This is NOT going Well… Linux Gaming Challenge Pt.2

James

Did linus switch distros again?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Ya all this series is doing is pushing me away from linux more. i certainly dont have the energy to deal with its daily BS and i might stop using computers altogether if i have to daily drive it today with a gun on my head.

Linux chads, stop hyping beta products and come back when its causal consumer ready.

just to address this as linus mentioned it, Canary discord, aka Discord Canary, is kinda like Chrome canary. it's the beta version where they test features. it's not just a linux thing, you can use it on any platform discord supports. 

She/Her

23 minutes ago, BaidDSB said:

Ya all this series is doing is pushing me away from linux more. i certainly dont have the energy to deal with its daily BS and i might stop using computers altogether if i have to daily drive it today with a gun on my head.

Linux chads, stop hyping beta products and come back when its causal consumer ready.

The main issue with linux is the same issue with windows mobile

If consumers dont use it, then it wont be developed, so then consumers wont use it. You need to get people it before it is adopted

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

38 minutes ago, BaidDSB said:

the thing is though it's not a beta product. Linux can be very powerful if you know how to use it, and suits some people's needs MUCH better than Windows. for me, i got into it because i wanted to try it (when i was like 12, i heard about it and was like oh i'm trying it) and immediately fell in love with it. it doesn't do anything behind your back and you are in full control at all times, which i love. it doesn't install candy crush on it's own, doesn't update on it's own when i don't want it to, i have total control. 

the thing is though, you have to know how to use it in order to fully take advantage of it. Windows is the same, but people just overlook the fact that if you use Windows all your life things that are idiotic feel normal. 

like, if i have to set up a new machine, i pop in a usb with a custom manjaro iso that i made on it, that automatically runs a script after install that applies all my settings and installs all my apps for me. i can't do that on Windows. i'm sure there is a way, but i don't know it. 

to me, a fulltime Linux/Mac user, Windows is the OS that feels weird. if i'm using Windows and encounter a problem, i have to google it. on Linux, i probably know the command from memory. 

see my point? if you are used to something it becomes your normal. if i have to completely delete the nvidia driver for example because it messed up, on linux i run 1 command i have typed dozens of times now and know from memory. on Windows, i have to look up a guide. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

The main issue with linux is the same issue with windows mobile

If consumers dont use it, then it wont be developed, so then consumers wont use it. You need to get people it before it is adopted

im not going to waste my time because my time has value. i cant deal with the linux crap after i come home from a heavy day at work, wanting to game.

Maybe it just shows open source is not the way to go. unless people are paid, they wont be arsed to develop things and you can only go so far with volunteer nerds.

... well the best OS can't save you if the software you use is buggy/not supported/not existent

The github .sh "problem" is still hilarious 🤣

If you click on the link "file.sh" you go to a page with informations and the file content displayed - so why should *right-click-download* download the file? Of course it downloads what it links to.

But why? That's why:

https://github.com/GoXLR-on-Linux/goxlr-on-linux/commit/45fbb38c2b18e2c0f9f99ce4d47ecfebcb7d562a#diff-b335630551682c19a781afebcf4d07bf978fb1f8ac04c6bf87428ed5106870f5

😂

1 minute ago, BaidDSB said:

im not going to waste my time because my time has value. i cant deal with the linux crap after i come home from a heavy day at work, wanting to game.

i had that exact thing but with Windows 🤣

i had constant issues like it forcing updates when i got home from school (i had a shitty pc at that time, having windows update running in background nuked my fps), etc etc. i keep saying this, if you know how to use it, linux is fine. but as with anything, you have to invest some time into learning the OS first. 

like, for example right, if i had to reinstall a windows system i'd have to get all my settings the way i like them again, install all my crap through a browser and a bunch of installers.. takes me hours to do. for Linux, i have a custom iso file that runs a script after install that adjusts my settings and installs all my crap for me. takes like 10 minutes to set up a linux install that way. 

She/Her

2 minutes ago, Gimmick21 said:

... well the best OS can't save you if the software you use is buggy/not supported/not existent

the thing is that all the examples linus gave like your pheriphirals and stuff, totally depends on what you have. for Corsair, there is a tool called ckb-next. has all the controls regular icue has, just an interface that is less pretty. there are similar tools for other brands. for Logitech like Linus has, if he had just googled it he'd found this: https://www.linuxuprising.com/2020/11/configure-logitech-steelseries-and.html exactly what he wanted. dpi control etc for his mouse. 

ckb-next, while not pretty, has everything for corsair products, from dpi control to full RGB control for all your crap including the ability to make custom profiles: 

image.thumb.png.dd87e197cecce6a9b7bb428553a41f02.png

She/Her

So here's my best explanation.

There are usually up to three different "up-to-date" applications when using open source software. There's the official release, with the most QA put into it, the Beta, with less QA but more recent, then the Nightly or Canary builds which are the most recent and least tested of the three. Although all three are usually released officially by the developers.

I currently run the Nightly builds of Dolphin emulator, PPSSPP, and Retroarch on my Android Phone. So far, I haven't noticed any serious issues, however the devs of the software encourage users to report any issues they run into, to help improve the application.

Another part of the Linux Experience I dislike are the tutorials. Almost every issue that you run into ultimately pulls up a tutorial that sends you to the command line. If you're on Windows or Mac, you almost never have to use the Text-based system. More Linix tutorials need to be made focusing on the use of GUI.

9 minutes ago, BaidDSB said:

im not going to waste my time because my time has value. i cant deal with the linux crap after i come home from a heavy day at work, wanting to game

Linux gives you the freedom to NOT use it. Which contrasts nicely to what both M$ and Apple are trying to achieve: dominance if not outright monopoly over users PC's. :old-eyeroll:

You have a completely negative attitude towards something that's clearly not for you. Then don't bother with it and get on with your life on Win-OS. Which you had to learn to use too, at some point. Which didn't allow you to game straight after getting home 'cuz it was updating itself, or the game didn't launch, or BSOD'd, or whatever other reason you forgot now but was very annoying at the time.

Just don't be "that guy"*

*or gal, or whatever you want to feel comfortable with 😛

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

I pretty much agree with eveything you guys went over in this video, except for one thing. Come on, you can't blame Manjaro for not letting you use `apt` and/or not telling you about `pacman`. For one there IS a GUI (pamac) - I believe when you first install Manjaro there is a link on the welcome page directly to it; you can always search "software" or "install" any time you want in the launcher; and if that fails you (which it won't), a simple Google "how to install applications on Manjaro" will do.

Finally the notion that "apt is the industry standard" is simply false. It's the standard for Debian and its derivatives, which granted, has 70% market share but is FAR from universal. It's akin to a Windows user first using a Mac, and going "Uh where is Edge? Isn't that the industry standard? And how am I supposed to know I should be using Safari?" Like... no your assumption was simply factually incorrect I'm sorry. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But again apart from that I could very much resonate with everything you said. Linux software for desktop are buggy and lack feature in general, mostly because the OS' low market share on the desktop. It's pretty much a miracle that it works as well as it does.

Regarding file extensions, the issue seems to be (ironically) Dolphin determining what actions are available via said file extensions. If it ends in txt it's treated as a text file, period, even if it's set as executable. On Nemo I get a prompt asking whether I want to display or execute a file even if it ends in txt.

2 minutes ago, Scheimong said:

I pretty much agree with eveything you guys went over in this video, except for one thing. Come on, you can't blame Manjaro for not letting you use `apt` and/or not telling you about `pacman`.

I don't know what output Linus got in his terminal, but from what he was saying it sounded like it spit out a bunch of text and then threw up an error which led him to incorrectly diagnose what the problem was.

28 minutes ago, BaidDSB said:

im not going to waste my time because my time has value

If NotAlwaysRight has taught me anything, only entitled people who are lying about what their job is says that.

3 minutes ago, Olgyd said:

I don't know what output Linus got in his terminal, but from what he was saying it sounded like it spit out a bunch of text and then threw up an error which led him to incorrectly diagnose what the problem was.

If it's a clean install then the only thing his terminal would spit out is `apt: command not found` if you try to use `apt`. So if Linus' terminal spit out anything else then I'm not sure what he did.

I think Linus himself put it best - he knew just enough to be dangerous to himself.

25 minutes ago, BaidDSB said:

Maybe it just shows open source is not the way to go. unless people are paid, they wont be arsed to develop things and you can only go so far with volunteer nerds.

He literally mentioned Windows Mobile(I assume they also meant Windows Phone), which Microsoft invested a lot of money to develop things for, but still failed pretty hard due to lack of support from third party developers.

39 minutes ago, BaidDSB said:

and people wont be paied to unless people use it

Its a self perpetuating cycle, its why the same oses have been used for decades.

MacOS got picked up, windows got picked up. SInce the same programs have worked on windows and macos for ages and the most peopel use them, so only them get developed for. 

Thats why iOS is still used, it was used on a first of its kind os, and kept gettingupdated, so its still used today.

Android, the same thing.

Linux has its toe in the door, its getting more support, but its not there yet.

Some things get part way there: See windows phone

It got its foot in the door, but it got too costly for microsoft to support and the money wasnt there for them, it got its last update in Jan 2020, its offically dead, though it still has windows store support (somehow).

If something gets enough users, people will be payed to make software, then more users will use it since they can. then then more software is made, leading to more users, etc, etc, etc.
Once you hit critical mass, the os should grow in a exponential fassion

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler