PSU selection

I recently had to return a Phanteks Revolt X 1000w after some back and forth argument with the seller. Seller later contacted me that he just learned that the unit apparently splits the power between system 1 and 2, ie 500w to each system which would make sense on why my 3080Ti tripped the PSU and I did not know about it until today. Supposedly he contacted phanteks about it. Can someone here also confirm this? Though I don't see why Phanteks would like about their own product and would make complete sense why my 3080Ti just instantly trips it at 600+

38 minutes ago, BlazeWingbreaker said:

the unit apparently splits the power between system 1 and 2

Not how it works. The PSU has no way of knowing which system draws power on GPU sockets, only motherboard 24-pin sockets are doubled, but even then i highly doubt they track the power draw on them separately, it's a single-rail PSU.

The actual reason it trips is because it's based on Seasonic Prime platform, it's a known issue. 1kW is kinda on the verge of 'would or wouldn't work' but apparently in your case it doesn't. If you still have the unit on hand you can try to disconnect the 12V V-sense pin from the PSU-side of 24-pin motherboard cable, that might help. Look at 24-pin motherboard connector pinout, one of the 12V pins should have two wires going in it, one of them would be thinner, track that wire back to PSU side and pull it out of the connector. The reason that helps is that apparently, as @jonnyGURUthinks, Seasonic Prime (and probably Focus too, at least older revisions) has flaw in the supervisor circuit, so if the GPU feeds back too much noise through the 12V V-sense wire, that noise inadvertently shuts down the supervisor, and therefore the whole PSU.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

2 hours ago, Juular said:

Not how it works. The PSU has no way of knowing which system draws power on GPU sockets, only motherboard 24-pin sockets are doubled, but even then i highly doubt they track the power draw on them separately, it's a single-rail PSU.

The actual reason it trips is because it's based on Seasonic Prime platform, it's a known issue. 1kW is kinda on the verge of 'would or wouldn't work' but apparently in your case it doesn't. If you still have the unit on hand you can try to disconnect the 12V V-sense pin from the PSU-side of 24-pin motherboard cable, that might help. Look at 24-pin motherboard connector pinout, one of the 12V pins should have two wires going in it, one of them would be thinner, track that wire back to PSU side and pull it out of the connector. The reason that helps is that apparently, as @jonnyGURUthinks, Seasonic Prime (and probably Focus too, at least older revisions) has flaw in the supervisor circuit, so if the GPU feeds back too much noise through the 12V V-sense wire, that noise inadvertently shuts down the supervisor, and therefore the whole PSU.

well thankfully i no longer have it and i'm getting my money back

I currently have a 1300w prime gold that recently has been getting inconsistent result. One day it would trip at 200w from gpu and other day i can run 700w from gpu without an issue. Is this indicative of a degradation somewhere at the protection circuit?

36 minutes ago, BlazeWingbreaker said:

Is this indicative of a degradation somewhere at the protection circuit?

Not degradation, design flaw, as new units exhibit it too. You can try the fix on this PSU too. But come to think of it, i have to ask, do you use cable extensions ?

27 minutes ago, Juular said:

Not degradation, design flaw, as new units exhibit it too. You can try the fix on this PSU too. But come to think of it, i have to ask, do you use cable extensions ?

not at the moment. Funnily enough I had a 6900XT and it was pulling around 4-500ish with unlocked power limit. Hell when I got the previous 3080Ti(EVGA FTW3, i'm on Strix LC now) it wasn't tripping for the first couple of weeks and all of them were with extensions. Then one day it started randomly tripping. The trip was random too(as mentioned)

Is the ripple suppression on the Seasonic Prime Gold(1300w) good enough that doing away with inline capacitors on the PCI-E cablees are fine? I'm thinking of getting replacement sleeved cables(since using an extension is very sketchy when you're pulling 700w to the gpu)

6 minutes ago, BlazeWingbreaker said:

Is the ripple suppression on the Seasonic Prime Gold(1300w) good enough that doing away with inline capacitors on the PCI-E cablees are fine? I'm thinking of getting replacement sleeved cables(since using an extension is very sketchy when you're pulling 700w to the gpu)

Regardless of the ripple suppression without them, they're barely doing anything anyway.

6 hours ago, Juular said:

Regardless of the ripple suppression without them, they're barely doing anything anyway.

Does this mean that inline caps are useless or is there a use case scenario where they will help?

1 hour ago, BlazeWingbreaker said:

Does this mean that inline caps are useless or is there a use case scenario where they will help?

not useless per say, they do filter out some of the ripple... it's just that we're talking millivolts, the majority is done internally

6 hours ago, IIIIIIIIII said:

Yes.

4 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

not useless per say, they do filter out some of the ripple... it's just that we're talking millivolts, the majority is done internally

Duly noted, thanks for the answer folks. Guess I’ll go ahead and order the sleeved replacement soon