How many PCIe slots do you really need?

Halo Infinite and Battlefield 2042 are here, and after several years of faithful service, the i7-4770 and 1050Ti in my office-PC-turned-gaming-PC is starting to show its age pretty badly. I'm finally going to build myself a new up-to-date gaming PC, but I'm having some trouble choosing a motherboard.
I live in a hot climate, so even ignoring the minor performance differences, I've decided I'm definitely going AMD over Intel for thermal reasons alone.
Thing is, I also have a pretty small living space and desk space (my desk is only 19" deep) so I'm trying to keep my build small, avoiding full-size ATX motherboards and only looking at micro-ATX, mini-DTX, and mini-ITX boards. The practical differences between X570 and B550 are a whole other rabbit hole (if anyone has thoughts on whether X570 is worth it or not, I'd love to hear it!) but the main difference between the form factors other than physical size is that micro-ATX seems to be the only one of the three sizes to offer any boards with more than a single PCIe slot, x16 or otherwise. Something about that is extremely off-putting to me. I use two PCIe slots on my current PC, but then again, that's only because it's an old office PC that doesn't have built-in WiFi like every decent gaming motherboard now does. I can't think of anything I would need a second slot for on a modern full-featured board, but I would much rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

So this is equal parts opinion poll and survey:
How many PCIe slots do you use on your gaming rig?
Is only having one slot a severe restriction, even on a high-end motherboard with built-in networking and NVMe slots?

And, as a bonus question if you feel like answering, because it's another thing I've been struggling with, is X570 worth choosing over B550 for a smaller build?

1 minute ago, Shmael1053 said:

How many PCIe slots do you use on your gaming rig?

1. most people needing 2nd nowadays not to have wifi, but to add more USB ports or a faster NICs as 2.5 gigabit NICs falls in price. X570 and certain B550 motherboards have wifi 6 and Bluetooth 5 built in, in accordance to the chipset standard.

3 minutes ago, Shmael1053 said:

Is only having one slot a severe restriction, even on a high-end motherboard with built-in networking and NVMe slots?

Again, not really. Most USB hubs and dongles solves the issue of IO without hitch, so 2nd one really falls off favor even in mATX motherboard.

5 minutes ago, Shmael1053 said:

is X570 worth choosing over B550 for a smaller build?

Depends on what you need on feature sets. As i say before, X570 boards usually always include a wifi 6 and bluetooth 5 chip, but besides that its hard to justify them.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Generally useful for

wifi cards

video capture cards

sound cards

m.2 slot cards

usb port cards

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Choosing AMD over Intel because of "thermals" makes no sense; they both use the same amount of power under load, and are generally around the same temp. This isn't true in stress tests necessarily, but gaming doesn't reach those kinds of temperatures.

You can include polls in your post when you're writing it. There's a tab at the top in the creation mode.

I wouldn't get an X570 board simply because of the small fan on it. Don't need the additional point of failure, which was quite high when small fans like that have been used in the past. As others have pointed out, there are tons of uses for the extra slots, but most can be avoided by simply purchasing the proper motherboard (enough USB ports, on board WiFi, enough m.2 spots, etc). It's worth noting that most of these things can also be done over USB.

I currently have an mATX board, but am building an ITX system. I'm not really that worried about losing the extra slot, as it's only going to be used for a year and a bit, and then I'll upgrade to a 12th gen Intel mATX/ATX system in a very compact case so that I have space for a sound card.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I've been using mITX for almost 10 years & love it. The space savings is great. 

Was on Intel Z97 chipset before moving to Ryzen B450.  

Think my current board has 6 USB 3 ports in back, 2 up front. 

Audio is 5.1 capable, but I prefer good stereo headphones anyway. I haven't liked any soundcards since Creative gave Aureal the shaft & stagnated the audio market. 

Wi-Fi is a damn nice feature to have as backup and 1Gbps Ethernet is still more than enough, considering how sparse Gigabit internet still is for the masses.