Buyer states he doesnt get any output from GPU

Deuxez

So i recently sold a friends XFX RX 590 Fatboy, and now the buyer contacted me stating that the card doesnt give an output to the screen. Only kind of output he gets is if he plugs the cable into the moderboard, but then its just a text saying "GPU missing" or something like that.. Neither me nor my friend had any kind of problem with that when we had it in our gaming rigs, so i dont know what couldve happened. I got proof that it worked before i sent it with the mail as i ran a little heaven benchmark, so im thinking something may have happened to the card during the shipping? Maybe broken port or maybe?

I also clearly stated that i wont take any kind of responsibility of what happens with the card after i sent the package.

Now i still want to try and figure out what could be the cause of this and just not dump him with a supposedly "broken" card.

I dont know what system he is trying the card in, so i cant really say the specs of it.

THO ive heard that people have had similare issues with their GPUs, so im sure its got something to do with his system not being compatible with the GPU because of either not enough power, or just something with the motherboard.

Anyone have any kind of idea what the problem could be?

4 minutes ago, DankDeuxez said:

So i recently sold a friends ccFatboy, and now the buyer contacted me stating that the card doesnt give an output to the screen. Only kind of output he gets is if he plugs the cable into the moderboard, but then its just a text saying "GPU missing" or something like that.. Neither me nor my friend had any kind of problem with that when we had it in our gaming rigs, so i dont know what couldve happened. I got proof that it worked before i sent it with the mail as i ran a little heaven benchmark, so im thinking something may have happened to the card during the shipping? Maybe broken port or maybe?

Luckily i clearly stated that i wont take any kind of responsibility of what happens with the card after i sent the package, and since it worked before i sent it, ill still get my money.

Now i still want to try and figure out what could be the cause of this and just not dump him with a supposedly "broken" card.

I dont know what system he is trying the card in, so i cant really say the specs of it.

THO ive heard that people have had similare issues with their GPUs, so im sure its got something to do with his system not being compatible with the GPU because of either not enough power, or just something with the motherboard.

Anyone have any kind of idea what the problem could be?

If the buyer provided the actual text that's showing on screen, that would be helpful. But with the limited information given, I would tell him to make sure his PSU is adequate and built-well enough for that card's power draw. Also have him check his BIOS settings to see if the system is prioritizing the onboard graphics over the PCIe GPU. Some older boards require such a setting be changed in the BIOS otherwise the PCIe GPU will not work.

If the buyer isn't willing to validate their system can support that card, there's not much else you can do to help them. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

4 minutes ago, DankDeuxez said:

happened to the card during the shipping

Is there insurance for the shipping?
If the shipping broke the card, you may get money from the insurance.

Was it well packaged?
Maybe he just didn't install it correctly.

My build:

CPU

Intel Core i7 9700 8x 3.00GHz So.1151

CPU cooler

be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim

Motherboard

MSI B360-A PRO Intel B360 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX

RAM

16GB (4x 4096MB) HyperX FURY black DDR4-2666

GPU

8GB Gigabyte GeForce RTX2070 WindForce 2X 3xDP/HDMI

SSD

500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280

HDD

4000GB WD Red WD40EFRX Intellipower 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s

Power Supply

bequiet! Straight Power 750W Platinum

Case

Fractal Design Define R6
3x bequiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM

11 minutes ago, suedseefrucht said:

Was it well packaged?
Maybe he just didn't install it correctly.

The card was shipped in a anti-static bag, in its original box that was then put in another box with packaging material in it. The seller stated in the same message that the GPU was well packaged.

And im also sure its just installed incorrectly, or its just some simple incompatibility between the motherboard and GPU.

Is there insurance for the shipping?
If the shipping broke the card, you may get money from the insurance.

No, from what i know there arent any type of insurance for the shipping.

Maybe it says  gpu power missing ... as in he didn't connect the pci-e 8 pin connectors. Maybe his power supply didn't have 2 connectors (if your card requires two).

Other than this, the only reason the card may not initialize, is if the bios on the computer is so ancient it doesn't have UEFI support / UEFI extensions ... if it's pure classic bios, it may not work well with these RX cards which have UEFI bioses.

Just now, mariushm said:

Maybe it says  gpu power missing ... as in he didn't connect the pci-e 8 pin connectors. Maybe his power supply didn't have 2 connectors (if your card requires two).

Yeah my first thought is that maybe he didnt connect the power cables, but since he havent give me any information about the situation, its hard to really tell whats going on.

Other than this, the only reason the card may not initialize, is if the bios on the computer is so ancient it doesn't have UEFI support / UEFI extensions ... if it's pure classic bios, it may not work well with these RX cards which have UEFI bioses.

Yep. I think this is the problem. Since it isnt recognized by the motherboard, it MUST be something with the motherboard bios that cant find / communicate with the GPU.

But as i previously stated, i dont know what specs he is actually running. Ill ask him later.