How do I install Windows 10-11 on my Surface device after wiping all the data in the SSD?

Go to solution Solved by Kilrah,

A telltale sign while installing that it has seen the BIOS license is that it won't ask you for which version (home, pro, etc) to install, it'll go straight to installing the one the license is for. 

Hello to all, I need to send my Surface Laptop 3 (128GB, i5-1035G7 model) for repairs tomorrow and I want to erase all sensitive data present in the SSD before sending it off -- I want to use Microsoft's Surface Data Eraser for this data wipe (PS: it's a program that requires a bootable, USB drive to erase all data within the Surface device after turning it on).

My concern is that Microsoft's info page on that tool doesn't say a word about how you reinstall your OS, which is worrying because the Surface Laptop 3 won't just install a fresh, activated copy of W10-W11 after being completely cleared from data!

Do Surface devices even have an activation key if I get requested one after trying to install W10 or W11 from an external bootable drive, or does Microsoft request some unique ID that can be acquired from the laptop's Serial Number? Has anyone ever done this before and if so could you tell me how you got Window installed + activated after erasing all data from the Surface's SSD?

All laptops have the license data stored in the BIOS so you can just wipe the drive, reinstall as normal from Windows install media and it'll "magically" be activated.

3 minutes ago, TheFlyingBanana said:

because the Surface Laptop 3 won't just install a fresh, activated copy of W10-W11 after being completely cleared from data!

That would be surprising.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

5 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

All laptops have the license data stored in the BIOS so you can just wipe the drive, reinstall as normal from Windows install media and it'll "magically" be activated.

That would be surprising.

Wow, it's really that simple? I had no clue every laptop had all the info needed in the BIOS to activate Windows when the installation medium is a random USB drive (Microsoft doesn't even mention what you mentioned on the laptop's papers or packaging... which they should) -- then I presume it's fine to just go ahead, without any worries, and use the Surface Data Eraser today and while installing a new copy of Windows 11 nothing will go wrong?

I really hope they don't ask me for a random code or I'll be screwed once I can no longer check anything -_-!

A telltale sign while installing that it has seen the BIOS license is that it won't ask you for which version (home, pro, etc) to install, it'll go straight to installing the one the license is for. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2