This is NOT going Well… Linux Gaming Challenge Pt.2

James
11 hours ago, willies leg said:

Yeah, but the Android development environments are a lot less buggy on Linux. Windows is full of bugs that need 1GB+ downloads to fix 😉

I take that extra 1GB+ anyday if it makes my experience smoother and more stable 🤷🏻

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

On 12/3/2021 at 5:56 PM, Linux-Is-Best said:

I can use the terminal. I can do everything from upgrading my system, partitioning my drive, encrypting and decrypting, copying, moving, editing, deleting folders and files, etc. I can do that and more from the terminal, but I do not want to.

I gotta say this rather surprises me. This is not a super common sentiment among people who are fluent in Linux command line environments. If there are some specific things you prefer doing in a GUI for specific workflow reasons, you should definitely keep doing them in a GUI, but separately, are you interested in some tips for making your command line more pleasant?

In the past, I've heard similar sentiments from colleagues who regularly used the command line at work but didn't really like it. For them, at least, we found that making a few changes to their command line environment was a big quality of life improvement. Lmk if you wanna try some dead simple stuff to make using the terminal feel less tiring.

Also now I get why you like openSUSE so much! I don't think any other Linux distro has as complete or mature a set of GUI tools for systems administration tasks. (openSUSE is actually a favorite of mine, too, but for totally different reasons.)

16 hours ago, Kilrah said:

I couldn't count how many times users of a project I use have flashed a webpage to their device instead of the actual bin firmware file that was hosted on github - distribution method had to be changed to cater for that...

I have watched developers fuck this up in real time, on video calls. I was, uh, pretty irritated. It's user error, and I think it's a dumb mistake. But I've watched people who I know are smart and who should know better make it anyway. (I don't really think GitHub's design basic design here ought to change, though. We just need some tweaks in most browsers and maybe other mostly-invisible components to better alert users to what they're actually downloading.)

20 hours ago, adnega said:

it feels like Linux GUI stuff changes more frequently than Windows GUI stuff.

I think this is true, depending on your desktop environment. One nice thing about the Linux situation, though, is that if you want to you can choose to just use an old version for a while, and if the new UI changes are ill-received by the community, there will be a conservative fork that you can switch to that still behaves the old way.

20 hours ago, adnega said:

Windows CLI stuff doesn't change often either.

The DOS-based Windows CLI doesn't change often. But the DOS-based CLI also really, really sucks in pretty much every way.

The PowerShell CLI is better, but it's a mixed bag. The language itself is great, but it's extremely slow for a shell language, and that makes interactive use kinda shitty. And PowerShell commands are all super long, which makes quick/concise use require a lot of configuration and possibly further slowing the shell down (PSReadline is really slow). And as @Bramimondnoted, PowerShell Core actually changes very frequently for a shell language, often in a backwards-incompatible way.

I guess the Linux way is to keep bash as is and also have zsh and fish and maybe a bunch of others and the Windows way is, no, we gotta keep calling it PowerShell, but we change core features about it from version to version.

Same with Desktop Environments on Linux. There are a bunch of them on Linux, but they stay pretty much consistent and on Windows everything just changes between Windows "versions".

Of course, there are also people on Linux with that Windows mindset. KDE3 was the best thing since sliced bread and KDE4 was just a nightmare. One day I updated and had amarok2.0 which was nothing like amarok1.4 and also a terrible experience. So I went back to amarok1.4. Nobody could force me to use KDE4 or amarok2.0 - I just noped out of this nonsense. Same with the gimp "I'm sorry, I can't let you you do that" 2.8 release, so to this day I am staying with 2.6. But most of my image "editing" is done with ImageMagick through the CLI nowadays, anyway. It's just less hassle. 

On Linux you get a choice. On Windows you get Stockholm Syndrome.

10 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

I take that extra 1GB+ anyday if it makes my experience smoother and more stable 🤷🏻

Well it pretty much is everyday. What could be so broken? Oh right, the whole OS.

Time for a redesign, maybe swap out that old NT kernel designed by those old DEC guys for something more modern, like, let's say, Linux?

5 minutes ago, willies leg said:

Well it pretty much is everyday. What could be so broken? Oh right, the whole OS.

Time for a redesign, maybe swap out that old NT kernel designed by those old DEC guys for something more modern, like, let's say, Linux?

I was saying about Android Emulator on windows, not windows itself. 

Also no, it's not everyday and you can disable the update if you want it and manually install important security updates yourself if you need it.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 hour ago, xAcid9 said:

I was saying about Android Emulator on windows, not windows itself. 

Also no, it's not everyday and you can disable the update if you want it and manually install important security updates yourself if you need it.

https://www.crowdstrike.com/blog/patch-tuesday-analysis-first-half-2021/

Holy shamolie! Hope you've got fully unmetered internet, otherwise it's gonna cost a lot to download those gigabytes to get all those bugs patched! And don't worry, there's more every month!

On 12/4/2021 at 7:25 AM, BaidDSB said:

im not a "novice" but i dont understand github at all.

you chads overestimate linux's user friendliness and the casual market. it will never be an OS for the masses in 10 years

Github isn't actually that hard to use, but you need to be somewhat more patient... but I do agree on your second part, it will take a lot longer than that mostly due to people being all like, "I WANT IT! I WILL NOT WAIT! IT HAS TO WORK IMMEDIATELY!"

That is the mentality that will make linux adoption nearly impossible.

Well, mass adoption to be more precise and also the fact most corporations/governments dont want their citizens to be able to run it without blobs, which reduces stability and security...

I you want some privacy, use a linux distro...

If you want good privacy, use something with init freedom and a focus on freedom

If you want excellent privacy, use OpenBSD or something with a huge focus on security + init freedom + freedom as a whole

17 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

Stability is always an issue for windows, unexpected shutdowns due to forced updates, or malware attacks or them messing up stuff on updates and/or changing your settings without your knowledge, need I go on?

I don't just dislike windows, I don't see much benefit in it either.  

But you do have to relearn  certain things, so its all a matter of patience. very Long term, you will be grateful you made this choice usually to switch to linux, short term, you will be confused or in some cases unhappy, for a little bit. That is what happens most of the time imo. 

As long as you don't use a distro that requires you not need blobs, or is rolling release or testing grade stability, it should work.

Only problem is that if your computer requires blobs aka, proprietary firmware or drivers to get things like wifi, or other devices running.

Open source firmware is 10x more stable long term than proprietary firmware is, so that is a huge problem long term.

If you want good privacy, use something with init freedom and a focus on freedom

If you want excellent privacy, use OpenBSD or something with a huge focus on security + init freedom + freedom as a whole

On 12/4/2021 at 1:25 PM, BaidDSB said:

im not a "novice" but i dont understand github at all.

you chads overestimate linux's user friendliness and the casual market. it will never be an OS for the masses in 10 years

If you don't know git you should not understand github either. It's in the name. It's a website that hosts git repositories. If you don't know what a git repository is, you don't know github. Nothing to do with Linux (other than git having the same author lol). It's an industry standard for developers, so script kids use that

In fact git is probably one of the tools people misuse and will only learn if forced, but it's an essential and powerful tool that will save you years of work in the long term and is far superior to what it has replaced (svn can lick ma balls). Should be taught in schools lol. Version control is extra useful and people should stop renaming files final, final final, final final final now i mean it

On a tangentially related note, the Android SDK can fucking die in a fire on any OS

11 hours ago, skedarwarrior said:

Stability is always an issue for windows, unexpected shutdowns due to forced updates, or malware attacks or them messing up stuff on updates and/or changing your settings without your knowledge, need I go on?

You misunderstood, I was talking about Android emulator on Windows gave me more performance and stability compare to Linux which is slow and crashed a lot. 

1. You can force disable the force update. 

2. What settings? Example?

3. Install a good anti-virus?

11 hours ago, skedarwarrior said:

But you do have to relearn  certain things, so its all a matter of patience. very Long term, you will be grateful you made this choice usually to switch to linux, short term, you will be confused or in some cases unhappy, for a little bit. That is what happens most of the time imo. 

Switch? I've been using Linux since Feisty Fawn back in 07/08 though not all the time. 

17 hours ago, willies leg said:

https://www.crowdstrike.com/blog/patch-tuesday-analysis-first-half-2021/

Holy shamolie! Hope you've got fully unmetered internet, otherwise it's gonna cost a lot to download those gigabytes to get all those bugs patched! And don't worry, there's more every month!

Now you just being silly, iinm Linux have vulnerabilities/bugs just as much as Windows.

2 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

You misunderstood, I was talking about Android emulator on Windows gave me more performance and stability compare to Linux which is slow and crashed a lot. 

Switch? I've been using Linux since Feisty Fawn back in 07/08 though not all the time. 

Now you just being silly, iinm Linux have vulnerabilities/bugs just as much as Windows.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-were-cutting-download-sizes-with-smaller-x64-option-says-microsoft/

4.8GB download for bugs and features? What features? That's bigger than the whole desktop Linux OS with ell the options! Wow! I'd say that's like a "do over"

On 12/6/2021 at 5:53 AM, xAcid9 said:

True, linux does have vulnerabilities, especially if you have proprietary firmware or drivers on your system. 

But yeah, I did misunderstand, android on windows is an odd thing though to my mind.

Even if linux has as much malware as windows, which I am not certain it does, they have better layers of protection, less backdoors, so even if windows people all moved to linux, it would still be harder to infect it, as long as people don't use proprietary components.  

I didn't know you could force disable windows 10/11, I also didn't know there were good antivirus programs or that you used linux since 07/08.

heh, I switched after 8.1 came out, long story... but I have never looked back, apart from the rare dosbox-x or qemu xp image gaming... 😉

Been doing it less now though, a lot less.

Small edit though:

Sandboxing is far superior on linux also as well.

On 12/5/2021 at 12:02 AM, finest feck fips said:

are you interested in some tips for making your command line more pleasant?

Anything that does not involve my keyboard, sure. If my computer worked with voice commands, I would use that above my mouse. I want my home user experience to be simplistic and as effortless as possible. I like that I can use the terminal, and I still do. But after years (decades) of doing so, I just want it to be as effortless as possible. As I said, if the technology were widely adaptive, I would be using voice commands at this point.  When I get out of work, I just want things to work without making them work (the simplest way I can explain that). I like that I can and that knowledge still comes in handy, but I am all for automation where I can apply it.

Also now I get why you like openSUSE so much! I don't think any other Linux distro has as complete or mature a set of GUI tools for systems administration tasks. (openSUSE is actually a favorite of mine, too, but for totally different reasons.)

Yes, openSUSE is the gift that keeps on giving. I use it for home, work, and server usage. With the death of CentOS, we have been moving things over to SUSE Enterprise. It is perhaps the only time I can say the higher-ups actually listened to little old me. lol