Effects of sudden power outage on SSD

fahdahmad13

Hey guys,i wanted to get maximum experience of people  who have faced problems with their SSD's due to sudden power loss of their system. Power Loss can be of any type,but why does it kills an SSD,

I live in Pakistan,and there are alots of power ouatges here

Please dont tell me 'Buy a UPS' as solution

I have heard some SSD's in the market have that capacitors,the SSD that does not have low power capacitors so in the event of a power outage data is completely lost. Can someone explain this to me? Which SSDs do have capacitors and which don't?

Please help me out !! 

​Which company makes more Reliable SSD's INTEL vs Samsung!

Wait dude, why the hell do you want a UPS? That stuff is for professionals. Seriously. The only way you can get power-loss protection nowadays is with an extremely expensive enterprise drive. Consumer SSDs don't have that protection because manufacturers are lazy. You can't just worry all day about it, just do whatever it is you do and stop being a worrywart.

The SSD 530 that I have is a great Sandforce drive, very reliable. Samsung's 840 EVO and Pro are both extremely reliable as well, but the EVO will have a shorter lifespan because of TLC NAND. None of these have power loss protection, but no one has had any problems with that. Don't ask questions like "which makes more reliable drives, Intel or Samsung" because you know very well that a flame war is going to start here. Intel and Samsung are both experienced NAND manufacturers; Intel does it through IMFT which is still run by Intel, and Samsung manufactures their own. Intel has been posting arguably slightly better reliability figures lately, but Samsung is great as well. As long as you don't buy a PNY SSD...

In order to get power-loss protection, you'll need to step up to something like a SSD 730 which is kinda expensive. Anything above that would be a DC3500/3700 which should be completely out of your league.

@tabascosauz UPS not for home? Why not? I have a server running 24/7 and I feel safer with a UPS than without. It smoothens the currrency, protecting from power losses and spikes caused by lightning etc. 

get m500, because it has power loss capacitor and its also the cheapest one.

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

My EVO is still living, and my netbook has died suddenly a LOT (I really should buy a new battery...).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Oh yea, I forgot the M500. You can get that if you care about power loss, it's a great little thing.

Well where I live the power is clean and consistent so I haven't ever needed a UPS, but if the power is as bad as you say it is then you should look into getting one.

Thankyou guys,i have nailed it down to Intel 730 and Crucial M500 .please give me your experience of power losses if you own an SSD

I live in Pakistan,and there are alots of power ouatges here!

Nice to meet a fellow citizen of a same country. 

I also live in Pakistan(Lahore) and know how you feel. 

DAMN

Humpty Dumpty was pushed.

I feel you brother :D  :) And i am also from Lahore,which place do you live ?

the Crucial M550 has those power-loss capabilities

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB 1866 Video Card: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G SSDSamsung 840 Evo 250GB HDD: WD 1TB + 500GB Caviar Blue
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Case: Gigabyte GZ-G1 Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown MousePad: Corsair MM200
Steam/Origin/Uplay: renz62