This is NOT going Well… Linux Gaming Challenge Pt.2

James
5 minutes ago, comander said:

At some level it would "free" society from Microsoft/Windows. This would lower the cost of computing as the OS would be "free" - there'd be less advertising. There'd be less telemetry/privacy invasions. 

Those people that go for linux just for the ideology should try to improve it themselves or just accept it as it is. It's pretty similar to the idea of DIYing something instead of buying from a company, you either spend more money/time or accept what the company has.

6 minutes ago, comander said:

On a technical level, there's no reason why my parents shouldn't be able to use Ubuntu for 95% of what they do.

Yeah, and for those kind of people any OS should do, even android or ChromeOS, and they won't complain about it as long as they can browse facebook, but you also won't see them in this forum lol

8 minutes ago, comander said:

The issue is usually getting that "last 5%" for most people, or that last 5% being a bit hacky. 

And that's exactly the kind of person that opens up a thread complaining about linux. It doesn't do the job they need the way they want like it used to be in other OS and say it sucks due to that.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

17 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Linux as a windows replacement for the "average Joe gamer"

it probably never will be tbh. if it does it'll stop being useful to me. i love it's power user features and the way i can manipulate the entire OS with terminal. makes it super easy to automate stuff, just writing scripts. for it to be a true Windows replacement it would have to abandon that customisability which will never happen and if it does i'll stop using it. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, comander said:

I mean is there any good reason why Windows SHOULD be the dominant OS? At this point it looks like it's mostly vendor lock-in, not technical merit. 

Why SHOULDN'T it be? Technical merit usually doesn't bring you anywhere tho, but rather companies investing into marketing and catering for their user's needs.

MacOS or ChromeOS could take that spot and I couldn't care less, people should use what they're comfortable with.

4 minutes ago, comander said:

I've gotten my windows installs from MSDNAA for free but here and now I'm running Ubuntu without too many issues... I might install windows for a few games like CyberPunk which are a bit finicky but all the stuff I regularly use work well enough. Same goes for my workstation at work - it compiles code just fine. 

I have windows as a VM that I start up once every 2 or 3 months, Windows is pretty much useless for me on a daily basis 🤷‍♂️

But then again, my needs are somewhat specific and linux fits perfectly there, and I still wouldn't recommend it to most users.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
Lenovo N23 Yoga

9 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

And as a person who occationally thought about trying out Linux i can now say i agree with Linus and Luke. The main thing keeping me away from Linux is not Linux, but the people around it.

It's just funny how everything that goes wrong in Linux is just the user's fault. That's basically the TL;DR of these 2 threads. 

To be fair, this isn't a thread about someone asking for help. This is a thread were some people complain loudly about Linux. 

Go and ask a question on StackOverflow if you want to be told that it's all your fault. 

Go to some random forum about some Linux stuff and you will generally get somebody to spend their time on helping you troubleshoot your issue. Unless you misbehave, of course. I also recommend to go to IRC instead of to Discord. In my experience that is going to be more pleasent. 

It comes down again to there being no such thing as a LinuxCommunity™. But bothering a random Linux user with your problem will probably still be a better experience than ordering a computer over the phone from DELL. Or telling Windows Updates "no". 

1 hour ago, dilpickle said:

Its been 20 years now that I've been hearing about Linux *almost* being ready for normal people. Its never going to happen.

And I don't know why everyone feels they need to "challenge" themselves to use Linux. Use whatever works for you.

Oh please I don't recall anyone stating this about Linux at all. I used BeOS before I switched to Linux. Mandrake in late ~2001 or so. Now days most Linux Distro use Live Images you boot from and install. With a default DE. Not more taking an hour to choose which packages you want.

Just Boot, test hardware, install, and use. How come Microsoft doesn't do this?

2 hours ago, igormp said:

(the following "yous" are not specific to you as a person, but rather people jumping into that linux usability argument)

I want to address that "if" in there: in my personal opinion, as a daily linux user who uses it for both work and free time, I don't see why there should be more wide-scale adoption.

In its current status, most distroes still lack in usability or functions that people are used in other OSes, and such users aren't usually open to learning new ways of doing something, which requires someone to adapt/create those functions.

However, most devs aren't really focused on such end users, but rather their own needs, so that's why you often see stuff that's really targeted at the specific "programmer" audience rather than something that does good for your regular user.

True. GUIs have their place, Linux has its place. As much as I like it, it's still bad for every day use. Shout open source as much as you want, Tons of stuff still falls short. Many of the "alternatives" only work for basic tasks. When you start doing more complicated things like Photoshop, actually nice looking presentations etc. I still find myself falling back to Windows. And honestly, once we hit the point where Linux can do that we'll probably have another group complaining the essence of Linux has disappeared and it's now bloated.

34 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Just Boot, test hardware, install, and use. How come Microsoft doesn't do this?

Apart from the live boot they do? Boot install media, install and use. It'l ask to set up an account, but that's no different from an Apple having you create an Apple account on first boot or Android having you create a Google account on first boot.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

7 minutes ago, tikker said:

True. GUIs have their place, Linux has its place. As much as I like it, it's still bad for every day use.

I don't think the problem actually lies within linux, but rather what "everyday use" entrails.

A comparison that I can think of is someone migrating from Android to iOS (or vice-versa): they'll complain that some stuff gets done in a different way, but eventually can get around that. The same can be said for most people going from Windows do MacOS (or vice-versa), and they'll eventually settle, and I believe that happens because the companies behind those systems try to cater for those users needs and give them what they need to be comfortable.

However, that's not the case with linux: there's no big company (yet) that's trying to make you use the system, by making it more useable and whatnot. Instead, you need to do it yourself, rely on other devs or just deal with it.

Maybe with Valve and other laptop vendors will actually make it be good enough someday, but even then the amount of effort (and money!) spent trying to make it happen is far behind what we see with other systems.

Lenovo N23 Yoga

3 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

I'll read the article later. But back then I still have jump through some hoops to get some functionality that you could take for granted on Windows and MacOS.

I have to install stuff from the PLF in order to watch Videos and DVDs. This is due to my limited knowledge and VLC wasn't ready yet.

2 hours ago, Bramimond said:

To be fair, this isn't a thread about someone asking for help. This is a thread were some people complain loudly about Linux. 

Go and ask a question on StackOverflow if you want to be told that it's all your fault. 

Go to some random forum about some Linux stuff and you will generally get somebody to spend their time on helping you troubleshoot your issue. Unless you misbehave, of course. I also recommend to go to IRC instead of to Discord. In my experience that is going to be more pleasent. 

It comes down again to there being no such thing as a LinuxCommunity™. But bothering a random Linux user with your problem will probably still be a better experience than ordering a computer over the phone from DELL. Or telling Windows Updates "no". 

Or in my case, begging Windows to finally install those updates instead of trying at every startup and then rolling back

Getting real tired of these topics constantly popping up. We get it, you use Linux and think Linus is a big dummy. There’s already like 30 pages of people who think exactly like you missing the point in the official video threads. 

24 minutes ago, InstantNewt said:

Getting real tired of these topics constantly popping up. We get it, you use Linux and think Linus is a big dummy. There’s already like 30 pages of people who think exactly like you missing the point in the official video threads. 

Feel free to ignore the Threads since you don't like them...😀

10 hours ago, Bramimond said:

My first and only tech job was Dell Tech Support. Oh how I hated it. The ADHD brain struggles with trying to communicate with normal people lol.

So not even gonna lie, I've had a lot of similar problems Linus has had and I just totally nuked my Linux environment trying to enable freesync and I couldn't believe how impossible it was that nothing worked.  Trying the method from AMD's website only led to some weird font error and when I found multiple other posts talking about editing a .conf to add certain options to a file to enable VRR as well as a few others and save / reboot and freesync should work.  Multiple posts had similar instructions.

Well in nuked my desktop and brought me to a command login that I couldn't fix anything or barely found information on what to do / how to fix.  So naturally I reinstall the OS with the bootloader (trying to keep the data) and after that reinstalled it now brings me to a spinning logo that leads to a command line that doesn't let you do anything.

So yeah, it would be nice if freesync was just a toggle switch or something because I feel really stupid trying to use basic features that feel like they should be a simple button somewhere.  

I'm not sure why everyone has such an excitement to edit files manually.  Just give me a button to press.  Call me lazy or stupid but I don't think I should risk nuking my entire system just trying to turn on variable refresh.

16 hours ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

it probably never will be tbh. if it does it'll stop being useful to me. i love it's power user features and the way i can manipulate the entire OS with terminal. makes it super easy to automate stuff, just writing scripts. for it to be a true Windows replacement it would have to abandon that customisability which will never happen and if it does i'll stop using it. 

One does not exclude the other, an OS can be extremely powerful and customizable while still being easy to use for people that don't know a lot about computers and stuff. No one wants to take the customization options away from Linux, but it would be nice to have an easier experience for non-technies. That means adding options into the GUI, not removing options from the CLI.

As for the chicken-and-egg problem (not enough people use Linux, so not enough companies care about supporting Linux which leads to people not using Linux because their stuff isn't working). That's something that only the Linux community can solve. The average joe / gamer / computer user doesn't really care which OS they are using. It just has to work, period. They don't care about MS spying on them, Apple for locking them into their eco-system or Google for pretty much selling all their data.

If the Linux community at large (and I know that the community is very, very diverse and it's really problematic to address the huge amount of people working with Linux) wants to have better support from companies they first need a bigger userbase. Companies will only start to put money into Linux support if they get something out of it.

The only way to achieve this is to dramatically lower the entry barrier into Linux for the many, many use cases. And gaming is a huge long-term investment there because it's a good way to get new users (that aren't too locked into Windows already) to start using it. It's also something that might help to convert those family PCs over to Linux, again getting more people to use it.

But to demand that people learn Linux? That will not work. Many here often state 'Linux doesn't owe you anything' and that is of course right. However I as a user thinking about which OS to use also don't owe anything to Linux.

If I get option

a) Windows (which is practically free for many users) that appears to be a lot less hassle to set up and stuff just works and

b) Linux, which sounds like a cool thing down the line but means I will have to invest a lot of time into learning

Then for most people the answer will be option a. Folks do not have the time or know-how to get Linux up and running in the vast majority of the time. Plus it's much easier to find someone who can help with Windows than it is to find someone who can help with Linux. (In my 'bubble' I am the only one with know-how about Linux whereas there are plenty of people who can help you out with Windows)

Now if you are fine with Linux being what it is, then that is of course okay. No-one is saying Linux HAS to change, people are just saying that if you want everybody else to change (i.e. supporting the platform) then you might have to consider that Linux should also change at least somewhat.

3 minutes ago, XWAUForceflow said:

One does not exclude the other, an OS can be extremely powerful and customizable while still being easy to use for people that don't know a lot about computers and stuff. No one wants to take the customization options away from Linux, but it would be nice to have an easier experience for non-technies. That means adding options into the GUI, not removing options from the CLI.

As for the chicken-and-egg problem (not enough people use Linux, so not enough companies care about supporting Linux which leads to people not using Linux because their stuff isn't working). That's something that only the Linux community can solve. The average joe / gamer / computer user doesn't really care which OS they are using. It just has to work, period. They don't care about MS spying on them, Apple for locking them into their eco-system or Google for pretty much selling all their data.

If the Linux community at large (and I know that the community is very, very diverse and it's really problematic to address the huge amount of people working with Linux) wants to have better support from companies they first need a bigger userbase. Companies will only start to put money into Linux support if they get something out of it.

The only way to achieve this is to dramatically lower the entry barrier into Linux for the many, many use cases. And gaming is a huge long-term investment there because it's a good way to get new users (that aren't too locked into Windows already) to start using it. It's also something that might help to convert those family PCs over to Linux, again getting more people to use it.

But to demand that people learn Linux? That will not work. Many here often state 'Linux doesn't owe you anything' and that is of course right. However I as a user thinking about which OS to use also don't owe anything to Linux.

If I get option

a) Windows (which is practically free for many users) that appears to be a lot less hassle to set up and stuff just works and

b) Linux, which sounds like a cool thing down the line but means I will have to invest a lot of time into learning

Then for most people the answer will be option a. Folks do not have the time or know-how to get Linux up and running in the vast majority of the time. Plus it's much easier to find someone who can help with Windows than it is to find someone who can help with Linux. (In my 'bubble' I am the only one with know-how about Linux whereas there are plenty of people who can help you out with Windows)

Now if you are fine with Linux being what it is, then that is of course okay. No-one is saying Linux HAS to change, people are just saying that if you want everybody else to change (i.e. supporting the platform) then you might have to consider that Linux should also change at least somewhat.

Non-techies have zero issues with stuff like Ubuntu. The problems start when you need that geek stuff most people have never even heard of.

On 11/23/2021 at 9:25 PM, Dutch_Master said:

Oh, Linux has arrived. Big time. In the server world: it's quite dominant there. Even M$ is running their Azure cloud on Linux. Because their own OS can't handle it.

Its no wonder people use linux for servers when you can save alot of performance and still get good quality distro's constantly being updated.

I'm probably gonna remove windows 10 pro on my test server and switch to Ubuntu, been a while since i used Linux but it doesnt sound too hard and youtube guides seems to be plenty, so many likes on them with no dislikes is a suprise.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

52 minutes ago, XWAUForceflow said:

the only problem is that foss devs don't know how to make a good gui. desktop linux has been a thing now since what, the early 90's and even now half of the things are only accessible with the terminal. 

in fact, macOS is that balance for now, most of the gui you can also do in commandline if you know how. 

She/Her

52 minutes ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

the only problem is that foss devs don't know how to make a good gui. desktop linux has been a thing now since what, the early 90's and even now half of the things are only accessible with the terminal. 

in fact, macOS is that balance for now, most of the gui you can also do in commandline if you know how. 

And that's why I think that this series can have a very positive effect on Linux as a whole. Because it shines some light on the issues that users can have. And it sounds like there are cases where developers have already made changes or are at least looking into changes to improve the experience.

Yes, intuitive GUI development is very, very hard. And there's a reason why big companies spend a huge amount of money on this, but it would help if folks would be less defensive and more open about this. As a new user, what would encourage you to stay with the OS more if you ran into a problem:

Answer a) Yes, we know this is not optimal and we want to get better but we don't have the resources or know-how to fix this. But thanks for the input, this does help and we'll try to make it better if we can.

Answer b) Well, you know if you would've read the (insert man page, documentation, forum post, reddit thread, git-hub page) you would have know that what you did was wrong and should have been done differently. Please don't waste our limited dev time with useless queries like this.

I know what would encourage me.

1 hour ago, XWAUForceflow said:

And that's why I think that this series can have a very positive effect on Linux as a whole. Because it shines some light on the issues that users can have. And it sounds like there are cases where developers have already made changes or are at least looking into changes to improve the experience.

I think so as well. However that does beg the question, "what have they been waiting for?"

23 hours ago, Rex Hite said:

I think so as well. However that does beg the question, "what have they been waiting for?"

What you mean by that? Waiting for what?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

5 hours ago, XWAUForceflow said:

If the Linux community at large (and I know that the community is very, very diverse and it's really problematic to address the huge amount of people working with Linux) wants to have better support from companies they first need a bigger userbase.

I guess it needs repeating: there is no such thing as a LinuxCommunity™. Just like atheism isn't a religion. 

And I for one would already be grateful if companies didn't go out of their way to make the Linux experience more difficult. 

Like this whole UEFI/secure boot or what it was called again. The hoops you have to jump through to get Linux installed on some random laptop that was intentionally locked down are amazing. 

As a Linux user, I don't really care about the market share or hardware support. If it doesn't work for Linux, they aren't going to get my money. Simple as that. The Moonlander keyboard by ZSA supports Linux, so I got one. If developers don't compile their games for Linux, I'm not paying them money for their game. Remember the Nintendo leak and how getting a native Linux version of Mario 64 basically only involved compiling it once for Linux? I'm fairly certain that creating a Linux version of any given game isn't much effort for the developers. If the devs do not want to bother to do that much, I won't bother to pay them. 

9 minutes ago, Bramimond said:

I guess it needs repeating: there is no such thing as a LinuxCommunity™. Just like atheism isn't a religion. 

And I for one would already be grateful if companies didn't go out of their way to make the Linux experience more difficult. 

Like this whole UEFI/secure boot or what it was called again. The hoops you have to jump through to get Linux installed on some random laptop that was intentionally locked down are amazing. 

As a Linux user, I don't really care about the market share or hardware support. If it doesn't work for Linux, they aren't going to get my money. Simple as that. The Moonlander keyboard by ZSA supports Linux, so I got one. If developers don't compile their games for Linux, I'm not paying them money for their game. Remember the Nintendo leak and how getting a native Linux version of Mario 64 basically only involved compiling it once for Linux? I'm fairly certain that creating a Linux version of any given game isn't much effort for the developers. If the devs do not want to bother to do that much, I won't bother to pay them. 

For Linux isn't there a simple issue that outside of the fact that QA is already one of the parts of game development that is given the least amount of time. The fact that there are a bunch of branches of Linux means that for example even if a dev makes a game that works on Windows and MacOS(some games are only set up for Windows still), that they would want to avoid saying that their games work on Linux since they only tested a version of Ubuntu that one of the testers had.

49 minutes ago, Ultraforce said:

they would want to avoid saying that their games work on Linux since they only tested a version of Ubuntu that one of the testers had.

It didn't stop the devs of Cyberpunk to release their game on consoles that it wasn't even working on, so I'm not sure if that is really a factor. 

Then there are things were Linux versions were announced through Kickstarter and people paid for it with the devs dropping Linux support at the last minute, like that Castlevania guy making his own game. 

Maybe it's Microsoft sabotaging Linux again. They have a long history of doing that.  Here's another story on the topic.

13 hours ago, tenfootgiant said:

I found multiple other posts talking about editing a .conf to add certain options to a file to enable VRR as well as a few others and save / reboot and freesync should work.  Multiple posts had similar instructions.

Well in nuked my desktop and brought me to a command login that I couldn't fix anything or barely found information on what to do / how to fix.

Sounds like the resources you found didn't really prepare you for what editing the display server configuration entails. 😞

That's the config file for the program that powers your whole GUI, and if it's invalid or otherwise incorrect, your GUI won't start.

For next time:

• practice all your Xorg configuration from the terminal, because that's how you'll have to do it again to fix it if you screw up
  • back up any xorg.conf files before you edit them (convention is to copy them to a file like xorg.conf.bak or xorg.conf.orig in the same directory)
  • make sure you have an editor you are comfortable using from the terminal installed (micro is the only choice I know of that uses Windows-like keyboard shortcuts OOTB. nano is ‘easy’ but it's fucking annoying)
  • nowadays xorg.conf is (blessedly) optional. in case of emergency, delete it (i.e., `mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bad`)

So naturally I reinstall the OS with the bootloader (trying to keep the data) and after that reinstalled it now brings me to a spinning logo that leads to a command line that doesn't let you do anything.

This is probably the display server still just failing to load, but it's not super clear from your description.

Typically, there is no login prompt on the virtual terminal that runs your display server, so if your display server fails to start, you may either just see a blank screen, or a blinking cursor, but no login prompt. If that's the case, you can switch to another virtual terminal and log in. Typically at least some VTs 1-7 are enabled, and you can switch to the VT for a given number using the corresponding F key, e.g., CTRL+ALT+F2.

If you want to start a support thread in the non-Windows subforum, feel free to tag me.

I'm not sure why everyone has such an excitement to edit files manually.

😂

Trust me, nobody likes editing xorg.conf files. Nobody liked editing them 10 years ago, either. Thankfully, you don't need them for basic computer usage or just using your monitor's native resolution anymore. But for some ‘advanced’ functionality like variable refresh rate, you sometimes still need to tweak your Xorg settings manually and it still sucks. But it ain't just you; everybody hates it.