New Nvidia Image Scaling

Mister Woof
Go to solution Solved by Quackers101,

um? not sure, and nvidia 馃槙

also can you see this in geforce?

I'm a bit confused with the new Nvidia Image Scaling feature with the newest driver.

Previously, I was using Image Sharpening at 0.5 value. I liked how this sharped some images and removed some TAA blurriness in games.

Now with the recent update, it is changed to be "GPU Scaling & Sharpening"

image.png.a468050433608d006295814d3bfc3c04.png

How is this different than the old "Sharpening" only? Does the GPU scaling mean it reduces resolution scaling like in FSR?

It has "GPU Scaling & Sharpening" and then a sub field with a slider for "Sharpening," so it seems it should be separated from scaling. But there's no scaling option.

I don't want to run at a reduced scale resolution, just add sharpening.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post.聽

My System: i7-13700KF聽// Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix聽// MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi聽// 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32聽//聽Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE聽//聽Corsair 5000D Airflow聽// Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7聽//聽Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive聽//聽Displays: LG Ultragear聽32GP83B x2//聽Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

I didn't test yet, but I guess it will just change the usual shitty upscaling algo used when running the game in lower than native resolutions for the optimized Lanczos. If you run the game in the native resolution I would guess it will just add the sharpening filter.

Did some brief testing.

It seems it only does "GPU Scaling" when you set your resolution in-game to a lower resolution to your native resolution. If you enable the overlay feature, a green "NIS" icon appears on the top to indicate GPU scaling is active (in-game resolution lower than native). If you are at native resolution, GPU scaling is disabled (and it only does sharpening) and it has NIS in blue on the top left.

It also only works in fullscreen, which I never use anyway (multimonitor display) and always play borderless windowed.

Apparently you can force it in GFE and set a scale, but that isn't something that I'd use.

So - run your games in borderless windows, or native full screen - and it won't use GPU scaling, just sharpening as normal.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post.聽

My System: i7-13700KF聽// Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix聽// MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi聽// 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32聽//聽Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE聽//聽Corsair 5000D Airflow聽// Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7聽//聽Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive聽//聽Displays: LG Ultragear聽32GP83B x2//聽Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x