CPU over heating

linkstyx

My ryzen 7 5800x is idling at 60 c and games at 80c. it is cooled by a nzxt kraken x63. fans are at full speed. my mother board is the asus b550 f-gaming wifi. what can i do to lower my temps?

EDIT: changed the thermal paste to the kryonaught thermal grease, reseated the AIO cooler, and made some tweaks to the PBO on the bios. System is now running at around 45 c

Edited by linkstyx

6 minutes ago, linkstyx said:

My ryzen 7 5800x is idling at 60 c and games at 80c. it is cooled by a nzxt kraken x63. fans are at full speed. my mother board is the asus b550 f-gaming wifi. what can i do to lower my temps?

A high idle typically indicates a bad mount. Have you checked to make sure the waterblock is correctly mounted to the CPU? Thermal paste was applied correctly? You took the plastic protective film off of the water block? The pump is plugged in (not just the fans, but the pump needs power, usually from SATA)?

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

31 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

A high idle typically indicates a bad mount. Have you checked to make sure the waterblock is correctly mounted to the CPU? Thermal paste was applied correctly? You took the plastic protective film off of the water block? The pump is plugged in (not just the fans, but the pump needs power, usually from SATA)?

Yes the block is mounted fully. The plastic cover was taken off. I even cleaned off the thermal paste and applied now paste. Pump is plugged into the sata and usb 2 is plugged in aswell. https://imgur.com/a/NYauGWg

7 minutes ago, linkstyx said:

Flip your radiator so the hoses are on the bottom or top mount it. The way it is now, you aren't going to get as much flow as you should. This probably isn't the cause, but it will certainly help.

Sorry I probably edited my post. Refresh plz. Build Specs Below.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
    32 GB (2X8) Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CAS 16
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
    Sabrent 1 TB TLC PCI 4.0 NVMe M.2
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
    MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34" UWQHD
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT 240mm
  • Operating System
    Windows 11

Yes the block is mounted fully. The plastic cover was taken off. I even cleaned off the thermal paste and applied now paste. Pump is plugged into the sata and usb 2 is plugged in aswell. https://imgur.com/a/NYauGWg

What paste did you use? How did you apply it?

Are you getting RPM readout in whatever software NZXT uses? Your certain all the screws for the cold plate or equally tightened? You can try and "shake" the water block and it doesn't move at all on the motherboard? How old is the system? What BIOS are you on?

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

2 minutes ago, mr fobs said:

Flip your radiator so the hoses are on the bottom or top mount it. The way it is now, you aren't going to get as much flow as you should. This probably isn't the cause, but it will certainly help.

I agree, but I doubt his tubes will be long enough to be at the bottom in this case, and the top may not have clearance with the VRM heatsinks....

OP, if you can, the ideal setup is indeed putting the radiator on the roof as exhaust.

6 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

What paste did you use? How did you apply it?

Are you getting RPM readout in whatever software NZXT uses? Your certain all the screws for the cold plate or equally tightened? You can try and "shake" the water block and it doesn't move at all on the motherboard? How old is the system? What BIOS are you on?

I am using the coolermaster high performance thermal paste. I put a pea sized glob on it. 

Yes I am getting a RPM readout in NZXT Cam. Yes there is not wobble to the water block when i move it around. The system is brand new just built it. Bios version is 2423 

6 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

I agree, but I doubt his tubes will be long enough to be at the bottom in this case, and the top may not have clearance with the VRM heatsinks....

OP, if you can, the ideal setup is indeed putting the radiator on the roof as exhaust.

I will give it a try. 

5 minutes ago, linkstyx said:

I am using the coolermaster high performance thermal paste. I put a pea sized glob on it. 

Yes I am getting a RPM readout in NZXT Cam. Yes there is not wobble to the water block when i move it around. The system is brand new just built it. Bios version is 2423 

Maybe use a little more than a pea sized glob. If you take the waterblock off carefully and pull it perfectly upward, you can take a pic and send us how the spread was. It may have not been enough paste, or may not have spread well. 

Pea size is not optimal since ryzen has a large heat dissipation area unlike intel cause ryzen uses chiplest and intel uses monolithic dies

I think the pref method of applying thermal paste on ryzen is an x with dots on each side, although just do whatever as long as it covers most of the ihs

39 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Pea size is not optimal since ryzen has a large heat dissipation area unlike intel cause ryzen uses chiplest and intel uses monolithic dies

I think the pref method of applying thermal paste on ryzen is an x with dots on each side, although just do whatever as long as it covers most of the ihs

Concerning the TIM, big thing here is just to get adequate coverage of the chip's lid.
That can be seen once the block is removed and the pattern is observed, if it's covering all of the lid there isn't anything more that can be done.

TBH I also use a pea sized blob right in the center of my chips and it does spread out and fully cover the chip's lid BUT it's also dependent on the TIM as to how well it spreads.
Been using that amount (Pea sized) with my coolers, blocks and even pots, covers the entire lid everytime.

Thicker TIMs won't spread out as far, others that's a little thinner in viscosity do this better like MX2/MX4 for example. That's why I switched from using AS5 Ceramique to the MX stuff, Ceramique DOES work but it's a thicker TIM that just doesn't spread out as well, plus it tends to induce socket rip-out of the chip when removing the cooler/block because it's thick in the first place.

My suggestion - Either use a little more TIM or a different TIM such as what I've named and see if there isn't a difference in temps under load right along with checking all the rest as suggested.
MX2/MX4, Noctua NT-H1 or any known "Good" TIM will provide the results as long as all the rest is right.
The Coolermaster stuff I'm not so sure about, probrably OK vs the others but I doubt it's actually the same tier of TIM as the others.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.