Easy switching between OS on diffrent drives?

sellXD
Go to solution Solved by G27Racer_188,

Looks like @cretsiah was correct. 

According to the manula https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/ROG_STRIX_Z390-E_GAMING/E14841_ROG_STRIX_Z390-E_GAMING_UM_V2_WEB.pdf page 83 it does state to pres F8 for selecting boot device during startup.

Hi all.

So i was intrigued to go linux after seeing what a mess win11 is going to be and i thought as a start i'll throw my spare M.2 SSD into my PC for testing it out.

However i now wonder if there is an easy way to set the booting of the different OS up.

My dream scenario would be to default boot into win10 and by hitting a key during boot to go into my linux drive but i'm expecting that it won't be that easy.

I don't want to go into my bios every time to switch the boot drive so it would be nice if anyone got suggestions for me!

Have your linux bootloader be able to chainload windows' bootloader, and make it the default option there.

In your bios, you'd have your linux disk chosen, and you could configure the bootloader to only show up if you hold a key, then you'd be able to select your linux distro.

You could also edit the Windows' bootloader to have your linux disk as a boot option.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

Your motherboard should have a key dedicated to opening boot selection menu directly. That's what I use. You set the windows drive as default as usual, but then you hit the appropriate key during boot and select the linux one from menu. That way you shouldTM avoid have to mess with bootloaders.

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

4 minutes ago, G27Racer_188 said:

Your motherboard should have a key dedicated to opening boot selection menu directly. That's what I use. You set the windows drive as default as usual, but then you hit the appropriate key during boot and select the linux one from menu. That way you shouldTM avoid have to mess with bootloaders.

I'm running a ROG STRIX Z390-E mainboard and tbh the bios of that one confuses me alot of times.

do you have any guidance for me to do that easily?

thanks!

according to the manual

during booting process press F8

current main system: as of 1st Jan 2023

motherboard : Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

ram : 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz

Video Card : RX 550 4 GIG

Monitor: BENQ 21 inch

According to the manula https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/ROG_STRIX_Z390-E_GAMING/E14841_ROG_STRIX_Z390-E_GAMING_UM_V2_WEB.pdf page 83 it does state to pres F8 for selecting boot device during startup.

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

11 minutes ago, G27Racer_188 said:

that explains alot. the manual included with the box doesn't have any mention of it and it's not even 80 pages thick xd

thank you all so much i'll try it tomorrow

• 1 month later...