AMD Radeon Software Not Opening Even After Reinstall

AdvocateOfNyx
Go to solution Solved by AdvocateOfNyx,
On 11/17/2021 at 6:22 PM, AdvocateOfNyx said:

My Radeon Software is completely messed up and I have no idea how to fix it.  For months now, it has not opened and I don't understand why.  When Forza Horizon 5 came out and it asked me to update my drivers, I got pretty sick of it.  Yes, I can download the drivers off their website, but the software that is supposed to let me know to install them did not work and this would happen on almost every new game release.  I decided to download the new drivers off their website, but this time check the box that asked to factory reset them.  My computer restarted after the "uninstall" portion of the process, except it actually did not restart.  It would not even post.  My solution ended up being to remove my GPU (after the initial reboot I started getting a graphics error beep code), boot using integrated graphics, remove the drivers and software completely with all settings, then reinstall the card and install the AMD drivers.  After doing this, it worked for about a day until it went back to being completely unable to open again.

When I click on "AMD Radeon Software" anywhere on my computer, I get the "loading" blue circle by my mouse cursor for a second, then it disappears and nothing happens.  I can't find it in task manager, I can't see in on the system tray, nothing.  I've tried to do my own troubleshooting but everyone seems to suggest removing and redownloading the software which was unsuccessful for me.  If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it.

I decided to say screw it and reinstalled windows even though I didn't want to and it just works now.  I got nothing else, that's all I did.  I did this before and the problem eventually came back so I guess if it comes back up again I'll try to find a more permanent solution but at that point it may just be Linux time.

My Radeon Software is completely messed up and I have no idea how to fix it.  For months now, it has not opened and I don't understand why.  When Forza Horizon 5 came out and it asked me to update my drivers, I got pretty sick of it.  Yes, I can download the drivers off their website, but the software that is supposed to let me know to install them did not work and this would happen on almost every new game release.  I decided to download the new drivers off their website, but this time check the box that asked to factory reset them.  My computer restarted after the "uninstall" portion of the process, except it actually did not restart.  It would not even post.  My solution ended up being to remove my GPU (after the initial reboot I started getting a graphics error beep code), boot using integrated graphics, remove the drivers and software completely with all settings, then reinstall the card and install the AMD drivers.  After doing this, it worked for about a day until it went back to being completely unable to open again.

When I click on "AMD Radeon Software" anywhere on my computer, I get the "loading" blue circle by my mouse cursor for a second, then it disappears and nothing happens.  I can't find it in task manager, I can't see in on the system tray, nothing.  I've tried to do my own troubleshooting but everyone seems to suggest removing and redownloading the software which was unsuccessful for me.  If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it.

-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-

4 minutes ago, AdvocateOfNyx said:

Try uninstalling the driver with DDU,and then install the driver:

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

2 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Try uninstalling the driver with DDU,and then install the driver:

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

I've heard of this before and am totally down to give me a shot, but do you have any idea why my GPU causes my PC to not post when I uninstall the drivers?  I don't really have the time to tear my computer apart right this second and I rely on it for school, so if something happens that takes it out of commission even temporarily it's a big pain.  If I could avoid having to mess with the hardware right now, that would be awesome.

-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-

5 minutes ago, AdvocateOfNyx said:

but do you have any idea why my GPU causes my PC to not post when I uninstall the drivers?

Since there are a lot of variables at play a lot of things could have caused that.

First let's see what happens after DDU

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

39 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Since there are a lot of variables at play a lot of things could have caused that.

First let's see what happens after DDU

I uninstalled with DDU, reinstalled, and it did not open at all.  Even when the installer finished and the box was checked that said "Open Radeon Software" it just gave me the blue circle and did not open.

Have you tried installing the drivers through Device Manager?

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 minute ago, CommanderAlex said:

Have you tried installing the drivers through Device Manager?

No I have not.  Although I will say the issue doesn't seem to be with the drivers themselves, but with the packaged software.  It may be the case that AMD ties their drivers and software together completely, but as far as I understand you can install just the drivers without the bundled software.  I think the drivers are fine, it's just the software that's having issues. 

If I install the drivers through device manager, will it be the version without the software?  Then I can install the software manually and separately from the drivers?

Just now, AdvocateOfNyx said:

No I have not.  Although I will say the issue doesn't seem to be with the drivers themselves, but with the packaged software.  It may be the case that AMD ties their drivers and software together completely, but as far as I understand you can install just the drivers without the bundled software.  I think the drivers are fine, it's just the software that's having issues. 

If I install the drivers through device manager, will it be the version without the software?  Then I can install the software manually and separately from the drivers?

Under Device Manager, for display adaptors, does it list the graphics card or a generic display adaptor? 

You can select in device manager to install drivers by selecting Update driver, browse my computer for drivers, select where the drivers are downloaded to and highlight, just follow along the installation process and they should install. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Just now, CommanderAlex said:

Under Device Manager, for display adaptors, does it list the graphics card or a generic display adaptor? 

You can select in device manager to install drivers by selecting Update driver, browse my computer for drivers, select where the drivers are downloaded to and highlight, just follow along the installation process and they should install. 

It lists "Radeon RX Vega"

8EMpZ0q.png

Do you suggest doing this if the drivers are not the generic adaptors?

It lists "Radeon RX Vega"

8EMpZ0q.png

Do you suggest doing this if the drivers are not the generic adaptors?

Right click on Radeon RX Vega and click on properties. Does the driver version listed at least the same version or revision date of the drivers that you installed? 

I've done this a few times after AMD drivers were not showing up when I right clicked on the desktop. 

Right click on Radeon RX Vega and click on properties. Does the driver version listed at least the same version or revision date of the drivers that you installed? 

I've done this a few times after AMD drivers were not showing up when I right clicked on the desktop. 

Yes it does.  The drivers I installed were the very latest ones released today and the revision date is yesterday.  I'm assuming that's timezone/internal testing difference because the version number in the same.

Yes it does.  The drivers I installed were the very latest ones released today and the revision date is yesterday.  I'm assuming that's timezone/internal testing difference because the version number in the same.

IIRC, the driver date will be the date that the drivers were released on or close to. 

10 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

IIRC, the driver date will be the date that the drivers were released on or close to. 

Yep, they seem to be the correct drivers then.  Also, it does appear when I right click on the desktop, but it doesn't open when I click it.

4 minutes ago, AdvocateOfNyx said:

Yep, they seem to be the correct drivers then.  Also, it does appear when I right click on the desktop, but it doesn't open when I click it.

Is everything else up to date??? Such as the other drivers and OS updates?

Is everything else up to date??? Such as the other drivers and OS updates?

OS updates are up to date, I updated yesterday.  Other drivers are good as far as I know, I check my sound drivers pretty regularly and my WiFi card (which I don't really use) hasn't received an update in forever.  Even my BIOS got updated when I installed the card this spring/summer.

22 minutes ago, AdvocateOfNyx said:

OS updates are up to date, I updated yesterday.  Other drivers are good as far as I know, I check my sound drivers pretty regularly and my WiFi card (which I don't really use) hasn't received an update in forever.  Even my BIOS got updated when I installed the card this spring/summer.

The only thing I can suggest is to try using DDU again. 

Hi, please open Event Viewer, navigate to Administrative Events, then click the button as shown below. A box will pop up; select "English" if it's not your primary language. Then upload the saved file here and I'll take a look at it.

2021-11-13_175427.png.33d9c0ec61162d19eaef64f4346d6ab5.png

6 minutes ago, Mavendow said:

Hi, please open Event Viewer, navigate to Administrative Events, then click the button as shown below. A box will pop up; select "English" if it's not your primary language. Then upload the saved file here and I'll take a look at it.

2021-11-13_175427.png.33d9c0ec61162d19eaef64f4346d6ab5.png

It would not let me upload it here because it was too big, so I uploaded it to this link.

https://ufile.io/97gxfvgz

1 hour ago, AdvocateOfNyx said:

It would not let me upload it here because it was too big, so I uploaded it to this link.

https://ufile.io/97gxfvgz

The AMD software is crashing, then the "AMD Crash Defender" is crashing. It's also failing to create a restore point. The diagnostics service for the restore point failure is also crashing with an "access denied" error. Something weird is going on with your hard drives as it says you have like 14 or 15 drives and it's trying to re-trim them but failing, suggesting these disks are not actually present or are dropping from the HAL. The AMD Performance Profile Client is crashing with error 409 suggesting some system files are corrupt. Volume Shadow Copy is full and failing to execute because of the aforementioned phantom disks.

There's 21,000 errors from DCOM, I think this is part of the problem. There's a service called DroidCam which is likewise crashing but it seems unrelated to the AMD problem. There's a whole slew of other applications crashing with error code 0x0000005 which is data execution prevention violations, suggesting they tried to access invalid memory.

In short, your OS is quite badly corrupt and needs to be fixed before we try anything else with the AMD drivers. There's a lot going on here so I just wrote a script to automate the process. Download and extract all the files in Repair.zip then run RunMe.cmd as administrator. You can right click and select "edit" or "open with notepad" if you want to see what it's going to do. It should reboot your computer once it's done. When the computer boots it'll say "Press any key to skip..." Don't press any keys, just let it do its thing.

After that, try running the AMD software again. If it still doesn't work, try DDU and installing again.

3 hours ago, Mavendow said:

The AMD software is crashing, then the "AMD Crash Defender" is crashing. It's also failing to create a restore point. The diagnostics service for the restore point failure is also crashing with an "access denied" error. Something weird is going on with your hard drives as it says you have like 14 or 15 drives and it's trying to re-trim them but failing, suggesting these disks are not actually present or are dropping from the HAL. The AMD Performance Profile Client is crashing with error 409 suggesting some system files are corrupt. Volume Shadow Copy is full and failing to execute because of the aforementioned phantom disks.

There's 21,000 errors from DCOM, I think this is part of the problem. There's a service called DroidCam which is likewise crashing but it seems unrelated to the AMD problem. There's a whole slew of other applications crashing with error code 0x0000005 which is data execution prevention violations, suggesting they tried to access invalid memory.

In short, your OS is quite badly corrupt and needs to be fixed before we try anything else with the AMD drivers. There's a lot going on here so I just wrote a script to automate the process. Download and extract all the files in Repair.zip then run RunMe.cmd as administrator. You can right click and select "edit" or "open with notepad" if you want to see what it's going to do. It should reboot your computer once it's done. When the computer boots it'll say "Press any key to skip..." Don't press any keys, just let it do its thing.

After that, try running the AMD software again. If it still doesn't work, try DDU and installing again.

Okay, I downloaded and ran the utility.  Ran it as admin, it restarted, did the disk cleaning thing, still did not work.  Booted in to safe mode and did another round of DDU, reinstalled drivers, and it still does not open.  Kinda lost at this point, but that's where I'm at.

Edit: Just to add some more information, I noticed that a lot of the DCOM errors I saw had the same APPID and CLSID.  Did a quick search and it seems like it's the xbox app and a ton of other people have the same problem with it creating errors every few seconds.

17 hours ago, AdvocateOfNyx said:

Edit: Just to add some more information, I noticed that a lot of the DCOM errors I saw had the same APPID and CLSID.  Did a quick search and it seems like it's the xbox app and a ton of other people have the same problem with it creating errors every few seconds.

It shouldn't now because that script fixes the permissions that were being denied. Some websites call it a "nuisance" error but it can have many negative effects. One of those is messing up the cryptographic subsystem thus causing apps to crash. Since that didn't fix it, that wasn't your problem, but we fixed it anyway.

Can you open AMD, let it crash, then upload the administrative events log again? Without all that nonsense cluttering the log I should be able to get an idea of what's going on.

On 11/18/2021 at 5:47 PM, Mavendow said:

It shouldn't now because that script fixes the permissions that were being denied. Some websites call it a "nuisance" error but it can have many negative effects. One of those is messing up the cryptographic subsystem thus causing apps to crash. Since that didn't fix it, that wasn't your problem, but we fixed it anyway.

Can you open AMD, let it crash, then upload the administrative events log again? Without all that nonsense cluttering the log I should be able to get an idea of what's going on.

It looks to me like there is still plenty of nonsense clogging the log but I'll give it a shot anyways, maybe it'll make more sense to you.

https://ufile.io/l4xvkczs

On 11/21/2021 at 1:40 PM, AdvocateOfNyx said:

It looks to me like there is still plenty of nonsense clogging the log but I'll give it a shot anyways, maybe it'll make more sense to you.

https://ufile.io/l4xvkczs

That error should be fixed by granting LocalActivation permission. In fact, only three of the errors numerous errors went away. I would've expected that to fix a lot more. That said, your copy of Windows was not even properly activated before, and the script did appear to fix that. So, great, that's progress!

I did some more research on the phantom disk issue; those are from the XBox app, which is also the App whose permissions are being denied despite the fact they've been manually set. I suspect what's happening is the app is creating virtual disks but not uninstalling them correctly. So when it tries to access these non-existent disks it's being denied. You can remove those disks in the Device Manager (View -> Show Hidden Devices) but since that involves possibly data-containing disks I will not make a script for that.

App Hangs and crashes aren't new on your system; the first one goes back to 4/11/2021. That coincides with the expiration of a local certificate with the key "a7 7a 2d 44 fa 1f ed 9a d2 87 f6 26 2d a3 b3 3b 0a cb 88 95." Now there is another one "f5 1a 2e a1 09 43 68 74 bd d0 52 27 58 ed 91 dc 32 6b 4c 75." Since they aren't valid, removing them should be harmless, if not they can just be re-added.

Finally, the slew of application crashes and hangs is too random to be anything other than motherboard/BIOS problems. Therefore, I suggest resetting your BIOS settings to default, updating the BIOS to the newest version, then resetting the BIOS to default again before you change any settings. The reason for the extra resets is to ensure that absolutely nothing is maintained from the old BIOS version. You can find BIOS updates for your motherboard on the manufacturer website.

If updating your BIOS does not resolve the continuing crashes then the problem is likely the motherboard. It's likely not any other hardware component because you're not getting bugchecks and likely not the OS because the commands I had you run should've remedied any relevant OS issues (such as the invalid activation).

So, just to recap:

1. Remove those phantom hard drives in Device Manager. (View -> Show Hidden Devices)
  2. Run RemoveInvalidCerts.cmd
  3. Update BIOS

On 11/17/2021 at 6:22 PM, AdvocateOfNyx said:

I decided to say screw it and reinstalled windows even though I didn't want to and it just works now.  I got nothing else, that's all I did.  I did this before and the problem eventually came back so I guess if it comes back up again I'll try to find a more permanent solution but at that point it may just be Linux time.