025a4bc99080a4bf80f3d0e9eef8.png

The EPS12V 8-pin is keyed in such a way to prevent people from doing that. If you really forced it in there though yes it'd likely cause damage to the card if the PSU didn't immediately trip. The 12V & GND wires are reversed so you'd by trying to power the card using reverse polarity which isn't good.

An adapter like that will work but for high-end GPUs it's better to use a PSU with enough appropriate connectors to power it. This ensures you don't push the PSU or the cables beyond their rated spec.

10 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

The EPS12V 8-pin is keyed in such a way to prevent people from doing that. If you really forced it in there though yes it'd likely cause damage to the card if the PSU didn't immediately trip. The 12V & GND wires are reversed so you'd by trying to power the card using reverse polarity which isn't good.

An adapter like that will work but for high-end GPUs it's better to use a PSU with enough appropriate connectors to power it. This ensures you don't push the PSU or the cables beyond their rated spec.

i want it for mining, im already using all my pcie connecters
also its for a 3060ti using 75% tdp around 120watts ~ 130watts